Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Trade in question

2»

Answers

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Still playing on my 60s mark vi and have VIs on all the saxes plus a few other brands. But that's my business though less now in retirement. I guess that's the difference, I'm not a professional radio operator and don't make a living at it, though I love the hobby. 73
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yeah I understand that. I'm pretty sure I've played some of your works. I've read and written in the past about how people tend to discern a quality/cost level over time. A lot of times they carry over the general level where they have comfort into other purchases. I've observed the budget includes time and other bits as well as the money of the purchase price. Mostly playing an old YBS-51 because I know it is going to get handled and at risk in a way I couldn't let my SML Rev-D Bari face. Currently playing a Voodoo-Rex tenor but that's an unusual choice. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    There are people who like to have very nice things. The $7000 radio operator is no exception. I don't even know why the price is a concern anyway. I get 8 receivers, 2 SCUs, chart topping performance, LF-2m, and a slew of control options and networkability. I also get SO2R for half the cost of competing solutions. Besides, you haven't heard how much the antenna farm costs, and it's peanuts compared to truly big gun contesters. Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    And that's your choice. I made a similar choice with my SPE expert 1.3K. I sold it well before PGXL and the elecraft amp were announced and I put my deposit on the PGXL. Yes I'm without an amp but I got a very good resale value ( even though the buyer insisted I cover shipping and PayPal fees). Today I don't think I would have gotten as much. It's sort of like trading stocks, imo.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You mean my Flex Radio isn't an investment?

Oh no, there goes my retirement plans! 8^)
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You only lose money if you sell them.  My Flex 6500 and my Icom 7600 are both fine radios.  I can talk to just about anyone I can hear with my Elecraft KPA 500 anp.

Why does everyone think they have to upgrade?  I don't see the need.  If you were happy with your radio before the announcement of the new radios why would you feel any different now?

I just don't feel the need to upgrade the hardware.  That said, I am really looking forward to betting Version 2 of the software.  I just wish FRS would quite promising dates they cannot meet.  In my working days I was in IT.  I always "under promised and over delivered".  I was a hero ever time.  I would rather have them do that then continue to miss dates.  The software is why we bought a software defined radio, right?

I bought my 6500 because I was told I would get a new radio with each new release of software.  I want my new radio, Version 2!

Just my 2 cents.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    "Why does everyone think they have to upgrade ?"

In my case Harold, its all about picking up a second SCU.  This was the only thing for me and the 6700 was out of my reach price wise.

Not being able to select different receive antennas seriously hindered my operating style.

I would stick with my 6500 if it was not for that. Otherwise the gains are minimal.
  • James Whiteway
    edited July 2017
    @George, true unless you live in Texas. (some call it Tax Us) You also pay sales tax, (8.25% most areas) on top of the cash price of the new radio. Several hundred dollars on the 6600M I preordered. Instead I traded in my 6500 and Maestro and only paid tax on the difference between my trade in and the full cost of the 6600M. Less than $100 in tax that way. I almost sold my setup to a friend untl Matt pointed that out to me. My friend was kind enough to not hold me to the orignal deal we had. (He was going to match FRS's price) I save over $300 that way. So, it all depends on where you live if selling outright is a better deal or not. And also, what used 6000's are selling for. James WD5GWY
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    8.25% is nothing. NYC it is 8.875% and in Tennessee I've seen as high as 10% when I was living in the Nashville burbs for a bit. But you have no state income tax in TX which I'd love to have. Our sales tax is 6.875% but apart from tech purchases, most of my purchases are food and clothing (3 kids plus 4 seasons) which are tax free. Also when I buy yarn for knitting, I tell them it's for clothing (it usually is) and it's tax free. 

Ria
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Rick,   I submitted the the Flex trade-In form for my 6500 to 6600 on June 4th.  Received a quick reply from Flex on June 5th.   I accepted their offer which and received an additional $100.00 to send in the 6500 now which I have done.  I did not have to pay a reservation fee for the 6600.  Flex issued me a credit which covers my 6600 reservation. 

My reason for upgrade is having a second SCU, diversity receive, and ability to run two transverters. 

Cal / N3CAL
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    In Canada besides being already over taxed, we have to contend with a 33% exchange rate and we have a flat 13% federal tax. So let's take the $1999 US price for the 6400 if we were to buy it direct which we can't we have to go through a Canadian distributor and their mark up, but let's pretend we can buy direct. 1999 x 1.33 = 2658 plus 13% tax is just over $3k, and that is not including shipping into Canada.
  • James Whiteway
    edited July 2017
    I agree. But, in this case it was over $300 saved and that allows me to use that money for other things. I'm glad Texas does not have a state income tax.
    Each state has its good points and bad points. I'm just glad I live in a country where I do have choices.
    Now, if only my 6600M would show up!  :-)
    james
    WD5GWY

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Tnx Cal as this was the kind of reply I was most hoping to get since I did not get a quote from Flex when I initially filled out the form and their reply suggested that they would be waiting, unless I chose to put the deposit down and order a new model. I think this time I've decided to adopt the same philosophy I have in buying cars - don't buy the first year new model. I'll probably wait for reviews. And bugs to be worked out and avoid the frustration. I have enough good radios around me so,will,probably sell the 6300 and wait and see. Happy 4th
  • DR DEPRESSOR
    DR DEPRESSOR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

I tried selling my Flex 6500 on several sites. Unfortunately, I received minimal interest even with the radio still under warranty and a year to go on it.  The used market for SDR radio is clogged now.  Buyers are looking for low ball pricing, which is a given.  This is related to the Icom 7300  and the price point as a hybrid SDR radio. Flex realized that in order to attract more buyers, they had to improve their pricing structure and add knobs to the front end. They want to give Icom a run for their business.  Most buyers (not all) dealing with electronics are price driven and not interested in the radio specs. They want a radio that is affordable in line with their budget and get on the airwaves. This is especially true for the younger operator who simply wants a radio. The options or technology is not in the mindset of those that have limited resources. So at the end of the day I traded in my Flex for the updated model.  It's a bitter pill to swallow with these new radios.  Prices drop as the technology improves along with diminished resale value. Something never seemed possible with amateur radio.  However, that is about to change.  Unlike in years past many amateurs, selling radios would see a minimal return in the used market. That idea is out of the window at present with SDR and the future of radio technology.  At the present time you will take a bath in the used radio market.  Conversely, despite these many variables given our radio market place, there is one element that stands alone that Icom can't offer. Flex radio is built here in the USA.  Keep Americans working.  In God, We Trust. 
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yes, the IC-7300 has absolutely turned the Ham SDR market completely upside down, what with its ultra low price point, and yet its truly tremendous performance. Heck, I plan to install my IC-7300 in my new SUV. Given the 7300's price point, if it gets ripped off, it's not a show stopper. Sure wish Flex would come out with a single band mobile!
  • Ernest  - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member
    edited July 2017
    Multi band would even be better...
    With the control center like the IC-7100 with RF deck placed under the car seat: And the wiring for the tuner and antenna cabling in the trunk.

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Single band mobile? Except for the 'export' CB/10m rigs, I don't think anyone's' done that since Heathkit discontinued the HW-12 series. I've got an IC7100 in my Wrangler, but any time I key it up at anything above 25 watts it starts the HVAC fans, flashes the check engine light, and generally drives the Jeep ECM crazy. Back on topic, I am thinking of upgrading the 6500 to a 6600M.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Oh, no, I didn't mean the single band variety Heathkit made, albeit those were awesome rigs at the time (single band only 80, 40, and 20M models, I believe). I was referring to a one band displayed at a time Flex, perhaps akin to a slightly down scaled version of the 6300, packaged up in an appropriate mobile mounting chassis. No need for more than one band at a time being displayed whilst operating in a mobile environment.

I never had any RFI issues with my Jeep Wrangler. I used the Icom AH-760 antenna and an IC-7100, albeit soon to be replaced with the IC-7300 and AH-760, in my new SUV.

Rick, you may want to check out the K0BG web site for some excellent HF mobile installation tips. Go to http://www.k0bg.com/ 

The RFI problems you are describing is exactly what Alan (K0BG) addresses on his extensive web site. He has a plethora of excellent and detailed advice there regarding the installation of a mobile HF rig, and HF antenna, to avoid such thorny problems as you are experiencing with your Jeep. I followed Alan's advice to a tee, and have never had any RFI issues. 

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I like Alan's website even though I may not agree with all of it. For example he is a huge fan of drilling holes (I am not) and not a fan of mag mounts. 

But he has a lot of good info.

Ria
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    edited July 2017
    I've spent a lot of time on Alan's site too.  I frequently refer my trucker friends to it for answers to their CB questions.  I think my problem is that the Lil' Tarheel, on the spare tire mount, is too close to the wiring for the rear washer/wiper, and RF is feeding in there.  If it weren't for garaging problems, I'd install an Icom AH-4 tuner and one of their 9' fibreglass whips up on my big front brush/anti-fa guard, Australian style.  Since the 7100 is mostly just used to monitor 27.185 out on the road, I haven't really taken the time to work out the issues.  If we don't get fiber-optic down our road at the lake this year,to enable me to use the Maestro, the 7100 will probably end up as the cabin rig, replacing my old FT-757, and be replaced in the Jeep with a good CB.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I ran into (not literally, thankfully!) a ham at the Issaquah, WA Costco who had a Yaesu ATAS-120A antenna mounted on the front left fender of his 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, and I spoke with his on his way out of Costco. He said he has not had any RFI issues with this set up. He had the little Yaesu ATAS antenna lashed up to a Yaesu FT-857 radio. Alan (K0BG) tends to not like this particular antenna, he says due to its supposed inefficiency, but the Wrangler driver said he has used it for years, with a great deal of success. I happen to also own a Yaesu ATAS-120, and the newer FT-891 (replaces the FT-857), and have sometimes wondered if I'd be better off using this combo. So much smaller, and a whole lot nicer looking than the various other gigantic mobile HF antennas, including my AH-760. All antennas, especially mobile HF ones, are big engineering trade-offs between their form factor, size, weight, appearance, etc. versus their RF performance and efficiency. So, it's a very personal choice, that's for sure.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    edited July 2017
    I thought about mounting the Lil' Tarheel up on the right side of my hood, opposite my VHF/UHF antenna, but went for the standard off-road look, which may have been a mistake.  Obviously, any of the little HF antennas like the ATAS-120 or the Lil' Tarheel are going to be comprimises.  In other mobile installs, I've actually had better luck with single-band helically wound whips, but I got the Lil' Tarheel brand new for $125 and decided to give it a try.  I haven't been able to come up with a good mount for a key in the stick-shift Wrangler, and my preferred mode has always been CW, fixed or mobile.  Maybe a single-band Flex with an auto-tuner would be a good deal after all.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The LT2 has a smaller diameter coil and lower Q. That's probably why he thinks it's inefficient. I had one on the sedan. It was ok and I worked a lot of DX on it when we lived in an apartment. I did get a longer whip though since the stock config was basically a giant dummy load.

Ria
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The icom 7300 shattered the market for used knob radios. Yes it's a SDR at the front end but it's a cheap decent performing radio that is good enough for most people

Agree!! I just buy one to Keep controlling my Anxious waiting for Flex-6600....
    I saw you Have sold your SPE while waiting for new PGXL....I trying to follow your steps ...but.....I don't have enough space on my shack for PGXL....guess need a new home or move to NJ  hahaha....Greetings!!

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Ah, yes. As Maxwell Smart might say, "The 'ol screwdriver on the balcony rail trick!"

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.