transverters through xvtx port (Flex5000)

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Summary: "XVTX/COM" is not an option in the antenna selection dropdown list in the Antenna Selection dialog box for Flex5000, but I used it successfully to drive 0dBm transverter inputs from the Flex1500.

Need some help for using FlexRadio 5000 with transverters.

Background: I setup my Flex 1500 successfully with two DEMI transverters, using the XVTRs menu and the Antenna menu as documented in a Flex knowledge base article. The transverters are low power input, so after I setup the transverters in the XVTRs menu, I went to the Antenna Selection menu, selected Expert, and selected XVTX/COM in the antenna dropdowns for each Band (VHF2, VHF3) defined in the XVTRs menu. No problems getting the 1500 to drive the transverters through the XVTX/COM port; everything worked as expected and I've tested on the air several times.

Problem: I sent my 1500 off for repair, but I also have a Flex 5000 that I use on HF. So, I figured while the 1500 is out for repair, I could use the 5000 temporarily for the transverters just like I used the 1500. (Plus, maybe I'll like the wider panadapter.) I did the same setup as before, but when I went to the Antenna Selection dialog, there were no selections for XVTX/COM! .... just ANT1, ANT2, ANT3. I had already setup the XVTRs config (LO, button text, begin and end freq), and I'm selecting each configured Band (VHF2, VHF3) before attempting the antenna selection, just like I did with the 1500.

I've Googled and searched the Flex knowledge base and two Flex forums, but I can't find anything about XVTX ports not being available or having to enable them somewhere.

My 5000 does not have the V/U upgrade, but that wouldn't effect being able to use the XVTX/COM port for low power IF (28 MHz), would it? That would be .... quite disappointing.

Thanks,
Pete K0BAK
Photo of vectorizer

vectorizer

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of John

John

• 425 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
not having a 5000, its hard to say, but why not select each port and then measure the output with a pwr meter and dummy load. Its got to be one of the three, unless the 5000 does not have transverter capability.
I had a quick browse through the manual and page 2 mentions radio related connections  that transverters can be use without having menu switching etc. They also suggest some videos to watch. Page 7 tell you what to do with transverter under the title of (4)-(5) Dedicated Transverter Connections
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9052 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
When you set up a transverter band for the 5000, the transverter port is used automatically, no selection needed. If you select the RF split option, then the XVRX is for receiving and the XVTX/Com is for transmitting.
(Edited)
Photo of vectorizer

vectorizer

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks TIm. Tested successfully last night. Also copied your answer to a couple other forums and reflectors in which I asked the same question.

I was confused because I just assumed that the procedure to interface a transverter on a 5000 would be similar to the procedure on the 1500, and I could not find documentation anywhere that was explicit about transverters on the 5000.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9052 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
The 1500 is a little more "flex"ible in setting it up as a transverter IF since that was one of it primary design goals.
Photo of John

John

• 425 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Sounds more like someone slipped up lol!