Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

transverters through xvtx port (Flex5000)

vectorizer
vectorizer Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
Summary: "XVTX/COM" is not an option in the antenna selection dropdown list in the Antenna Selection dialog box for Flex5000, but I used it successfully to drive 0dBm transverter inputs from the Flex1500.

Need some help for using FlexRadio 5000 with transverters.

Background: I setup my Flex 1500 successfully with two DEMI transverters, using the XVTRs menu and the Antenna menu as documented in a Flex knowledge base article. The transverters are low power input, so after I setup the transverters in the XVTRs menu, I went to the Antenna Selection menu, selected Expert, and selected XVTX/COM in the antenna dropdowns for each Band (VHF2, VHF3) defined in the XVTRs menu. No problems getting the 1500 to drive the transverters through the XVTX/COM port; everything worked as expected and I've tested on the air several times.

Problem: I sent my 1500 off for repair, but I also have a Flex 5000 that I use on HF. So, I figured while the 1500 is out for repair, I could use the 5000 temporarily for the transverters just like I used the 1500. (Plus, maybe I'll like the wider panadapter.) I did the same setup as before, but when I went to the Antenna Selection dialog, there were no selections for XVTX/COM! .... just ANT1, ANT2, ANT3. I had already setup the XVTRs config (LO, button text, begin and end freq), and I'm selecting each configured Band (VHF2, VHF3) before attempting the antenna selection, just like I did with the 1500.

I've Googled and searched the Flex knowledge base and two Flex forums, but I can't find anything about XVTX ports not being available or having to enable them somewhere.

My 5000 does not have the V/U upgrade, but that wouldn't effect being able to use the XVTX/COM port for low power IF (28 MHz), would it? That would be .... quite disappointing.

Thanks,
Pete K0BAK

Answers

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    not having a 5000, its hard to say, but why not select each port and then measure the output with a pwr meter and dummy load. Its got to be one of the three, unless the 5000 does not have transverter capability.
    I had a quick browse through the manual and page 2 mentions radio related connections  that transverters can be use without having menu switching etc. They also suggest some videos to watch. Page 7 tell you what to do with transverter under the title of (4)-(5) Dedicated Transverter Connections
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2018
    When you set up a transverter band for the 5000, the transverter port is used automatically, no selection needed. If you select the RF split option, then the XVRX is for receiving and the XVTX/Com is for transmitting.
  • vectorizer
    vectorizer Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks TIm. Tested successfully last night. Also copied your answer to a couple other forums and reflectors in which I asked the same question.

I was confused because I just assumed that the procedure to interface a transverter on a 5000 would be similar to the procedure on the 1500, and I could not find documentation anywhere that was explicit about transverters on the 5000.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The 1500 is a little more "flex"ible in setting it up as a transverter IF since that was one of it primary design goals.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sounds more like someone slipped up lol!
  • Bruce Osterberg
    edited September 2018
    Hello Tim:  One thing confuses me about this, When I set up My DEMI transverter, what UCB address do I give it, or just leave it at 0.?
  • Bruce Osterberg
    edited September 2018
    Hello John,  I have some basic questions about the DEMI transverters with the flex 5000A.  I have both the L144 with standart I/O output and a Standarf L144-28 with a split I/O for bot IF mXMIT and REC.  I can get it to receive but not transmit.  Also on the Flex Power meter for Transmit with the transverter active I never see the Power meter active for Transmit, is this correct, and if so, is it because the transverter is out side of the TX meter?  Thanks 73 Bruce N9BX
  • vectorizer
    vectorizer Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Bruce, this is a 3-year-old thread (that I initiated). Did you intend to comment on a different thread? If not, I suggest starting a new topic. Also, I suggest you check your 2nd sentence, I think autocorrect made a mess of it. de K0BAK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.