Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Timeout When Updating

Mark Erbaugh
Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
My 6700 developed an issue where it was acting like the UP button on the microphone was stuck (even with no mic connected). I opened a helpdesk ticket and the resolution is to return the radio and I was issued an RMA, but told to wait on shipping clearance due to the pandemic.

Anyways, with nothing to lose, I decided to see if an older version of the firmware might make a difference. The radio was running 2.6.1, I decided to go back to the version that was installed on the radio when I bought it new, 1.2.17. I installed SSDR 1.2.17 and fired it up. It said the radio needed an update. I said okay and was asked to verify the downgrade, which I did. In the middle of the update process, the display on the radio went from "Calibrating..." to "Timeout" and the LED gave 3 red flashes (repeatedly) indicating the software was not running. I tried a reset to factory defaults. Same results.

I searched here on the forum for similar problems and they all seemed resolved as a hardware failure. I find it hard to believe that a hardware failure precisely coincided with an update, unless the hardware failure was also what is responsible for my mic button problems.

As I said, it's no big deal as the radio is going back to Austin at some point hopefully in the near future, but I put this out to the community to see if there's anything else I should try.

Perhaps this experiment will give the troubleshooters at Flex some more data points when diagnosing problem.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Mark, by simply un plugging the radio and restarting usually clears a time out problem? I have heard of people needing to restart a few times to clear the issue.
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Not just turning off PS but unplugging is important. 73 Bill W9JJB
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bill, I don't know if you missed this or not. Tim said that if unplugging the radio is difficult then leaving the radio plugged in and waiting at least 30 seconds after the power supply is turned off and drained will work ok.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Here's what I've tried to no avail.

1) Turn off the radio
    2) Wait 2 minutes
    3) Disconnect the power cable
    4) Wait 30 seconds
    5) Reconnect the power cable and apply power
    6) Wait 2 minutes
    7) Hold the OK button while turning on the radio
    8) Wait for the countdown to do a reset

The radio still times out during boot
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Could be an SD card failure Mark, Help Desk? yes you started one,,,looks like they will check all that out.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Sorry to hear about the issues Mark.  Especially in this time when we are using our radios more probably and getting the fixed is harder.  It is frustrating to have it fail.

Hopefully Flex will turn it around reasonably fast.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Mark, I'm wondering,,did the SD card come up in your communications with Flex? If not, maybe ask them what their thoughts are on that? If that is the case then they can send you a new and you can install it yourself.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. The SD card did not come up in the Helpdesk emails, but I have updated it with that information.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Fortunately, the 6700 isn't my only HF radio, so I'm not off the air. Hams should always have a plan B (or C,D,E ...).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.