Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Time for a little perspective

Gene - K3GC
Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
Until last week my Flex 6500 was the best (by far) radio I have ever had.
SSDR was more than adequate.  Had problems that I still look forward to seeing resolved.
Then V3 - oh my goodness, is the world coming to an end?

Back up just a little here.  I read all the release information and quickly determined that V3 in its present state is not for me.  I quickly decided to wait and see what Flex does with V2.  Meanwhile my 6500 continues to make contacts as best it (I) am able in present lousy conditions.

The volume of attacks on V3 and Flex got louder and louder.  I even found myself getting carried along (to my chagrin) but my radio still works as well as ever and no one has twisted my arm to purchase an upgrade.

So what's the problem?  As far as I can see there is no problem.  If SSDR V3 offers an improvement for you , then by all means buy it.  If you see no value then don't buy it.  That is simple enough even for my simple mind.

Meanwhile, I pledge to myself to avoid all the noise and continue to chase that elusive ATMO.
I feel better already.

Comments

• N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I agree with you. Not one person in the general community is forced to buy it.
    I bought Version 3 and it works well for me. The constant rumblings have done
    nothing for the community. I'm just glad I do not have to sit across the dinner table
    with some. Thanks for your thoughts. If I have any input about a feature, I will post
    it to Flex in a reasonable manner. In other words I will treat others as I want to be
    treated. Have a great day Gene.

73, Jim N9VC
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ditto.
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Ditto
  • Brad - N6SPM
    Brad - N6SPM Member
    edited April 2019
    I too agree. I''m afraid the trend is like so many internet forums: downhill. We get the sort of forum we make as users.

73, Brad N6SPM
    6500 V2 and good to go
  • KT0AM  - Mark
    KT0AM - Mark Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Concur... The 6500 is the best radio I've ever owned. I decided not to purchase V3 since the multi-op functions didn't add anything to my operating style. Did I miss a few other bells/whistles? Maybe, but I'll save my money for V4; V2 is just peachy right now. Not perfect, perhaps, but I'll refer back to the first statement. By the way, I think the forum participation is going along just fine... all of the noise is human nature and I just delete my way through those threads. If I ever experience issues with the radio, I have full confidence that Flex will work with me to resolve them.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Gene, nice job stepping back and taking a look at everything in perspective. I looked back at the release of V2 and it was completely the same,,nothing new here folks. It is interesting how many people are finding uses for V3  unrelated to contesting. One person posted today that he uses his radio 100% remote and it is a dream on V3, but he pointed out a few bugs that will be corrected I'm sure.

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

I agree also Gene,

No one is forcing me to buy V3 so I won’t until it has something to offer me.

As long as they continue to develop SmartSDR I know there will be a version that’s right for me someday.

Also having dealt with other amateur radio companies in the past FlexRadio hands down has the best customer service I ever experienced in the industry.

In my opinion overall the 6000 series is the best amateur radio platform available today.

I love my FlexRadio and would not trade it for anything!

• Brad Adams (N4PYI)
    Brad Adams (N4PYI) Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well said! You get my vote!
  • W9TVX
    W9TVX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've owned a Kenwood 990, Elecraft K3S, and now a Flex 6700 + PG XL.

I am mostly on digital modes and phone. I contest and I rag chew. For my operating style, the 6700 is heads and shoulders above the other radios. The fact that I can see the activity on multiple bands concurrently, operate remotely, and have a minimal number of connection is the shack are really compelling to me. Integration with the PG XL is superb, and the amp itself is brilliant. 

I have a software background, so dealing with Windows issues is not generally an issue for me - though I can see how that would be painful for folks who are not particularly computer literate. 

I *personally* couldn't see myself going back to an old school knob and dial radio. 

Yes there are features that I would like to see added, and bugs fixed, but there is not a piece of software that I use which I don't feel the same way about. For my operating style and location, non of the issues I have are showstoppers. (Though I can appreciate and sympathise for those who are in that predicament)

Though multi-flex was not something that appealed to me, I upgraded to V3 because I always generally upgrade software, and I do want to support Flex and see it continue to be successful

I personally think that releases 2 (SmartLink) & 3 (Multi-Flex) have added some major new and differentiating features. It might now be worth having the next version take a pause and back fill on such things as polish and bug fixes, etc. Much like Apple did with iOS 12. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.