Transmit compression is weak to nonexistent on 1.2.1 on my 6700

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
I had great transmit audio with 1.1.3 and limited compression. 1.2.1 has hardly any compression regardless of the PROC setting. I've tried my normal bal input via W2HYI equalizer or mic direct via mic input (front panel). It doesn't matter. The transmit audio was great with 1.1.3 now it stinks. Probably will go back to 1.1.3 tomorrow.
Photo of Art KA4M

Art KA4M

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 886 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes

Hi Art...  I would just try and do a full computer reboot and radio reboot before I reverted back...  just in case.   I got in the habit of doing that after any firmware loads and it has saved me from a lot of perceived problems I used to get because I simply forgot to reboot/refresh.

Regards

Photo of Art KA4M

Art KA4M

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did a complete cold reboot already. If nobody else has this problem maybe an uninstall/reinstall is in order. It just doesn't sound  as good as it use to. Maybe I'll just let it sit for a few weeks.
Photo of Bob Wright, N7ZO

Bob Wright, N7ZO

• 279 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
After upgrading to 1.2.1, I also cannot hear any difference on the monitor with the processor on (any setting) or off even though the compression meter is showing some activity.  But, running into a dummy load, I definitely see a difference on the output power.

The power meter does not have a peak indicator?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
You will not hear the difference in the monitor because of where the monitor is tapped in the audio chain.  It is tapped so that there is the least amount of latency in the headphones and not at the end of the TX signal chain.

Bob Wright, N7ZO

• 279 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim, but I would sure like to hear what I sound like with the processor on.  How do I know if I'm being obnoxious?  (Don't answer that.)

I even tried recording my transmission using the new record feature (very neat, btw), and it also does not include the processor.  Why not at least include the final transmit signal in the recording where latency should not matter?

I'm pretty sure I was hearing the compression on monitor in the last version of software.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Bob - With the PROC is is very difficult to be obnoxious as it isn't a compressor, you can't over-drive it.  But you can feed it distorted audio is you allow the mic input meter to clip (peak indicator turns red). The best way to hear the increase in talk power is by listening on a 2nd receiver.

There are different processors in the radio where we can do the same type of functions.  The previous compressor was in a subsystem that was before the tap point so you could hear it.  This one is not.

And I forgot to include previously, the Power meter does not have a peak / hold / decay feature.  We have a request for it entered though.

Bob Wright, N7ZO

• 279 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
2nd receiver?  I've got a 6700.  How do I keep the second SCU active while transmitting on the first?  (I'm sure this is documented, but I am still learning this new radio)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
I tested it last night with other stations on a noisy 40 meter band and they found it pretty effective. The release notes are right, though. You need to raise the low TX filter cutoff to at least 200 when using DX+ setting for maximum punch or the bass frequencies take over and muddy it up. Even so, on maximum, full-tilt setting, you can't make it sound BAD unless you overdrive the mike input. Then all bets are off!
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Art - if you have done a cold boot (completely removing power from the radio) and cleared the persistence database (the procedure is in the release notes) and you are still having problems, I recommend opening a HelpDesk ticket.  I can tell you we have had a lot of audiophiles testing this new code and the Processor / limiter is just amazing in it's performance.

Bob Wright, N7ZO

• 279 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
It may be amazing, but worthy Russian proverb say  "doveryai no proveryai".  :-)