Touch Portal Questions/Recommendations

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I’ve read with a great deal of interest the posts regarding the use of Streamdeck hardware or Touch Portal software to control various aspects of SmartSDR. I’ve visited the Touch Portal site and have looked at a number of YouTube videos on it but I’m confused as to exactly what is needed to implement it.

In my case I have an unused touch panel monitor that could be connected via usb cable to pass commands to the pc. A lot of the Touch Portal information looks like it’s aimed at mobile use, ie cell phones. I assume that the cell phone isn’t necessary but that an Android emulator running on the pc is required in addition to the touch portal software itself. Is that correct; or, are other software packages and/or hardware needed? Any advice, suggestions or comments would be most helpful.

Everett
Photo of Everett Simonds

Everett Simonds

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Wayne Westfield

Wayne Westfield

• 68 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Everett,
You are correct for the time being Touch Portal is geared towards the mobile devices as the input.  That's not to say we cannot make something work.
My desire was to purchase a 24 inch touch display to add to my system (I have a total of 4 displays, 2 34", 1 27" and 24" touch) and use that for the touch input.
Here is what my solution has;
* 24 inch touch display running on windows 10
* Touch Portal (server/host) running on windows 10
* FRSTack as the REST API server
* NOX Android Emulator
* Touch Portal App running on the NOX Android Emulator

Nox needs to be in bridged mode.

I start TP Server, SmartSDR, FRStack, Nox, I then move the NOX emulator to the touch display set it to full screen and then run the app.

Works for me.  Pretty sure I did not miss anything.

Kind regards,
Wayne - KG5MGN

Photo of Everett Simonds

Everett Simonds

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Wayne,

My planned implementation would be similar to yours.  I currently use a 40" 4K Samsung television as my primary display; it's flanked on each side by 27" displays.  All this on a Windows 10 system.  I was thinking of using NoxPlayer or BlueStacks as the emulator.  I recently brought a few pieces of unused equipment home from my wife's retail store.  One of those is a Planar 22" touch panel monitor that at one time was used at a point of sale desk.  I haven't dipped my toe into FRStack yet, so that's the next step.

Cheers!

Everett