Tune OK, but talk SWR high on the Flex 6500

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
The tuner seems to tune OK. But come time to MOX, SWR pegs. Checking tune again, OK. By any chance is this a symptom of RF getting into something its not suppose to? Antenna is a long wire into a 9:1 balum, then to the 6500 v2.49. Thanks, WG0C
Photo of WG0C

WG0C

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of AH0U

AH0U

• 338 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Do you have the AFU turned on??
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1652 Posts
  • 600 Reply Likes
It does sound like RF getting in. Tune is at lower power; try adjusting your TX power down to match and see if that helps. End-fed wires often have RF issues. How is your station grounding?
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 362 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Yes, might be a bad ground connection at a coax connector. You can see this problem while in tune if you increase the tune power setting. Start with a tune power setting of 25 watts and if you don't see the high SWR, increase tune power, you will see it as the connection fails with power.
Photo of WG0C

WG0C

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Not sure what a AFU is. I think you meant the ATU and yes this is enabled.

Tune mode 0-100 SWR OK. In MOX mode high SWR 1-100. It's interesting however, the SWR will briefly peak full scale when un-keying in tune mode. I will need to brave the bone chilling cold here in Minnesota to see if the antenna RF ground has changed. Most likely. This is a remote base so it's a long drive to the site. Might be a few days before I can get up there.

I'll report back what I find.

Thanks of the replies. 73
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1652 Posts
  • 600 Reply Likes
Maybe frozen ground isn't as good a ground? Or the cold has affected the connections. 

Stay warm -- below zero wind chills here in Virginia. I left Vegas for this??