Today's Windows upgrade dax driver problem.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Dax driver not loading after today's Windows update. I got a pop up to call support! The heck with that
Rolled back the update the world is all fine now. FYI. Jim n9kud
Photo of Jim Brinza

Jim Brinza

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Not surprised

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 802 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
Problem with just rolling back to an older version with out reinstalling and fixing the drivers is Windows 10 will just reload Update and bam your right back to where you where, No real way to really turn WIN10 Updates OFF.
I found that before I let the update install I remove SmartSDR , CAT and DAX then do the WIN update install and then Re-install SmartSDR.
Photo of Takeshi Yamada

Takeshi Yamada

• 173 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I reproduced the phenomenon.  And fixed the major part of the problem by using traditional uninstall/install fix Tim advised before under c:\Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\SmartSDR v2.0.19\64-bit Drivers\*_DAX.  However, I could not fix the problem of IQ_DAX.
I hope that DAX be improved to remote usable and more robust one soon.

73 de JI1BNU
Ken Yamada
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 929 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
Well done Takeshi .   

I think in the future when installing a major new release of WinTen I'll remove DaX before the upgrade and re-install it after the update.

In a survey from Microsoft about the upgrade process I mentioned the DaX problem - Hope the MS folks fix it next time.

TakeCare

Tim
Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 379 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Official Response
I had the same issue.  Followed the procedure linked below and it was a quick and effective solution.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 784 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes

What I have found to work best for me when going from one version of SmartSDR to another or if SmartSDR is not working correctly, is to just do a complete uninstall of SmartSDR including VSP/DAX Drivers. First I take note of my COM settings and make a backup of all of my profiles by simply using the “Export All” option in the profile manager, This way after I install a new version of ssdr and just “Import All” of my profiles and I’m back in business.

I found when I do it this way SmartSDR works perfect after and only takes a few minuets of my time.
This may not be necessary all the time but always works for me.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Don't know how it happened but somehow I accepted to update Windows 10 Creator and guess what, DAX error message. I followed Flexradio's suggestion I backed up my profiles by exporting and removed SmartSDR v2.0.19 including DAX from the computer, rebooted, re-installed and bingo all back seems to be back to normal.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 929 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
I had this same problem a couple weeks ago and a DaX un-in-stall worked.  Since then, patch Tuesday came up w/o incident.

Best,
k3Tim