Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Trying to Using two pc win 10 with SmartLink from the same IP address ??

Mario Degabriele
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am able to login from both pc, local and remote one at a time or one local and one remote. But never can log them both at the same time from remote. when having one logged in remote with SmartLink. If i try to log in a second computer from the same IP address using SmartLink, it will tell me that the radio is not registered. And if I register it, it will register but unregistered the other pc. So I can only register one pc at one time. 

I am using SmartSdr v3.0.19

Is there any restriction. or I must be doing some thing wrong????

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi

If I read what you wrote correctly, why would you try to connect in such a way?  SmartLink is designed to only work from a remote PC that is not on the same local internet.

If you are trying to use 2 PC's on the same 'home' network, then there is no need to use a SmartLink login.  

If I misunderstood what you are asking, maybe you can draw a diagram of the network you are trying to use.

Mike

• Mario Degabriele
    edited April 2019
    Hi

when i am remote i will not be at home but at a different location.

thanks 
    Mario
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You don't register the clients only the radio when local. When remote and logged in your Radio will appear in the radio browser with the SmartLink label. Are you VPNing into your home network? If yes then don't use SmartLink or disconnect VPN. If you don't see radio when it has been registered then you have a firewall issue with home network which is preventing registered radio from getting to internet.
  • Mario Degabriele
    edited April 2019
    Hi

When local I can only register the radio from one pc only. And from local if on the second pc I go to SmartLink Setup it will tell me "not configured for SmartLink Press Register to enable SmartLink".  It will register OK, but unregistered the first pc and SmartLink will not work from remote location.

In other words I can only register my 6500 to one pc at a time.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The reason this won't work is not because of SmartLink or anything FLEX is doing, This is a limitation of the way the internet networking was set up all those years ago, The same limitations happens with any device and or software that uses ports like IRLP, EchoLink etc. without extensive routing or maybe a VPN to effectively put everything on the same sub-net inside YOUR router.
    Hope this helps you understand Mike's comments.
    WX7Y
  • Mario Degabriele
    edited September 2019
    Hi thanks 

So if i understand well it is because I any trying to use two Pc from the same router. 

Thanks a lot to all.

Mario 9H1MD
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    I was just going to echo what WX7Y said, but it has to do with internet routing, and while I can explain why it won't work, it isn't designed to work that way.  
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    No, It's because you're trying to use 2 ITEMS with the same IP address and DIFFERENT MAC ADDRESSES....  That's like having TWO APARTMENTS or houses with the same address...  Half the time your Mail would go to the wrong house...  It's the way IP Addresses work.  Good Luck.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What happens if you assign each PC a different IP address? I don't understand why you would want them to be the same. Is there a reason for doing that?
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So if you want to use two PC’s remotely; VPNing into your home network is a viable option. I used VPN before SmartLink existed. I switched to SmartLink since I only use 1 PC remotely. A quick search of the community should result in many VPN articles.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If your on YOUR LAN both computers need to be on different address for anything to work.

Running SmartLink the traffic goes out to the WAN and back through your router which  allows  1 Smart Link (WAN) connection and one LAN connection.
    Running on your LAN where the radio also sit's from both computers being on different IP address and NOT using smartLink also work because your not using your router to go to the WAN and back in.
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    As I understand, the issue is that you have two PCs on the same router, each subject to NAT (Network Address Translation), a 'trick' that lets multiple devices share one PUBLIC IP address among several devices each with unique, private/non-routable addresses. SSDR software apparently can't handle multiple requests from behind the same NAT device, this sounds like a software feature request to me, but it sounds major/non-trivial.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Remoting twice from two client devices on the same external LAN to one radio works great. Radio is registered with SmartLink, clients have to be logged into same account radio is registered to. Dudley
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    There seem to be a few misunderstandings going on here (Dudley is right on the money :-) A connection between two network endpoints is defined by 4 things: source address, source port, destination address, and destination port (these define a “socket”). Let’s call the radio the source, which means the source address and port are fixed, or at least the same for all clients (SSDR, etc.). Thus the only time there is a problem is if both destination (the client) address and port values are the same. When connecting two local sessions to one radio, there are different client addresses, the ports don’t matter. When one client is remote and one local, obviously the addresses will be different, again the ports don’t matter. When both clients are remote, and on the same remote network with NAT (the norm for residential networks with a single public IP), they will obviously have the same destination IP address, but NAT on the remote end will guarantee a unique port for each client. So, we still have unique socket connections. This is totally different from having two servers on the same network wanting to use the same port numbers, i.e. 2 IRLP or EchoLink nodes. For those on a residential network with a single IP, you need a VPN for one of them. Hope that is clear enough, and that I have not misconstrued the discussion going on here (it’s late and I’m on my iPad :-) Ted VE3TRQ
  • John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    This thread has raised some interesting points. 

I'm still on v2.4.9, but when remote I would really like to use my Maestro (for CW as it has a key!) and use my laptop for FT8 (and logging, as currently).  Am I correct in drawing a conclusion from this tread that with v3 I would be able only to remotely connect to my Flex, at the same location and hence the same IP address, using either my Maestro or with SSDR (on my laptop), but not with both at the same time?

John, G3WKL
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You should be able to connect as many devices as the radio allows. For v3 that would be two GUI sessions, and for both v2 or v3 that would mean many DAX / CAT connections. (Your only limit would be network bandwidth and radio processing power). Location has little bearing here.
  • John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks Ted, I must be misunderstanding this thread! I'll have to read it again John, G3WKL
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You are not misunderstanding the thread, John - there is just some conflicting information in there!
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mario did you find your issue? If so please document your results / findings.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.