Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

To Mesh or not to Mesh; that is the question

k3Tim
k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
Greetings,

The setup is a 6500 in a closet that has AC power only. How to enable WiFi access to it?

Currently using an old WiFi router and have the 6500 directly wired to it. Access via a PC or Maestro works but one has to connect WiFi to this particular router and without internet access, it's like connecting to a dead end. This solution, while working is to much of a compromise.

The latest (2.3.7.41) s/w is in use and working like a charm but due to the configuration one can't access the radio remotely. BTW the s/w upgrade went smoothly via the Maestro. The 6500 had to be connected (temporarily) to the internet.

Is there any hope of tying the old WiFi router directly to the IP connected WiFi router (quasi-mesh) ?  This has to be done wirelessly as drilling holes and running cable is pretty much out of the question.

A ethernet over powerline is possible but HF interference is a concern.

The solution seems to be a set of the Mesh based routers with one of the node points connected directly to the 6500. This seems  a reasonable solution with the only concern being the overall delay thru the (stacked) WiFi system. Would a mesh based WiFi be the recommended solution, sans hardwire?

The Google mesh appears to be a good choice, comments? 

_..--
k3tim / 7

Answers

• Stephen VA3KXP
    Stephen VA3KXP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    For several years I have used two Linksys WET610N devices to provide Ethernet access through WiFi to a device without running wires or having to drill holes. You configure them through the Ethernet port, and once you have it connecting to your WiFi, you disconnect the computer and connect the device you want to provide Ethernet to. I just did a quick search and they seem a little scarce now, but did see a couple on eBay.
  • Tom Porada
    Tom Porada Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    At Field Day this year we had access to the internet thru a hotspot loaned to us from a local Sprint store. To get internet access from the hotspot to our networked computers sharing a common log I setup an old router as a client-bridge. In this configuration the internet comes into the router via WIFI and is distributed to the computers via the ethernet LAN connection at the back of the box. Sounds like this might work for you. Read up on client-bridge and see if your router is capable of operating in that mode then look on YouTube for assistance.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Your actual current network topology is not clear.  Why do you need two wifi routers?  Or is your closet router really only serving as an Ethernet switch (and possibly as a DHCP server)?  Do you have good wifi coverage to the main Internet-connected router?

In any case you have options.  You can set up your "closet" router in "repeater mode", which then lets you access the Internet via the main router.  Many if not all routers support this mode. That's just a configuration issue, as long as you have a good enough wifi signal at the closet. 

The various home mesh router systems are very appealing, but they're expensive and they only make sense (to me anyway) if you have a coverage problem -- a very big house, for example.

Even the power line options are a possible choice, since they are now supposed to be avoiding ham bands.

73 / GL  Martin AA6E
  • Pat    KB6Y
    Pat KB6Y Member
    edited July 2018
    I saw this the other day while reviewing things for my 6500. Maybe it will help or bring up more questions. https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/208726766-WiFi-Requirements-and-Performance-with-Maestro?mobile_site=true
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Stephen and Tom for the helpful information. The client-bridge suggestion is exactly what would do the trick. 
    The WiFi  device connected to the Flex is a Netgear WPN802 and from the manual it just may this mode. The internet-connected WiFi is a Netgear Nighthawk X4S. They are in within range of each other (10 feet apart).  I hope that helps explain the topology Martin. 

I wasn't aware of the 'client-bridge' / repeater mode and thought one had to go with a mesh solution for this particular problem. 

Thanks for the helpful suggestions...

Tim/k3Tim 

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If your router can't be configured as a WiFi repeater, this dedicated repeater is $30. It has an Ethernet port for your radio. There are many others on Amazon that will do the same thing & they are simple to setup.
  • Stephen VA3KXP
    Stephen VA3KXP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I just came across this option. I think it would be neat to try. The Raspberry Pi Model 3 B+ has built in 2.4 G and 5 G WiFi. Following the instructions in this article (https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-wifi-bridge/) it should be able to setup the Raspberry Pi as a WiFi bridge. Stephen Cook va3kxp

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.