Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Turning on the Flex 6500 remotely.

Rick- K2RB
Rick- K2RB Member ✭✭
Trying to implement an appropriate way to turn on my Flex 6500 remotely.  If I have the remote plug to ground all the time would this have an an adverse affect on the radio.  I would be turning the power ( 12v) on and off as the means to activate the radio using a wemo switch on my power supply.  Is this a possible scenario or does the radio need the remote switch turned on and off by relay after power is supplied to the radio.  

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

There are various ways to skin a cat on this one. Some like to use I/P relays. Bekin Wemo makes such an animal where you can toggle the relay contacts on/off over the Internet. However, at my location I have an Internet A/C switching device for turning my computer on and off. It has 4 ports. I use one of the ports to apply A/C to a cheapie 12 Volt supply which supplies the voltage to a small 12 volt relay whose contacts are connected to the remote input of the Flex. Works very well as does the Wemo. When the contacts are closed, the radio is turned on. When the contacts are open, the radio turns off.

Jim, K6QE

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Your plan will work fine; that's what some of us do. I used to use the WeMo, then changed to a 3 port Global Cache closure unit to switch other things, too. One thing, though - when you cut the DC supply, any GPS or TCXO advantages are lost. Your radio will also throw a low voltage error message. If you can, leave rig power attached and use the remote closure to mimic pressing the front panel button.
  • Ken K7YR
    Ken K7YR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Rick,

Please view web site www.ControlByWeb.com.  I purchased a four switch relay, gave it an IP Address and use it to control my 6700, 6300 and antenna relays..  Works just great.  No Rube Goldberg  devices.

Ken K7YR

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I like these.. very good value

http://www.digital-loggers.com/ac.html

paired with one of these.. also a good value

http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

then you can use the ip power switch to turn it on and off..  They have a free ipad app and the power **** is web based.  very slick. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I use 3 WEMO switches mainly because they work seamlessly from my iPad remote. 1. Computer AC 2. 12 Astron AC supply 3. 12 Relay to 6700 AC power.
  • Javier, KC2QII
    Javier, KC2QII Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I use a WEMO Maker with the contact closure contacts wired to the  Remote On RCA input. A little pricey but it works well via my cell phone apps, both IPhone and Android.

• Rick- K2RB
    Rick- K2RB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I want to thank everyone for their support.  Some great ideas and possibilities.  Definite solutions and can't wait to try them.   Rick, K2RB
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I decided on the digital loggers solution.

I purchased a controllable digital loggers power **** and also one of their relay boards.  The power **** can be used to disable all A/C power to power supplies and other devices.  The relay controller allows me to remote power on/off the 6500 and also my Flex1500.

the digital loggers solutions are robust and easy.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

If you use a mini computer that was discussed by simon Lewis, you might also consider remoting a computer on and off also. Most computers are turned on by a SPST switch that requires a momentary closure to to turn it on and a momentary closure to turn it off. I use a remote relay that is pulsed on and off from programming pulsing on my remote power switch. Having the ability to remotely turn a computer on and off can be quite a powerful addition to the shack.

Jim, K6QE

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

Don't be misled with the kudos to WEMO smartphone app. Any of the I/P remote switchers can be accessed by entering the I/P address  of the unit (on iPhone Safari, for example) and you directly utilize the GUI of the remoted unit.

Jim, K6QE

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    @Jim k6QE. While entering ip addresses is doable. It takes time and effort to f=do so which can be a big PIA when remote. 'WEMO has an iPad app. Which is totally seamless. Gives you status of each control when you turn on the app and easily turns power on and off with the touch of the screen.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Certainly WEMO and an app work just great. For my data logger devices there is a direct url to enable/disable/cycle each device. On my iphone I just created a folder and put desktop URL apps for each device in the folder. It might even be quicker than the WEMO but I have not tested that. Anyway both methods work.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Not so, I just put an icon on the screen and there in less than a second.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'll second that. Well built unit. I've had mine for over a month and it works very well over the internet. Very easy to setuo.
  • Ken K7YR
    Ken K7YR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Using the Quad Web Relay www.controlByWeb.com and placing it's icon on your remote device screen the four switches are graphically shown...... Click on of off and away you go.

Ken K7YR
  • K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    The DLI stuff is great. The combination of the web power switch and their AC relay module is a wonderful idea. Completely plug and play. There is a iPhone app for the web power switch too. I especially love the ping loss monitor reboot function in the switch. The ping loss monitor can also work as a deadman "****" switch when operating remote and the internet goes down. I recently purchased the DIN relay for my remote Flex station http://www.digital-loggers.com/din.html  The scheduler can shut off the radio at 1 AM if I fall asleep at the remote shack.

Carmine
    W1EQX
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Totally agree.  I actually got mine at their facility that is nearby here in the silicon valley.  I rarely endorse companies but DL are super cool, the engineer/owner there gave us a total tour of their factory and showed off new toys.. Listened to us rave about how cool this stuff would be for ham radio.. then as we were departing hands full the engineer quietly shook our hands as he gave us his call sign and the fact he was a long time Amateur radio operator.  :-)
  • spopiela
    spopiela Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I like the Ipad/iphone easy connect approach with WEMO . Forty bucks per connection .. I'll tunnel in using VPN on my router and leave the computer off.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    "If I have the remote plug to ground all the time would this have an an adverse affect on the radio."

No.  That is what it was designed to do.
  • Rick, K7FYI
    Rick, K7FYI Member
    edited August 2016
    New Flex 6300 owner here - just being cautious and asking first to confirm my understanding (don't want to hurt my new radio!).  I'm taking from this thread that it's OK to leave the remote plug grounded and turn the radio on / off via the power supply, right?

I already have a RigRunner 4005i and can turn power to the rig on / off remotely through it.  
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I just received this from Amazon and had it hooked up and running in 10 minutes.  It cost $8.95 with Free shipping (Amazon Prime Member).  It has an AC pigtail to plug in and a three terminal panel to wire to  N.O. or N.C.  contacts.  It is slick, and cheaper than I could ever build myself!

http://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-AC-Protection-Bounce-Terminals/dp/B017743I7S?ie=UTF8&psc=1&re...

I am switching it with a NEO Wifi Controlled AC Switch that I also got from Amazon for about $22.  
    Or you can use a WiMo brand switch which is good, but more expensive.  

Both have iPhone and iPad applications to turn them on & off.

Ken - NM9P
  • Rick, K7FYI
    Rick, K7FYI Member
    edited August 2016
    Thanks, Ken. Since I already have the RigRunner, I'm hoping to be able to use it without doing anything extra.  I'm just concerned about cutting power that way to such a sophisticated rig.  
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

I normally use the remote on and off when I am remote.

BUT there are times when things get stuck

So I remotely shut off DC power.. never had an issue

Everytime I do a Firmware upgrade I always reboot DC power

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have three NEO units...one for remote on/off, one to switch my antenna (by turning off power to my Ameritron switch), and one to cycle power supply when I hook it up. At $22 each, I thought it was a bargain.
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016

Ken,

When you connected the NEO Wifi Controlled AC Switch and Control Relay, did you connect them as follow?

- Plug the NEO Wifi Controlled AC Switch into a 120 V outlet

- Plug themale end of the Pigtail cable into the NEO Wifi Controlled AC Switch and connect the female end to the Control Relay

- Connect a RCA Plug pigtail to the NC and Common on the Control Relay

- Plug the RCA connector to the Remote port on the rear of the 6500

- Enable "Remote" in the SDR

Thanks

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Essentially, except that I used the COM and N.O. Terminals so that they close when the NEO power is switched ON., thus turning the rig ON. After enabling Remote in SDR, I needed to power cycle the 6500. I notice that the LED now remains ON when the 6500 is turned OFF, but changes color. I think to light orange or Amber. I don't remember right now. I assume that this is normal?
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I originally thought of using the WEMO Web power switch, but bought the Digital Loggers Web power switch, mentioned above, instead.  The primary reason I like the Digital Loggers unit is that it is hard-wired to the Ethernet network via a CAT5 cable, whereas the WEMO is Wi-Fi, and I was concerned about Wi-Fi failure vs the better reliability of hard wiring via CAT5.  I don't use a wireless router but rather have a wireless access point connected to my network, situated in a more central location of my home, and it has locked up on a power dip at times (i have since added a UPS to its power feed).

Really, any additional contact closure for the power on port of the Flex radio is unnecessary.  Install a shorted RCA plug and anytime you power cycle the Digital Loggers power switch feeding the AC to the radio's DC supply, the radio will turn off and back on without you being present to hit the power switch.  The Digital Loggers unit also has 8 independently operated outlets, so you can reboot your PC as well.  It also has a programming capability so you can ping your router and reboot it should it lock up.  Plus, I do as mentioned above: With internal programming it powers off certain pieces of equipment in late evening should I forget to do so.

Greg - N8GD
  • K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Greg,

I also have been using the Digital Loggers Web power switch here for remote control for a number of years with great results. Love the ping reset and scripting functions too. I would recommend it.

Digital Loggers has a few other great products as well that could be used for remote Flex use as well. Their informational videos on the web site are "campy" but informative.

Carmine W1EQX
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Great switch, been using it for a couple of years.
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have two Web Power Switches from Digital Loggers. Very reliable -- never had either go off-line unintentionally or require a manual reboot after power failures. 

I use one to control a pneumatic mast and compressor from my desktop PC and Android smartphone and another for remote operations (via OpenVPN) to control my Flex 6500, linear amplifier, DC power supplies, Ethernet to serial adapters and other gear.  

No special client software is required -- any computing device that runs an internet browser can access a Web Power Switch. Here is the control panel for a three year old Web Power Switch 4:

imageimage

At $140 they are well-made and cost-effective.

Larry KB1VFU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.