Transverter output level on 475 kHz?

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered

I'm curious is anyone is using their 6XXX to operate on 630m and, if so, what is the power output at that freq?

I am currently able to transmit WSPR on that band with a beacon transmitter/amp and receive with the F6300 but I can't transceiver, especially at the speed of an FT8 QSO. I'd be interested in hearing the set-up of others who use their Flex on this new band.

John AE5X

https://ae5x.blogspot.com/

Photo of John AE5X

John AE5X

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Mike va3mw

Mike va3mw

• 824 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
The XVTR port allows continuous coverage low power (+10 dBm max).  10mW.

Page 109 of the manual.

mike
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2254 Posts
  • 879 Reply Likes
I'm using it receive only now. I am investigating amplifier possibilities. I am seeing a lot of stuff on WSPR using one of my "short" 80m verticals. For this band you can use a class D amp and get away with it. You're not doing SSB. You're doing CW and FSK. PSK may be doable but you need a more linear amp for that.

The transverter output level should be a max of +10dBm I believe. That is what you'll use on 630m and 2200m.

Edit: 10dBm according to Mike above. 
(Edited)
Photo of John AE5X

John AE5X

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

I was afraid of that - a bit low for the transverter/amp I currently have which requires 100-500 mW (on 80m) to produce 22 watts on 630m. This equates to 1 watt ERP with my particular antenna but in 2 nights of WSPR on 630m I've been heard in 26 states including Hawaii plus ZF2.

Looking to operate JT9 or FT8 on the band but need a way to boost xvrtr output of Flex to 200 mW or so - I'll have a look around the web. I expect to see more construction articles in QST and elsewhere now that this band is finally available.

Ria, check out my website for what I'm using to transmit. I believe you could have an effective signal on that band for not much more than $100. Seeing that I was heard in KH6 on such a low freq was a thrill that will only be exceeded by working Bouvet in a few months ;-)

73 - John AE5X

Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 260 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
http://sm0vpo.altervista.org/

Harry has a few very suitable designs for wide band MW and LF amplifiers.

Andrew VK5CV
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2254 Posts
  • 879 Reply Likes
I love the amp made with a 7805. Reminds me of high school where I made a transmitter out of a 555 timer.
(Edited)