Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transverter success with 6500

Options
Mike VE3CKO
Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I was impressed with the  K4DSP video nice work Doug, in fact is was such a good instructional video, I ordered the 144, 222 and 432 UT5JCW transverters from transverters-store.com and were they promptly delivered, have been using this 144 transverter exclusively since and I must say, on my 6500 it seems to be out performing my factory installed VUK on my 5000A as the SmartSDR WNB feature is HUGE on 2m. It drops band static noise an easy 2 S-units or more without distorting audio as the NB can do. NB on 2m does reduce static at the expense of audio quality but does nothing to reduce the noise floor. The ability to see the whole band is nice. Switching back and forth to some weak 2m SSB there is more signal, about an S unit which really means nothing but more importantly I can hear through the noise better and I attribute that to the 6500. Been getting phenomenal reports from local SSB guys I talk to regularly so they are honest reports. The transverter is stable, doesn't drift so far and I can also report the transverter works fine with 5 to 6 watt output to my M2 2M-1K2 amplifier.

I got 3 identical project boxes for each transverter and mounted boards inside using some old pentium heatsinks. The front panel has power switch and LED and a transmit LED as I designed a simple low active circuit with a 2N3906. Back panel are BNC connectors for 28mHz in and antenna out as well as connectors for PTT and power and fuse. I contemplated not putting in a fuse holder but this is experimental.

Only downside with 6500 is when transverter is selected that's all that can be use. Can't use HF on another panadapter because it has just one SCU. Will have to get a 6700, hmmm. When trade-up program coming to Canada?

Follow my updates on my QRZ page for VE3CKO. Trying to get a yagi for 222 so I can test it and the 432 board during the VHF contest coming up.

Comments

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I'm very interested in this follow up post to the K4DSP video as I've been watching these transverters for some time. Please continue your reports especially with the 432 MHz version as I'm gun shy of its stability vs the 2 meter which sounds pretty good. Hard to be,I eve it's better than the 5000A I have. At the moment I'm using an IC 9100 for uplink and the 6300 with down converters for downlink and it's working very well on satellites. 73, Rick, W2JAZ
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I found that you can clean up the output a bit by adjusting the bias to the output device. This is done with the **** on the PCB. You need to do this while watching the output into a spectrum analyzer. While there are better transverters, these are hard to beat for the money - definitely the way to go if you are just getting into the transverter aspect of the hobby.
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I share Rick's interest in the 432 MHz version. Keep us posted, please!
    Doug K4DSP

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm awaiting delivery of more BNC chassis connectors, if they don't arrive before the weekend I'll have to use something else for testing. Will keep you informed.
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Watching the video, and reading the reviews here, I bought a 2m and 440 Transverter from the store. Took a couple of weeks for them to show up.

The 2m one works great. Followed all the video instructions. Works great on FM and DSTAR. Neat being about to use the waterfall on 2m seeing the other noise and transmissions. However, I have not been able to get the 440 transverter to work. It acts deaf. And does not transmit. I must have something set wrong. The Serge offered to replace it. But, I am still seeing if it is me.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.