Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transverter Question. for Flex 6600M

Greg - KØGDI
Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
Hello All.  

I am looking for a already built transverter for 144 - 148.  I'm looking for the best!  I am wanting to have this for working satellites and repeaters and FM simplex.  I may want to do SSB down the road also.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

Greg - K0GDI

Answers

• WB0O
    WB0O Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Take a look at Down East Microwave - great quality and customer service.
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have also been using Down East Converters, in fact just placed another order with Q5 Signal who now handle some of the units. They seem to work great and there is nothing like a waterfall on 2m!
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Does Kuhne make a transverter for 144 - 148? I didn't see one.
  • DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I need 144 - 148, seems these only do 144 - 146
  • DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ah Ok, sorry :) Probably ask if this is possible or not. Quite satisfied with the setup.

73, Volker
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    They do and sometimes they even show up on ebay, although they do tend to run much higher in cost for a Kuhne. There are some other less expensive options as well but you do get what you pay for usually. They do work, but depends on what you need them for.
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Kuhne just emailed me and told me they only make a transverter for 144-146 and not 144-148.  :(
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thank you.  I will contact them soon.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have built several Elecraft Transverters.each, 6M, 2M and the xv432. Outstanding . Have built several for other fellas as well.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    That is if you where driving the transverter IF with a standard radio that only had 10 meters output from 28.000 MHz to 30.000MHz (2 MHz) BUT in transverter mode the 6600 can easily go to 32.000MHz (4MHz) and beyond and should work fine for you and you DON'T need a Attenuater because the FLEX Transverter IF output is low enough to drive them with out damage and give you 144-148 which unless they have a VERY narrow output and Input filter that blocks the upper 2 MHz I really dought they would NOT work for you.
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Can anybody verify that the Kuhne transverter work 144-148?  I don't want to order one and find out it doesn't work.
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have been keeping my eye on HA1YA, don't have any products from him but would love to get feedback on them in someone has one and is using it with a flex.
  • Edward Armstrong-WB2K
    edited July 2018
    Hi Greg I can confirm that the Kuhne Pro will transmit and receive without any problem from 144 to 148 as long as the transceiver is able as the flex is all i can say is there is not a transverter  that comes close to the Kuhne with the microprocessing you can configure the Kuhne without moving wire around and hardware  I have the Kuhne about one year I have received with it up to  170 mhz: it is a little more expensive But worth every penny.  Ed    WB2K
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thank you Ed.  

I'll contact them soon and get one ordered.
  • Edward Armstrong-WB2K
    edited July 2018
    Greg Here is a copy of: the Kuhne set up with my flex 6600 if you look on imageQRZ you will see the Kuhne on my page. Take care.
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Ed!  
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Do the Demi units, and transverters in general, work only on SSB and FM, or can you use them
    for VHF digital modes in WSJT-X?  

I have never used one before, and want to order a 2M unit to get started.  Likely the Demi model.

Thanks,

Neal
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    YES you can. I made several 2m contacts during the last VHF contest using FT8 and JT65/9 via the flex and the transverter. I use the Q5 50W version and have an optional 300W amp but did not need it. The look and feel is just as if you were on HF once you get it all setup. They seem to work very well. I have also used my older 440 and 220 transverters with great success.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Sadly discontinued recently. Nice units that with simple modifications (adding an external GPS-locked PLL and input BPFs) compare well with the excellent DEMIs.
  • Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have a DEMI 2m transverter, I use it for WSJT-x/JT65 doing EME.  Works great.  I have also used it for FM simplex.  I run about 25 Watts out into a Beko amplifier,  steady 1.5 kW, 47 seconds on every other minute from moonrise till moonset.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.