Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tune option (amplifier pulsed mode)

Steve Walker
Steve Walker Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
It would be nice if the great coders at FRS could add an option for a "duty cycle" tune mode - tune is great for SWR (de)peaking but not so good for a manual amp tune up, glowing valves and all that jazz.

Have a duty cycle of 50/50 pulsed tune which would help reduce the risk of amp trouble. Or two tone or a sweep, whichever people feel is the safest or most effective to tune an amp up without the risk of a solid carrier.

Like the 3rd party amp tuners you can buy. Duty cycle rate in the radio settings somewhere as a slider, right click 'Tune' button to change to DC mode and again to go back to carrier mode

73 Steve

Comments

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I think this is a great idea and it cannot be that hard to do and it would be a feature not available on another radio I know of. I say yes,yes,yes!
  • Kevin WB4AIO
    Kevin WB4AIO Member
    edited December 2016
    I suggest that the pulses have a very low duty cycle, or at least an option/slider for such. I created an audio file with a series of 1 kHz pulses with Audacity that allows me to tune my kilowatt amp at 1 kW PEP while having an average power (both PEP and average as shown on a Nye Viking wattmeter) of less than 10 Watts. Very low stress.

I just feed the audio into one channel of the mixer that drives the Flex's audio input. But it sure would be nice to have something like this built into the software.

Here's the file if anyone wants to try it:

http://liberty.3950.net/WB4AIO%20tuneup%20pulses.mp3

Kevin.

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

A while ago created a software version of the hardware "****" for a friend in Texas- but got slated by so many people as selling "snake oil" I decided to just not promote it anymore.    It was free, I did it for a friend and have never used it myself.  Go figure...

I know it works with SmartSDR and DAX and there are around 200 people using it.

If you want to try it.... it's here.

http://****.g7eix.com/

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I wrote it for Windows 7 but It runs on Windows 8 OK - but may pop up an untrusted window the first time you run it.    I may un-archive the source code and update it for Windows 8 if people want to use it.   But trust it once and you should be ok for consecutive launches.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    G7EIX works great with 6000 series, thanks.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    You are welcome!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Why not use CWX and put a bunch of e's in one of the macros. Set the speed up to 50 to 70 wpm.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Indeed. Both options are FREE! So you can take your pick. Personally don't own or have ever owned an amp, so shall never know. :-)
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    A built in pulser is a nice idea but I find high speed CW does the job pretty well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.