Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Turning On/Off 6600 Remotely

Hugo Escalante
Hugo Escalante Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I brought this (AC/DC Power Relay with Protection & De-Bounce. **** Terminals. 120V Trigger Input)image

Anyone have a wire diagram, idiot proof how to wire this up to the 6600 to turn it on and off remotely.

Answers

• Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Use that myself.  Shield of RCA to Common and to Normally open to RCA center pin.
    Power up needs to hold this shorted for as long as you want 6600 on and works perfectly.
    Need to look carefully for the N/C and N/O.  Top to bottom in your picture is N/O common N/C 
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Yep just need a dry contact to the remote jack.
  • Hugo Escalante
    Hugo Escalante Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So what I want to do is turn on the Flex 6600 remotely from a Wemo type device.
    So if I wire it according to your reply and plug the relay in to wall socket, I'm I able to then connect the Wemo to the power supply and remotely turn the power supply on/off and the 6600 will too??

• Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hugo, yes control the WEMO device which will apply A/C power to the relay and the dry contacts of a this  device will turn the 66oo on.  You need to enable this on the Radio Setting panel.  That enable remote control.  Hope that helps. I am using it right not that way.  I control the PC and monitors and rotor as well with WEMO devices. 73, Good luck!
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    It is implied that the 12VDC supply to the radio is always on, just the remote jack on the radio gets shorted together the entire time the radio is to be turned on. Unsure what the results would be switching power on and off with the remote jack shorted, doesn't sound desirable to me anyway.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have 2 Wemo switches.  I turn the power supply on first, then turn on the switch that operates the relay and turns on the radio.  In shutting down, I do the reverse.
  • Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Like Neil noted best to remote power on/off 6600 and then 12 volt power off as radio can shut down orderly.  I have found the Web Power Pro PDU to really work great and use two, one for non UPS power items and one for UPS power items like PC and router so have full remote power control.
    Used Iris WEMO devices at first and found the Web power units really much better.

• W9KG
    W9KG Member
    edited June 2018
    rjguidrysr, can you provide a link to your device?
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Neil N3DF thanks for the info, still learning new tricks.
  • Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Amazon quick delivery and works great.  I picked up a box of 1 foot long power cords offered as well and make odd shaped wall plugs/transformers able to fit nicely on all outlets.  There are  8 controlled and two on all the time if needed.  WifI if needed and I looked inside and well made!

• Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Unit is easy to set up: get a IP address and set a TCP port  so my unit is say 192.168.1.134 port 8001
    At home PC just use my static IP at remote or domain name and port 8001 and I have full control of unit, it's setting and logged data as well.
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've had good luck with this device which sells for $12 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XHF67G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged it into the raspberry pi that I use for remote access VPN and remoting the SPE amplifier (via USB). When I want to power cycle the 6600 I just use a command line command. There is existing open source software (available in debian/raspian) for interfacing with this unit. 

If anyone is interested I can share the name of the command line program. I think it's usbrelay. 
  • Bob Drake
    Bob Drake Member
    edited June 2018
    I have a 6500 and just saw this power relay. I already have a DL Pro Switch. Can you advise in very simple terms or better yet a diagram how to wire this and the type of 1/8” plug I need (ie 2 segments, or three segments) and which wires goes to each. AF7EL@yahoo.com
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have my Remote RCA jack permanently shorted with an RCA plug. I have a Digital Loggers Web Power Switch that is programmed to shut down my Flex-6300 every night by killing the 12V power supply and restarting it every morning by turning on the supply. In the 3 years that I have done this daily, I have never experienced a problem at all. Flex had originally said this method was acceptable, but more recent thinking has stated that switching the Remote jack is safer. I think that because I never have SSDR, DAX, or CAT running at power down, I avoid having the radio doing something during that power off. YMMV. The fact that DAX and CAT are now enabled only when SSDR executes may be a better means of safely removing and reapplying power to a 6K radio. when the Remote is enabled.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have my Remote RCA jack permanently shorted with an RCA plug. I have a Digital Loggers Web Power Switch that is programmed to shut down my Flex-6300 every night by killing the 12V power supply and restarting it every morning by turning on the supply. In the 3 years that I have done this daily, I have never experienced a problem at all. Flex had originally said this method was acceptable, but more recent thinking has stated that switching the Remote jack is safer. I think that because I never have SSDR, DAX, or CAT running at power down, I avoid having the radio doing something during that power off. YMMV. The fact that DAX and CAT are now enabled only when SSDR executes may be a better means of safely removing and reapplying power to a 6K radio. when the Remote is enabled.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.