Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

transverter hookup

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭

FLEX 6500 , I have a transverterstore 2m Transverter.

I have a patch cable from the TX3 to the PTT on the Transverter

I have a BNC to BNC from the XVTER port on my FLEX 6500

I have a valid 2m Transverter built in SmartSDR

Smart SDR see the signal to the XVTER port

When I speak into the Microphone the Transverter TX turns Green

I have a RF cable from the Transverter to my 2m AMP

don't key the AMP

The Transverter Keys but no power out

what am I missing

Jim

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Enough RF to drive the Amp? Or trigger the RF-sensing relay (if it has one)? Can you try a cable from TX2 to the amp PTT?
  • Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Did you "Enable" TX3 IN Radio Setup under the TX tab?
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020

the AMP is Mirage B-320G RF sensing, I just key and listen the local repeater in town on my HT and SMARTSDR received it.

I have tried 3 watts in Nothing

I have tried 5 watts in Nothing

My 2m FM radio with 5 watts out drives the amp to  202 watts out

Either the Flex 6500 Transverter port  is NOT driving enough power to do anything

This is the Transverterstore 2m Transverter , I just got it in the mail today.

Jim

WU5E

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020
    YES YES YES TX3 is enabled
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020

Just measured the output power of the Transverter port on my Flex 6500 with it set at 10 watts and key down zero power out

Jim

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

The transistor will only handle 10-15 watts CW. So I used the 13dbm accordingly.

Puts out about 2-1/2 watts SSB and 6 watts FM 10 watts CW.

Adjusted with input to dummy load no more than 10 watts CW and i came up with 13dBm.

May I suggest watching this great video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8JQ0SIUlI8

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020

I have watch that video 17 times before this Transverter  came in the mail today.

if I measure zero power out on the Transverter port. My dam FLEX is not working as prescribed.

• Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    It sounds like your Transverter is setup to take a Higher power input than the 6500 transverter port puts out. 

The 6500 ONLY puts out about 100mw max (20dBm) when set to 100.

Here's a reference for the slider settings on the 6500 from Eric - KE5DTO about 3 years ago.

When transmitting on the XVTR port below 80MHz, the RF Power slider is set to put out -11.5 to +15 dBm (-11.5 at setting 1, +15 at setting 100). Above 80MHz, this range is -11.5 to +8dBm.

Perhaps you can change the input power level range to accept a lower wattage to get the output you desire.

I've done that with most of my Demi transverters.

• Dennis Terry W4SG
    Dennis Terry W4SG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    If you happen to buy the pre-built transverter that has the attenuator board in it you will have to disable the attenuator.  I did it with my 6300 by cutting the diode on the attenuator board so that the attenuator is not enabled but the transverter transmit is still enabled.  I plan on adding a switch to put the diode back in the circuit when needed.  Just my 2Cents...

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020

Joe you win the cookie. thanks I was so careful about input power I had the RF Slider at 10 watts

thanks, Now I have to find the right balance to get between 150 and 200 out on my amp.

Jim

• Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I am NOT familiar with your transverter, but i just looked it up and it appears it comes designed to work with an IF input of 1-50mw.to get 10 watts out.

IF input power  -  1 ... 50 mW (0.05 W max.) or 0 ... 17 dBm

So the Flex should be able to work with it!

So, if you can measure in the milliwatt range at 28Mhz and the Flex gives the appropriate output on the Xvtr Port, i'd start looking at the Transverter not working properly.

Hope ALL this helps??

Been in your shoes plenty of times myself.

Joe  - KC2TN

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Glad you got going! Adjust the dBm to suit power output and looks like your ready to go.

My main issue was getting freq (LO) adjusted correctly using only fm repeaters for start then on air usage. Mine seemed to change around a bit. Maybe burn-in time.

73 Jeff

• Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    :)
  • Mark - K9MQ
    Mark - K9MQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Where on the attenuator board did you cut the diode? 
  • Dennis Terry W4SG
    Dennis Terry W4SG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I cut one end of VD3 which activates K1 & K3 which enables the attenuator or not.  On my board it is a thru hole device.  Looking at the web site it looks like they are now surface mount, so you will have to remove the diode.  See: http://transverters-store.com/attboard.htm  Hope this helps.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.