Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Too Much Space Between Letters Using CWX

Dave
Dave Member
edited January 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
When using CWX for sending CW, there is too much space (time) between letters sent by CWX. What is the fix? (using a 6500 running 1.7.30)
Thanks

Answers

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @Dayton I talked to Scott about providing a participial space between characters. Maybe there could be a user preference for the timing of the space character?  The other additional control could be the speed of various characters. IE send CQ @ 80WPM and ur call @30WPM? So in the message enter speed Ctl then text characters then speed ctl char and the rest of the message. Have heard other keyer programs that can do this.
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks Bill, your ideas sound great for a solution.

73, Dave, W9DR
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Too little space
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Baby bear said .. 'just right'
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We coded CWX to follow the PARIS timings.  
    • Dash length: Dot length x 3
    • Pause between elements: Dot length
    • Pause between characters: Dot length x 3
    • Pause between words: Dot length x 7
    If this is not the case, please let us know (a scope trace with timings would be beneficial)
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited December 2017
    Thanks Tim for the explanation. I have been using CWX with PowerSDR for 10 years and when I started using CWX with SmartSDR, my ears/brain heard a different timing of letters that are together but sounds like there is a spaces between them.

I will try timing the spaces on a scope 

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    For me the issue is the space between words. When sending my call for example, would like less space between my call and KN or TU. Problem has been when using a space after my call the other side would start transmitting before the KN or TU was sent because the space between words timing is so long. So I have stopped using space characters for now.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Bill,

The hardware Winkeyer command set has, among other things, a gap (1/2 dit) insertion character to fine tune the spacing.  This is missing from the Flex implementation.  Also the Flex does not have the embedded speed change commands that are quite handy in contests.  These are just two of the reasons I am still using a hardware Winkeyer.

If I send "5nn tu" with full spacing, half the time the other station is already transmitting before I even get to the "tu" part.

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Please do.  And if you see a discrepancy please let me know by opening a HelpDesk ticket.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Was PSDR based on the Farnsworth CW timing method?  I vaguely remember Flex did a complete rewrite of their CW coding for SSDR. 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Tim, fwiw, I think cwx, indeed, speed is just right.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.