transverter interfacing 6500 vs. 5000

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago

When I owned a Flex 5000 I used the Microwave Modules MMT-144 2M transverter. It has separate connections for Transmit and Receive. It interfaced to the 5000 very well. I now have the 6500 and use one of the Ukrainian 2M transverters, which uses a single TX/RX connection.

I wanted to do some comparisons. I’m thinking that I need to use a “T/R” relay to toggle the TX and RX connections to the 6500’s single transverter connection. Am I correct, or am I missing some way to connect the 6500 to the MMT-144?

Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 421 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Configure the XVTR port on the 6500 to be "common IF" where the RX and TX are the transverter port.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 421 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Ok, and use a T/R switch (relay) to toggle the separate xmit and receive connections on the transverter, correct?
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4025 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes
If you are connecting a MMT-144 that has separate TX & RX ports, couldn't you use the 6500's Transverter port as the TX Out to the transverter and the RXA port for the RX IN from the Transverter and not need any external switching relay?  Then configure your Transverter definitions in the setup screen in SSDR?  

Or are you talking about needing a switching line to transfer PTT signal to the Transverter so that IT will know when to switch its internal relay?

I haven't done this yet.  But I have been playing with a Ten-Tec 2 meter transverter on receive only.  It needs 5 watts drive and I haven't found any way to convert it to the transverter level drive.  I am sure there is a way, but I haven't even been able to locate a manual/schematic yet.  I am not willing to hook it up to the ANT2 port because I am wary of having a senior moment and hitting it with a full 100 watts and frying it.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Good questions, Ken.  I was just about to ask them myself.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 421 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
I'll elaborate when I get home. Too much typing for a phone!
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 421 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Ken, I never considered that approach. I was going to use one of the keyed outputs on he 6500 to operate a coaxial relay. I can have it key the transverter, and feed the rec connection to the RXA port.

I'm actually using the loop connection for some external filters. I recently installed two 1x6 coaxial relays, one to each port. I can now switch up to 6 different devices, as required. Looks like this will be the weekend project.

I'm alreaady using DDUTIL to control an external relay board connected to my antenna switch. I can assign one of the unused relays to switch in the transverter and automate the entire process.
Thanks