Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transmitter Inhibit of Transverter - 6300

K4SC
K4SC Member
edited February 2018 in New Ideas
I have a Flex-6300 and am using the Transverter Port as a receiver input for my Pixel Magnetic Loop, which is a receive only antenna.  Transmitting even the low power available at the Inverter Antenna Port would destroy the Pixel's preamplifier.

I understand how to inhibit transmit globally, but since I need to both transmit on a separate antenna, as well as receive through the XVTR port, I was hoping to find a software methodology of disabling transmission through the XVTR connection.

Because I am getting older, my fear is that I will miss setting the antenna selectors correctly just once and destroy a $200 potted preamp.  Since the settings are changeable for each band, the probability of such an accident is much higher.

My suggestion is to add a software switch which can universally prevent transmission through the XVTR port on the 6300 at least; recognizing this may not be necessary with the 6500 and 6700.
0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    It's not my $200 at risk, but I think its doubtful that the 10 milliwatts that is available from the6300  Xvtr port would damage the Pixel amplifier output.  ( I do have a Pixel loop and have that much coupled from my TX antenna into the loop. )    Just my 2 cents. ( your $200 )

Al, K0VM
  • Fred Lindsey
    Fred Lindsey Member
    edited January 2015
    Just to be safe, I would install a circulator that would allow RF from the antenna to the port, but direct any output  RF to a dummy load.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Having killed my Pixel by transmitting into it, I can tell you it is repairable.  It took me a few weeks, but I did get it back operational.  Neither the control box or the antenna amplifier are potted.  The sad thing is that Pixel will not release any schematics nor help should you do so.  They make a great product however, their only solution is to sell you a complete new antenna if you **** it up.

I would highly recommend you install a proper T/R switch that will ensure that the hardware control takes it out of line 100% of the time.  They aren't that complicated or you can buy a very well made RTR-1 from DX Engineering that works wonderfully.

Mike va3mw
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Michael could you clarify.  Did you have the Pixel on one of the main TX ports of your radio (was it a Flex?) rather than aux ports designed for RX antenna inputs. Or was it a case of the correct port being used fby the Pixel antenna but not using a front end saver device when the antenna was being used in close proximity to your full power TX antenna.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Transmit inhibit on the XVTR port would be a very welcome addition. My guess is that is low on their long list of changes but seems like a relatively easy change.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    It was on my TS480 remote base and it was my fault. Nothing to do with a Flex radio.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have added this request to the feature enhancement database for consideration in a future version of SmartSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.