Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ThumbDV and DStar status on V.2.0.19

2»

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Let's keep the ThumbDV discussion rolling, Maybe Flexradio will chime in with some answers. image 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    G'day Guys,
    Has anyone tried rolling back to 1.5 to get it to work?
    I don't have a copy on my current PC.
    When it was first released it did work but broke for me before others.
    Andrew VK5CV
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Andrew 
    I'm still not clear on specifically what doesn't work, but I'm willing to do some testing, with SmartSDR v 1.5.1, but testing for what specific problem. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Just because, this thread had provoked my curiosity, I decided to find out for myself.

Reminder to All and myself.
    Do a full clean removal of all installed versions of SmartSDR first.
    Or, you will likely be wishing you had.

Reverting to SmartSDR v1.5.1, is not a simple one click, kinda thing.
    You will have DAX and possibly CAT/Com Port device issues if you don't do some thorough cleaning first.
    DAX and CAT were very different way back when.
    The radio reverted without issues.
    Windows 10, had all sorts of issues!!!
    IOW try this at your own risk!!!
    And really Think!!!image

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ok for anyone curious enough to try installing both SmartSDR v1.15.1 and v2.2.8, together. 

Ignore my previous post entirely, and just don't try it.

When and if I figure out what went wrong, I'll explain it. Short version ... Windows after 4-5 BSOD's came up in automatic repair mode, insisted on scanning for disc errors then BSOD'd again, then recycled back to automatic repair >> Scan for errors >> BSOD rinse and repeat. After about an hour of this, I managed to boot up a linux boot stick, scanned it with that found no errors, and after rebooting Automatic Repair finally gave me the option to restore from a system image. Luckily I had a fresh system image from this morning. Never did find any disc errors.

BTW the DAX Devices in those 2 versions of SmartSDR stomp all over each other.
    Call it a learning experience.
    Something you definitely don't want or need to learn!

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Jay,
    I can only say thankyou from us all for putting that one to rest.
    Andrew
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I would still like to know what specifically isn't working with the ThumbDV and the dstar plugin though.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I'm concerned about the lack of action on this issue.  Having now setup for 2 m, 70 cm and 23 cm I'm no longer able to keep excess radio gear on the table, yet without it, I can't work the repeaters.  I need the D Star option to function, I didn't realize this was an issue prior to buying all these transverters so now I'm in an awkward spot.

Correct, I too do not know what the problem is, but its serious as FRS has pulled the Dongle off the product web page.  Sure I can buy one from another outfit but that serves no purpose if the software doesn't support it.

The last FRS post was the issue with the D Star waveform would be addressed in V 2.xx, fair enough, but now its time to address it.

I'd like to hear an official response to my observations and get a sense of what or when this will be addressed.

Peter
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    PS this thread is marked as answered but that was years ago.  Hoping for something positive and more definitive
    Peter
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Peter and Thread

I'm just hoping to create some action on this issue. Being a SmartDSP-API project, the work could be done by 3rd parties. But that 3rd party would need to know what's broken, in order to begin fixing it. Complaining won't fix anything, I haven't seen anyone, Flexradio, or Flex User, doing anything. It will take action, and some Bug hunting and Bug reporting to get it fixed. I don't see anyone doing that. 

Flexradio Dstar isn't dead until someone tells us where it's buried. We might just need to dig it up and get to work.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Appears they buried it and did not tell us. They are not selling the DV3000 stick anymore. And they removed the DSTAR Waveform software from the files section. 

A missing person?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Has anyone contacted the group that made the dongles fro Flex to resell?
    http://nwdigitalradio.com

Interestingly, I cannot find the D-Star dongle for Flex on their website. Which leads me to suspect that they are no longer made. 

My guess is that NW simply didn't have enough sales to support fixing the problem, and buried the dongle in the back alley.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have a commitment, in writing, from Flex this will be done in six months, and that was a month ago.  
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    NW Digital still sells the ThumbDV. I have a ThumbDV in my FLEX6600. It works, but has the timing error with FLEX WAVEFORM software. 
    When I use the ThumbDV in any of my PCs, they work fine. NO timing error on any Reflector or Repeater it links to. 
    The NWD ThumbDV is a big hit in the DSTAR VHF/UHF/Reflector community. It works great there.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I just saw email from NW Digital today (12/04/18) stating they have received a limited quality of AMBE3000 chips and will be doing a last run of ThumbDVs before Christmas.  Limit one per order.

Cal/N3CAL
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Is that a final 2018 production run or end of the line final run period? Thanks & 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I was wondering the same thing so I've emailed NW Digital to clarify this.  I'll let you know once I get a reply. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    NW Digital responded saying they will continue making the ThumbDV.  Next batch will be in January when chips again become available.

Cal/N3CAL

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Currently you can order it again. Volker
  • Manuel - W4SSB
    edited June 2020
    I’d be interested in buying a used ThumbDV if anyone is selling one.
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It's been a long time slated for the fix yet still nothing. The dongle wasn't exactly a low cost item either. I hope the project has not been canned☹ some reassurance would be a good thing
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    There was a recent thread since SSDR V3 was released pointing out the D-Star waveform was now broken and no longer works/displays  digital data like call signs and position.  Flex has documented the new issue and it's been added to the previous version issues. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    DSTAR still "works" on SSDR V3, it receives and sends DSTAR voice, but the waveform app where you put in your callsign and also read the data from other stations does not start properly and thinks you are NOT in DSTAR mode. I have a trouble ticket that they might do something--"We've entered it into our system (#7372), and we'll look into it."
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Come on Kent! ,  I disagree with you!  You have really set your standards low if your going to say DSTAR still works!  I would NOT say DSTAR still "works" on SSDR V3!  It's no better than it was with Version 1 SSDR!  Actually it's worse now with the new bug # 7372.  The unfixed buffer delay issue  (bug #4400) makes it unusable with repeaters.   Face it it's broke and remains unfixed!  

Cal/N3CAL

• KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well, you are correct for repeaters because you cannot use the app to set the repeater setting.

However, I still can run the DSTAR HF net with it. The water fall display is invaluable to place the 6khz signal in an open space on each bands. 

Yes, the buffer delay is still there, they have been promising for a couple of years to fix that, now we have the app issue with V3

There are other SDR Transceivers being sold that have a USB port, that I am told the ThumbDV could access. Hope Flex fixes ours.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Any update on this? Did everyone give up?
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Last week I received this email from FLEX-

"We have traced the issue to a driver problem with a driver from FTDI (interface chip in the ThumbDV). We have been able to duplicate the problem on other platforms with this driver. There is a technical issue currently standing in our way that has to do with the libraries that we use to build the radio software. We are currently discussing the next steps which may include asking if we can get FTDI to recompile the driver for us."

So, they seem to be working on it. 

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks for the update Kent.
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have asked for a status of a fix 3 times in the past 5 months.... NO replies.. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.