Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuning step size - 2 panadapters issue

John - AF3K
John - AF3K Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Playing with my new 6600 M for a week now and just super impressed - great radio. Thanks Flex team!  

One small issue I'm having (v 2.1.32.38) is when using two panadapters I can't figure out how to independently set the tuning step size on each.  Setting panadapter A to tune in 5 Hz increments works great, but then setting panadapter B to tune in 100 Hz increments results in changing the tuning increment on A to 100 Hz as well. This works either way - the tuning step set on one panadapter seems to be immediately inherited by the other.  This happens if both panadapters are on the same or different bands, and regardless if setting the step size on the 6600M front panel, or using SmartSDR for Windows. I also tried enabling/disabling Snap to Tune but that didn't fix it either. The video below illustrates using the 6600 M front panel.

Any ideas?

Thank you! John, AF3K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40qRutdcV3g

Answers

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Might be a bug.

I just checked mine and has same issue. Only works if you run different modes. I would not think that flex would have intended it that way.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Put each pan adapter on its own scu then they should be independent.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If he has two open then they are already using both SCU ?
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    On the 6700 the step is associated with the mode regardless of whether the slice is on a different SCU.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I checked and if you put them on separate SCUs it does work.

Seems you should be able to tie step size to a knob and not just a SCU.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I don't understand,,how do you assign what SCU you want?
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Bill, If I’ve been understanding the SCU descriptions in other postings then Ant1 and Ant2 would be (forced?) onto different SCUs (they are different antenna’s after all) which should then permit different step settings. Apparently those settings are “inherited” by every slice receiver on the same SCU. (Did I get that right someone?
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hello john-

yes, you are correct that if 2 antennas are attached to the radio and there are slices allocated to each ANT then both SCUs are in play. I have observed that SSDR software on a PC uses the same step value for any slice "on the same mode" regardless of the SCU. For example, slice A is DigU on ANT1 with a step of 5 then slice B on DigU ANT2 would have the same step value of 5. Changing Slice B step will change Slice A step as well.

I have checked this out a few times. 

However, Slice C on ANT1 with a mode of CW can have it's own different step value.

There are several parameters that are related to mode. The High and Low cut parameters are associated with mode, as an example.

I believe all of this info is in the back of the manual.

Hope this helps.
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What settings did you use?  I can't seem to replicate that. 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Just looks like a small bug in SSDR. No big deal.
    :)
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It does seem like the 6600 is behaving like the 6700 as Bill, W2PKY mentions. 

I'd like to understand if that's really the intended behavior.  

What makes me think otherwise is that when the 6600 and SmartSDR for Windows manuals refer to tune step size being mode specific, it is within the context of slice settings, and relating to step sizes available for USB (i.e. 1, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1k, 2k, 3k) being different than step sizes available for CW (i.e 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 200, 400) , etc. 

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    The 6600M is working as designed.  Tune Steps are mode dependent, not slice or panadapter.  SCUs (connected antenna) have nothing to do with Tune Steps values.
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tim, Thank you for clearing this up. Good to know.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    You're welcome.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.