Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Trying to setup N1MM+ for CW via CWT on Flex 6500

Steve
Steve Member ✭✭
I'm trying to get my new 6500 to work with N1MM+ for CWT keying.
I created a new com port (Com 9 ptt,rts) with the CAT program. I have configured COM 9 in N1MM+ DTR=PTT,RTS=Always Off,TX=Both

I created my macros:

###################
#   RUN Messages
###################
F1 Cq, {CAT1ASC KY cq test  {MYCALL} {MYCALL};}
F2 Exch, {CAT1ASC KY {SENTRSTCUT} {EXCH};}
F3 Tu,{CAT1ASC KY tu ;}
F4 {MYCALL},{CAT1ASC KY {MYCALL};}
F5 His Call,{CAT1ASC KY !;}
F6 Repeat, {CAT1ASC KY {SENTRSTCUT} {EXCH} {EXCH};}
F7 Empty,
F8 Agn?,{CAT1ASC KY agn?;}
F9 Nr?,{CAT1ASC KY nr?;}
F10 Call?,{CAT1ASC KY cl?;}
F11 Empty,
F12 Wipe,{WIPE}
#
###################
#   S&P Messages
###################
F1 Qrl?,{CAT1ASC KY qrl? de {MYCALL};}
F2 Exch,{CAT1ASC KY TU 5nn;}
F3 Tu,{CAT1ASC KY tu;}
F4 {MYCALL},{CAT1ASC KY {MYCALL};}
F5 His Call,{CAT1ASC KY !;}
F6 Repeat,{CAT1ASC KY {SENTRSTCUT} {EXCH} {EXCH};}
F7 Empty, 
F8 Agn?,{CAT1ASC KY agn?;}
F9 Nr?,{CAT1ASC KY nr?;}
F10 Call?,{CAT1ASC KY cl?;}
F11 Empty, 
F12 Wipe,{WIPE}

For some reason this is not working. I'm surely overlooking something.
Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Steve AI9T
steve@ai9t.com

Answers

• Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    This should have said via CWX not CWT my mistake!
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    My Set-up

• Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Hi Terry
    I changed my COM 9 setup from DTR=Always Off to Always but it made no difference.
    What is the COM106 below your Com6?

Is there anything else I need to switch on to activate this?
    The CWX does key from the 6500 Interface Screen.

Here is my setup after I changed it.

• Joe Duerbusch
    Joe Duerbusch Member
    edited October 2015
    I did not know that you could run CWX from an outside program link N1MM.  I am using a K1EL keyer that works fine.

Joe K0BX
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Hi Joe
    Yes I guess it is possible and it is documented. But I'm not having any luck here. yet!
    I don't have a K1EL keyer so I need to get this to work.
    Steve AI9T
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    OK I got it figured it out. If I remove the Port for the other Radio from the Hardware tab in the Config of N1MM+ the 6500 will send CW from N1MM. So for CW I can not have 2 rigs in the N1MM+ configuration. However in RTTY having 2 rigs defined and running SO2R works just fine.

Just on thing running CW this way I hear no Side Tone. Is that normal??

Thanks
    Steve AI9T
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    No, you should be able to hear side-tone. Do you have that selected on the RX Window?
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Are you running DAX or LAN Remote audio?  Flex only sends sidetone on the analog ports. 

Two other questions: do the speed change commands (>> and <<) work?  And what happens when you press ESC while you're sending a macro?   Does it stop sending the macro or keep rolling to the end?

I had trouble with these two things last year and just broke down and got a K1EL, but curious if it's better with newer Flex software.
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Terry and Asher
    I'm running Lan Remote. So your saying in Lan Remote I won't hear the sidetone? Is that correct?
    I also did try to hit the excape key and it will not stop the transmission in Lan Remote.

Steve
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    My mistake.  You should have sidetone with CWX in LAN remote.  Do the speed change commands work?
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    While in remote, you should have sidetone from your computer sound card.  As far as I know you will have to change speed from the CWX and the escape key won't stop N1MM macros. I usually use a macro from the CWX to call stations or CQ just because I can hit escape key to stop sending if I hear the station returning to someone else.

• Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    OK I guess I must be missing a switch or setting for the Sidetone in Lan remote. I do have the Sidetone slider turned up all the way but still no sound from the speakers. I must be overlooking something.

• Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    You can hear cw and ssb through your speakers?  You are actually keying the transmitter, right? You have the CWX SETUP and LIVE buttons activated and you have pressed the send button. (As far as I know you have to be keying the Flex to hear a sidetone.) Can you plug headphones into your compute's headphone jack and hear signals and sidetone there?  (Or maybe you have something plugged into the computer's ear phone jack, which would block the speaker.... I feel like I'm insulting your intelligence, Steve, but it just sounds like something simple, your missing. At my age, I seem to do that everyday. 

• Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Your not insulting me at all. You are asking the right questions.

I can hear audio from the radio both CQ and SSB or any mode for that mater using Lan Remote.
    If I open CWX I can send Live or with an F key. I can hear the Sidetone doing that.The only place I don't hear Sidetone is when I am running N1MM in Lan Remote. The transmitter is keying and I can hear it on my other radio. I'm sure its just something I'm missing.

By the way I'm not a spring chicken myself. I forget a lot too.
  • Bob K4RLC
    Bob K4RLC Member
    edited August 2016
    So have some time b4 ARRL CW later this month and trying to configure N1MM to directly key cw in the 6500. Sorry but I can't decipher from the above postings if this is possible or if I need an external hardware keyer? Someone had asked for a "Dummies" quick to interfacing the 6500 and N1MM...if I've missed that in reviewing the postings, would certain appreciate that.
    TIA,
    Bob K4RLC
  • Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited June 2016

Bob, I use N1MM+ to key my 6500, without any extra hardware.  Check the config in two of your software programmes: SmartSDR CAT and N1MM+.  In the N1MM+ config, I have COM4 with FLEX-6000 Series set as the radio (and none of the tick boxes ticked), and COM5 set to 'None' in the radio selection and with a tick in the 'CW/Other' box.  In SmartSDR CAT I have COM4 set to Slice A, and the 'Winkeyer' (I believe it is virtual...I certainly haven't added any hardware) is set to COM5.  Hope that helps...it seems to work here...

Regards  Paul M0CVX

• Bob K4RLC
    Bob K4RLC Member
    edited August 2016
    Paul - Thank you very much. I'll work on it tonight.
    Bob K4RLC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.