Tuner/SWR Display - 6000 Series

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I was listening / watching the Flex net on 1/10. On Dudley's (WA5QPZ) Flex 6300 screen, I notice that the tuner display shows all three statuses, Success, Bypass and Memory highlighted. What does that mean? Does it mean that the tuner found a match, but that the match without the tuner was better?

Secondly, I noticed that the SWR display is peaking between 2.0 and 2.5:1. Is it okay to operate with an SWR this high? I usually get nervous when my SWR indicates more than 1.5:1.

Since the radio is only showing 50 watts out, I am assuming that Dudley is driving an amp. Is it advisable to use the tuner to tune an SWR mismatch to the input of the amp/

73,Mark
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 395 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1050 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
I see this went unanswered. Did you figure this out Mark?

I have not used internal tuner until recently and showing success and byp at same time.

It almost seems like this happens when it attempts to tune and the antenna has a good match so it bypasses and says success.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
 I notice that the tuner display shows all three statuses, Success, Bypass and Memory highlighted. What does that mean? 

This is in the manual.

Bypass is a successful operation.  if the SWR in bypass is better than what the ATU can do, then it puts the ATU into bypass and then saves that setting as a ATU memory resulting in all three indicators being green

Secondly, I noticed that the SWR display is peaking between 2.0 and 2.5:1. Is it okay to operate with an SWR this high?

Yes, the mismatch is turning some of your RF into heat.

Is it advisable to use the tuner to tune an SWR mismatch to the input of the amp

No.  Tune the amp to match the exciter
(Edited)