Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tutorial for Writelog for SO2R with 6700

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited January 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
After lost of testing here is tutorial how to set up Writelog (WL) for SO2R. I just saw that you may use WL for even Maestro. I have used this set up for some contests and it works very fine. 

The document can be found on my remote dx and contest blog: 

http://remotedxandcontestblog.sm0hrp.se/2017/12/16/tutorial-how-to-integrate-wl-with-flex-6700-for-s...

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
  • John K4SQC
    John K4SQC Member
    edited January 2018
    All of the "How to's" with Writelog to date have focused on either CW or RTTY.   We use Writelog for VHF  contesting: CW and SSB and digital modes.  SSB with Writelog has always been a bit tricky to use.  The challenge is the <Shift>+<F2> (or whatever F key I want to record on) for on-the-fly .wav file recording.  In the non-Flex world Writelog has a design that runs all audio, all of the time through the sound card.  Once the .wav file has been recorded the Flex  software makes it all work if you plug the mic into the radio but to record the file <Shift>+<F2> trips the PTT and that seems to shut off DAX and that then does not allow audio to flow to Writelog.  The upshot is no .wav is recorded.  

N1MMLogger+ seems to have avoided this issue by allowing a direct connect from Mic Stream to N1MM when using their on-the-fly recording scheme.  If I have observed correctly their on-th-fly scheme does not trip PTT.  With Writelog I have basically gone to using Audacity and simply avoiding on the fly recording.

The other thing I wish Writelog had not done is written a DAX/SmartCAt replacement.  Especially on 6m we go to MSK144 when SSB or CW slows down and for that I need SmartDAX and SmartCAT.  To make moving between SSSB/CW and MSK144/WSJT-X as easy as possible for the operators I prefer to just use the Flex connections.  Getting SmartDAX, SmartCAT and WritelogDAX and WritelogCAT to play nicely together can be really confusing.

A former boss once advised us - "Avoid the tyranny of the or!"  In VHF contesting it isn't CW or SSB or the new digital modes but all of them at what sometimes seems like random during a single contest or operating shift.

A "how to" addressing this setting that does not use Audacity would be nice.  Nothing wrong with Audacity but it does generate some extra steps in the process.

John K4SQC
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Tim,

I looked at that HelpDesk link earlier.  I just downloaded writelog and there is no "Flex 6000" series under the dropdown. No flex at all for that matter. I am using the latest demo version off the site.

Rich
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    this is good stuff.  Thanks to Kari for going through this painstaking work.  good job!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    Contact Kari, SM0HRP for clarification since he sourced the article.  He is good in QRZ
  • John K4SQC
    John K4SQC Member
    edited February 2018
    I think I finally figured this out - at least it works for me.  In the Writelog setup menu accessed by right clicking on the spectrum display window, check "Mic Stream"  On the Flex turn Xmt DAX off.  Make sure the <Entry Operator> is set to whomever will be doing the recording if you want the recorded message and the on-the-air voice to match. Do a <Shift> F2 (or whatever function key you want to record on) and record your message. <ESC> terminates the recording as always. Remember you are on-the-air.  Turn Xmt DAX back on.  Now F2 will play your CQ or whatever, while pushing the footswitch PTT will override DAX and put you on the air with your Mic.

The other option I have used successfully is Audacity.  Make sure the operator has registered via <Entry><Change Operator>.  Using Audacity record your message.  Save your message as F2-msg.wav.  The number of the function key in the file name needs to match the function key you will be using.  Export the Audacity file to the subdirectory matching the name (usually callsign) of the operator recording the message.

Either way seems to work.  The first is a little less cumbersome and involves no extra software.  The seond gives you the ability to use all of the Audacity tools to shape and edit the .wav file.  There may be other ways to do this but I have been successful with both of the above.

Even though Writelog has its own DAX and CAT function I have used SmartDAX and SmartCAT functions.  We switch between CW/Phone and MSK144 and FT8 and it is easier to use SmartCAT and SmartDAX to facilitate the switching between modes

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.