Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transmission Mode change changes Mic input selection in v2.3.9

Watts - K4QJZ
Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
In SmartSDR 2.3.9 When I change from AM to USB The Mic selection, BAL,  changes to MIC. If I have BAL selected in USB mode and switch to AM the Mic selection does not change as I would expect.
Windows 7 64 bitSmartSDR 2.3.9.112Flex 6700PGXL 2.5.15
Same condition with IOS software 2.5.1 Mic selections changes when a different mode is selected.

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Is your Mic Profile changing to a different Mic Profile when you change modes? 

AM and SSB will link to different Mic Profiles - remembering the last one you used for that mode.  FM, RTTY, and DV also will remember different Mic Profiles, which is nice, because you really need to set up a different profile to get maximum intelligibility from these modes.

To correct the situation, make sure you edit a profile for each mode and save it with a different name for each one.  The first time you use that new profile for a different mode, you may need to select it manually, but the rig should remember it thereafter.

Ken - NM9P
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, That’s makes since if I were changing any profiles to another profile but I only changed the transmission mode while in SmartSDR, nothing else? Therefore I was not expecting a change. I use the Balanced input on all modes, accept digital or when using my iPad or IPhone. Even with the Maestro I use Mic2 but thats in a Maestro separate profile.
  • Rosie Page
    Rosie Page Member
    edited June 2020
    It is really that when I change the transmission mode of the Window, it automatically changes the Mic Profile and I can not access it anymore. I visited Hotmail Customer Service for help, but it is of no use at all. I need some suggestion for that. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Be careful of that link above that person Rosie Page JUST joined . . . Needs to be removed by an administrator
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    As Ken has pointed out, this is a complicated subject.  It simply can't be described in a few words.  So, for what it's worth, here are the words from section 16 of the SmartSDR User Guide:

MIC profiles can be associated with the mode of a Slice Receiver.  The MIC profile in effect at any point in time is determined by the mode of the transmit slice, or by a Global profile.  Many Slice Receivers may exist, set to different modes, but only one controls the transmitter and that slice determines the MIC profile that is invoked in the radio.

A MIC profile is associated or “linked” with a demodulation mode by selecting a profile from the drop-down menu in the P/CW panel while the desired mode is selected in the transmit slice.  When a new MIC profile is created, it is associated with a mode in the same way.  Note that the modes that can be associated with a MIC profile are SSB, Digital, FM, AM, RTTY and Waveforms. 

To associating a MIC profile with a mode, modes groups are used.  LSB and USB are a single mode group (SSB), as are DIGU and DIGL (Digital), FM, NFM and DFM (FM) and AM and SAM (AM). RTTY and each Waveform installed in the radio are treated as a separate mode.

To associate or link a Mic profile to a mode group, set the transmit slice to the mode you wish to link. Then load or save a Mic profile while the transmit slice is in that mode. From then on, whenever the transmit slice is set to that mode the linked Mic profile will be loaded. For example:

1.       Slice A – Mode is USB

2.       Load Default FHM-1 Mic profile. (This Mic profile is now linked to the USB/LSB mode group)

3.       Change Slice A to SAM (This loads the default linked MIC profile Default)

4.       Load Default PR781 Mic profile. (This Mic profile is now linked to the AM/SAM mode group)

5.       Change Slice A to LSB or USB. (This loads the Default FHM-1 Mic profile)

6.       Change Slice A to AM or SAM. (This loads the Default PF781 Mic profile).

When any value associated with the selected MIC profile is changed but not saved, an asterisk (*) will appear before the profile’s name in the drop-down menu.  If a different profile is selected, either by use of the drop-down menu or by selecting a different transmit mode, the changes will be lost if not saved before change the MIC profile.  Use the Profile Manager to save changes to either the existing profile or a new profile.

MIC profiles are band-independent.  A MIC profile that is associated with a mode will invoke the same values in any band in which it is used.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    There is no official  "hotmail customer service" line for Flex Radio.  

The Official Helpdesk is found at https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If the last time you used AM, for example, was when using your Maestro with MIC2, and you closed that and opened SSDR/Win with SSB, when you change mode to AM, it may be remembering that you were using MIC2 last on AM (from the Maestro) but since you don't have MIC2 on your rig, it may be switching just to MIC.

If you manually select your AM profile, (saved with with BAL selected) in AM mode, then change to SSB and select a SSB profile, then switch back to AM mode, does it remember the AM profile with BAL set as the Mic input?

If so, it is working properly and you will just need to remember to select the proper MIC profile the first time you go to a new mode using SSDR/Win after having used IOS or Maestro.  (and vice versa)

Ken - NM9P

• Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Ken, I have tried what you suggested and if I change modes via profiles all works as suggested. I can understand if one has multiple Mics how this could be viewed as a nice "feature" to have the radio/software anticipate which one you prefer for a given mode. In this case the mic I am using doesn't require different settings between AM and SSB unless I am working DX and for that I have used the profile feature.
    I would recommend to Flex they consider adding the option for the ability to turn off the "auto change" aspect as the operator could miss the change of profile and have the radio operating in a manor they did not anticipate it had changed to. As an example if on 10M, I switch to an FM mode the profile for my local repeater pops up since it was the last use of the FM mode which has different setting than I would want on 10M. I, as the operator, wanted a change in mode not a change in Mic profile.
    With this approach I now need to setup a profile for each mode and VHF and HF bands, while easy to do I do not believe it was clear one needed to do that.

And Dave thanks for the Manual Reference, while I have read it many times and the multiple updates over the years but I missed the fact of the software looking to profiles to tell it what the operator really wants done verses the specific operator action. I assumed that if I wanted any change I would either make it directly in the software myself or have the option to select a profile to do it for me. Thus the problem with assuming...
    Thanks you both for your comments and help, my Flex education continues.
       Watts
       K4QJZ
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I may not have been clear. It is not mandatory that you use a different Mic profile for each mode, but it is very handy. If you wish to use the same Mic Profile for AM, FM and SSB, you can. But you need to select that profile in each mode the first time you use it. It will remember and link to it after that. If you have used the same Mic Profile on multiple modes, it shouldn’t switch around when you change modes. They all should remember to use the last profile you used on that mode. And that mic profile/mode linkage doesn’t matter what band you are on. But if you change a setting, like adjust the processor setting, Mic gain setting, tx EQ contours, etc., you must remember to save it to the same name or another. This prevents you or another operator from accidentally messing up a lot of hard work getting your Transmit audio just the way you want it. One possible way you may be getting messed up is if you are using Global Profiles to change modes and/or bands. The global profiles may be remembering different mode/Mic profile linkages. In this case....load the profile you want to “fix” and step through the different modes. If the Mic Profile changes when you change modes, then change it back to the one you want. The change to the next mode and do the same....when you have confirmed all the modes are linking to the mic profile you want, then re-save that Global profile. The next time you call it, the modes and mic profiles should associate correctly. Repeat this process for any additional Global Profiles that do not properly associate your modes and mic profiles. BTW don’t confuse the Mic Prrofile with the Transmit Profile. They remember different things.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.