Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

trouble with flex controllers.

wb2ghv
wb2ghv Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I have had 2 fail in the last 7 months 1st lasted 2 yrs 1 month 2nd lasted 5 months getting expensive.

Answers

• Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    How did they fail?  Flex has provided PNs for the rotatory encoder and push buttons. I have repaired my rotatory encoder, a little tricky but doable.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I had tons of problems with mine as well as other USB2 Devices until I decided to try plugging a little Powered USB2 HUB into my computer (ALL USB3 ports) and plugging the FLEXControl into the USB2 HUB.
    Works fine as for now.
    73's

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Wow... Mine has been rock solid for close to 4 years. Been using it since I bought my 1500. It's there any maintenance we can do to improve the durability? Also, what failed in yours? Encoder?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    Is there any maintenance we can do to improve the durability?

Not really.  I have one of the very first ones made and it is still working well.  It is connected to a USB2 port and I do not "fast spin" the knob to make large frequency changes very often; I use the mouse to click tune (it's faster).
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Good to know. I thought maybe we need to lubricate the encoder or clean up some contacts.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

The wear on the Flex Control depends on the user, If the user is a bit more **** the buttons and encoder it just wont last as long. That being said the parts for the FlexControl are easy to get and replace you just have to be careful with your soldering/de-soldering skills.

The main weakness with FC is the light duty encoder it does not offer good lateral support and with the large VFO knob it puts a good deal of stress or torque on encoder shaft. This encoder was designed for a small knob that’s why I try to be as gentle and light handed with the FlexControl as possible.

I too wish the Flex Control was built more heavy duty. I would have used heavy duty industrial grade Encoder and buttons, “Think Military Grade” something built to last. I guess there can always be a “FlexControl II”. What I would love to see is a dual VFO version called the “FlexControl Duo” with 6 buttons, 6 small encoders and 2 heavy duty VFO encoders all assignable with the control panel setup. Well I can always dream...

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    That would work,,at 3 times the price....
  • wb2ghv
    wb2ghv Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I"m not a tech guy call 1"st time said shop charges where $99.00 per. so brought 2" 0ne  lasted 5 months.think I be using mouse from here on out.
  • wb2ghv
    wb2ghv Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I"m not a tech guy call 1"st time said shop charges where $99.00 per. so brought 2" 0ne  lasted 5 months.think I be using mouse from here on out.
  • wb2ghv
    wb2ghv Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    looks like you have to buy power hub to get them to stay working.
  • wb2ghv
    wb2ghv Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    mine worked good for 2 yrs them fail after computer crashed.them brought 2nd one lasted 5 months.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited November 2017
    If purchased new from us, the FlexControl has a 1-year warranty.  I do not see where you opened a HelpDesk ticket for this issue.  You should always do that when  you have a hardware issue.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited November 2017
    If purchased new from us, the FlexControl has a 1-year warranty.  I do not see where you opened a HelpDesk ticket for this issue.  You should always do that when you have a hardware issue.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited November 2017
    Not true.  USB3 interfaces are more software-defined than their predecessors. What used to be handled via hardware with USB1.1 and USB2 controllers is now emulated using software.  So the quality of the device driver makes a significant difference in the downward compatibility with USB1.1 and USB2 devices.  This is an issue that is not unique to the FlexControl.  We have seen the same behavior with the FLEX-1500 and it is a completely different class of USB device. 

I have had to resort to doing or recommending the same thing that WX7Y has done by using a hardware-based USB2 hub or a PCIe USB2 expansion card to overcome the USB3 interface challenges when there are no USB2 ports available on the PC.  In all cases, it has resolved the USB3 compatibility issues.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I really love my Flex Control Knob, and would not run a Flex-6000 series without it, unless I had a Maestro or MIDI Controller with a tuning knob.  I have a large MIDI unit that I can run, but the Flex Knob is so small that I can shove it about the desk wherever I need it in a second.  It can't be beat.

I got mine with the 6500 4+ years ago and ran through 2 of them in just a few months - the control got stiff, the action was rough, and main control button wouldn't work anymore. 

Frustrating, yes, but Tim and the rest of Customer Service were extremely helpful both times. 
    I have been running #3 for over 3 1/2 years without incident.
    They are tops in service in my book.

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.