Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuning Steps

Richard, N7HX
Richard, N7HX Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I noticed that page 13 of the software user manual says that the mouse wheel tunes in 10 Hz steps. My mouse wheel tunes in 50 Hz steps. Anyway to change this?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    The software manual is incorrect. The tune steps are fixed and are mode specific; 10 Hz for narrow modes and 50 Hz for wide modes. User settable mode specific tune steps is planned for a future release.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Richard, Until Flex is able to add to SSDR, you can change the resolution if you're using DDUtil. In DDUtil you can set the resolution differently for AM, SSB and CW....
  • W4CCW
    W4CCW Member
    edited October 2013
    Richard, I am using the DxLab suite and with the Commander module I can place the cursor at the 10 hz digit and then tune the Flex 6500 in 10 hz step with either the mouse wheel or the page-up or page down keys. Craig W4CCW
  • W4CCW
    W4CCW Member
    edited October 2013
    Where in DDUtil do you change the resolution?
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If you have the FlexControl Knob, you can use DDUtil, instead of SSDR, to control the knob functions. One of the controllable functions is knob resolution. DDUtil only sets resolution if you're using the Flex Knob.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    See snapshot for DDUtil option to select the step. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • W4CCW
    W4CCW Member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks Al. I do not have the tuning knob so I guess I'll keep using Commander in the DXLab suite to accomplish the same thing...50hz steps are just not acceptable for SSB.
  • Richard, N7HX
    Richard, N7HX Member
    edited October 2013
    Craig, you mentioned that you are able to change the tuning steps using DXLab and the mouse wheel. Can DXLab control the radio using the combination of CAT and DXLab, or are additional programs also needed?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    DDUtil also adds the ability to shift control from Slice A to Slice B and other functions such as A/B switching, variable tuning speeds, auto-accelerate tuning speed, and more. Unfortunately there are a few interesting trade-offs using DDUtil to interface the Knob. * it is a bit more sluggish, because it uses CAT control functions, * tuning to the edge of the screen doesn't activate screen/pan scrolling (which may be a plus on occasion.) * When changing tuning speeds, they don't always wind up changing at rounded numbers and you have to fiddle with it to get it back "on the numbers." * occasionally there are some additional mystery glitches that I haven't been able to trace. Sometimes I use it, and sometimes I don't. It depends upon what mood I am in. BTW. There is a way to switch between a rig using SmartSDR and a rig using PowerSDR See my post in the thread "Sharing Flex Control"
  • dj4zn
    dj4zn Member
    edited October 2013
    IMHO the user should be free To choose between a number of tuning step options down To 1 Hz. Jost, DJ4ZN
  • W4CCW
    W4CCW Member
    edited October 2013
    No additional program is needed.. I simply click on the commander freq and then rool the mouse wheel; the frequency then changes by 10hz or whichever I choose.
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This change has been added to the manual and will be in the next release. Thank you for reporting the issue!
  • Richard, N7HX
    Richard, N7HX Member
    edited October 2013
    Does this mean that you will incorporate the option to choose tuning steps in the next software update? It sure will be welcome.
  • Tim K8XS
    Tim K8XS Member
    edited October 2013
    This requires DDUTIL V3
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Sorry for the confusion. I was only referring to the manual change. However, this is likely a feature that we implement in the future.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.