ThumbDV and DStar status on V.2.0.19

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Answered
Hi FRS,

What is the status of the ThumbDV and DStar on version 2.0 of SmartSDR?
I seem unable to use either.
I just tried today and USB Cables doesn't recognize the ThumbDV USB dongle and the radio cannot decode any DStar at all.

Thanks
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of David Livingston

David Livingston

• 121 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
This has been an issue on my 6700 for well over a year. They know it is an issue and someday maybe they will fix it.   Good Luck

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Maybe FRS can chime in with an update.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Official Response
We have this issue in our bug tracker slated to be addressed in SmartSDR v2
(Edited)

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim. I hope is sooner rather than later. Unfortunately the Russian satellite with dstar didn't make it on the launch 2 days ago, but eventually they will succeed. It will be great if the rig is ready to work out by then.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
I understand your desire to have this issue addressed and the timeframe too.
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 352 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Tim,

Does that mean customers still using SmartSDR V1 will be out of luck if a fix does happen? 

Cal/N3CAL
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
It doesn't mean anything at this juncture because we do not know the nature of the fix and what challenges there may be integrating it into the v1 code base.

David Livingston

• 121 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
May I ask in what release of V2.xx ?  We are already in the second release of a great version but this DStar issue has not been addressed. I was told a year ago it would to be corrected in V2. I guess I forgot to ask what release of V2 !!!
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
At this time our entire development team is diligently working on readying SmartSDR to support our new products; the FLEX-6600, FLEX-6600M, FLEX-6400, FLEX-6400M and the PGXL.  That is all that we are focusing on for the next release of SmartSDR. Planning for the next version will be done after SmartSDR v2.1.x has been released.
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 640 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
V2.9999999
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 640 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
Maybe the development team needs to fix the bugs instead of working on New Offerings. Once again the current users are left out in the cold while Flex goes after the next big bang. And the new products coming out and the heck with the current users whose dongles don’t work for over a year now. I think your business model is . . . I won’t say.
Typicsl flex BS
(Edited)
Photo of Charlie

Charlie

• 23 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
You really need to modify this. You are still selling the Dongle on the sales site. The description would lead one to believe it works now as of software version 1.5. If i bought one on the assumption that it would work and foud it was not functional in version 2.0.19. I might cry foul.

ThumbDV

PRICE

Your Price: $119.00

Availability:

In Stock

DESCRIPTION

NW Digital Radio and FlexRadio Systems® have been working together since DCC of last year to provide a solution for AMBE encoding and decoding based on AMBE-3000TM technology, which led to the creation of the ThumbDVTM. FlexRadio Systems®, the premier manufacturer of amateur radio SDR transceivers, will soon release an update to their SmartSDR software in support of the JARL’s D-STAR standard. Owners of FLEX-6000TM Signature Series transceivers may add AMBE encoding/decoding to their radios by inserting the ThumbDVTM into one of the available USB ports. Use of the JARL D-STAR digital voice mode will be enabled through the SmartSDR software. This functionality will be supported in SmartSDR v1.5

I would change it to “in a future version of SmartSDR”.

I wish mine still worked.
(Edited)

David Livingston

• 121 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
So do I...!!!
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 54 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Stupid me, I just bought the USB Dongle and I now find it does not work???   OR it does not work the way it should..AND this has been going on for a long long time???  Some people have been waiting for three years to get things fixed???  Come on Flex..get with the program...
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3002 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
This is not a Flex problem. As has been explained.
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 352 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Sorry Bill but I disagree with you!   I don't recall Flex ever offically saying this is a NW Digital problem.  It is a Flex problem.   DSTAR is based around the AMBE-3000 chip and the ThumbDV is no more than the hardware chip used for encoding/decoding DSTAR.  The magic needed to make this all work in the Flex is the SSDR software.  
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3002 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
The ThumbDV is a third party product based on using the Flex-API 
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1289 Posts
  • 657 Reply Likes
I don’t think FRS has fulfilled orders for the ThumbDV for some time.

There seems to be three parts to the ability to actually use the product, what is on the ThumbDV physical device, what is available via the SmartSDR API and middleware integration/implementation software.

My impression is that the ThumbDV and the middleware came from NW Digital Radio, but some others have suggested the middleware is the product of yet another group.

Really doesn’t matter, as that middleware has never really worked right from day one, and seems to have no Software support as well as an opaque ownership. Doesn’t even look like there is code available, or much else to work with.

I am pleased to find out about BlueDV, a European ham’s work that will let you find some use from a ThumbDV, but it is pretty hard to actually figure out what that use really even is. Definitely there is no one-stop how-to-guide nor all-in-one web resource.

Great potential but unrealized both with the ThumbDV and in much use of the waveform potential of SmartSDR. At least as of early June 2018. Of course that may change.

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1289 Posts
  • 657 Reply Likes
I should have added that at times FRS also mentioned a “wrapper” level and I think segregated the waveform it a specific API focused on DSP. Uncertain if those FRS provided items are currently viable with the latest versions of SmartSDR.

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 846 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
I have tested my 6700 with ThumbDV  in DSTAR just yesterday  , SSDR ver 2.2.8. works well without negative surpises.  Important note from UM what sometime simply skipped by users is :  "D-STAR (DSTR) Mode can only be selected on one Slice at a time"
Photo of Volker Geith

Volker Geith

• 29 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Did you use HF or a TRV for VHF/UHF?

Volker
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 846 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
I have used 144 directly and 432 via transverter (28mHz intermediate)
Photo of Volker Geith

Volker Geith

• 29 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Good to know, thanks a lot! Will be using the same.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1577 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes
An oldie, but a goodie!

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/usb-d-star-board?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all 

I've been hunting for that thread for a long time.
It predates a lot of misinformation.
It's a mystery folks, let's figure it out.
I bought my ThumbDV after following that thread.
Which I've used as recently as last week with BlueDV.
I enjoy my ThumbDV, maybe we all can.
Ask the right people, the right questions, and maybe get the right answers.
Who can say?

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Hey, the good old days when we used to get  engineering responses almost instantly!! (tongue-in-cheek)
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1577 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes
Meanwhile, maybe one of the open source programmer types among us, could take some hints from this old GitHub repository. and figure some things out. 

https://github.com/chulochumo/OpenDV

I don't know Ed Gonazlez from Austin TX, but I bet somebody here in the Community does.

Just a guess on my part.

It's amazing what a google search can find.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

(Edited to include the missing link in my post.)

73, Jay - NO5J

(Edited)

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Sergey,
The ThumbDV dongle is still not showing up on the USB Cables window as it did before. How did you get it to work?

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Sergey,
The ThumbDV dongle is still not showing up on the USB Cables window as it did before. How did you get it to work?
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1577 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes

Salvador

Your correct, it doesn't show up at all under USB Cables, but it's not a cable so why should it? II's a Codec chip on a USB stick. and "works?" with the Dstar plugin. which enables the DSTR mode selection in SmartSDR. Getting it to work over the air still needs to be figured out though.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
It used to show up in there before. As a USB device it seems the place to be. Why they call it USB cables.... who knows?
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1577 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes
Let's keep the ThumbDV discussion rolling, Maybe Flexradio will chime in with some answers.  

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 263 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
G'day Guys,
Has anyone tried rolling back to 1.5 to get it to work?
I don't have a copy on my current PC.
When it was first released it did work but broke for me before others.
Andrew VK5CV
(Edited)
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1577 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes
Andrew 
I'm still not clear on specifically what doesn't work, but I'm willing to do some testing, with SmartSDR v 1.5.1, but testing for what specific problem. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1577 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes
Just because, this thread had provoked my curiosity, I decided to find out for myself.

Reminder to All and myself.
Do a full clean removal of all installed versions of SmartSDR first.
Or, you will likely be wishing you had.

Reverting to SmartSDR v1.5.1, is not a simple one click, kinda thing.
You will have DAX and possibly CAT/Com Port device issues if you don't do some thorough cleaning first.
DAX and CAT were very different way back when.
The radio reverted without issues.
Windows 10, had all sorts of issues!!!
IOW try this at your own risk!!!
And really Think!!!

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1577 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes
Ok for anyone curious enough to try installing both SmartSDR v1.15.1 and v2.2.8, together. 

Ignore my previous post entirely, and just don't try it.

When and if I figure out what went wrong, I'll explain it. Short version ... Windows after 4-5 BSOD's came up in automatic repair mode, insisted on scanning for disc errors then BSOD'd again, then recycled back to automatic repair >> Scan for errors >> BSOD rinse and repeat. After about an hour of this, I managed to boot up a linux boot stick, scanned it with that found no errors, and after rebooting Automatic Repair finally gave me the option to restore from a system image. Luckily I had a fresh system image from this morning. Never did find any disc errors.

BTW the DAX Devices in those 2 versions of SmartSDR stomp all over each other.
Call it a learning experience.
Something you definitely don't want or need to learn!

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 263 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Jay,
I can only say thankyou from us all for putting that one to rest.
Andrew
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1577 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes
I would still like to know what specifically isn't working with the ThumbDV and the dstar plugin though.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 310 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I'm concerned about the lack of action on this issue.  Having now setup for 2 m, 70 cm and 23 cm I'm no longer able to keep excess radio gear on the table, yet without it, I can't work the repeaters.  I need the D Star option to function, I didn't realize this was an issue prior to buying all these transverters so now I'm in an awkward spot.

Correct, I too do not know what the problem is, but its serious as FRS has pulled the Dongle off the product web page.  Sure I can buy one from another outfit but that serves no purpose if the software doesn't support it.

The last FRS post was the issue with the D Star waveform would be addressed in V 2.xx, fair enough, but now its time to address it.

I'd like to hear an official response to my observations and get a sense of what or when this will be addressed.

Peter
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 310 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
PS this thread is marked as answered but that was years ago.  Hoping for something positive and more definitive
Peter
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1577 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes
Peter and Thread

I'm just hoping to create some action on this issue. Being a SmartDSP-API project, the work could be done by 3rd parties. But that 3rd party would need to know what's broken, in order to begin fixing it. Complaining won't fix anything, I haven't seen anyone, Flexradio, or Flex User, doing anything. It will take action, and some Bug hunting and Bug reporting to get it fixed. I don't see anyone doing that. 

Flexradio Dstar isn't dead until someone tells us where it's buried. We might just need to dig it up and get to work.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of KENT HUFFORD

KENT HUFFORD

• 75 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Appears they buried it and did not tell us. They are not selling the DV3000 stick anymore. And they removed the DSTAR Waveform software from the files section. 

A missing person?
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 854 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Has anyone contacted the group that made the dongles fro Flex to resell?
http://nwdigitalradio.com

Interestingly, I cannot find the D-Star dongle for Flex on their website. Which leads me to suspect that they are no longer made. 

My guess is that NW simply didn't have enough sales to support fixing the problem, and buried the dongle in the back alley.
Photo of KENT HUFFORD

KENT HUFFORD

• 75 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
NW Digital still sells the ThumbDV. I have a ThumbDV in my FLEX6600. It works, but has the timing error with FLEX WAVEFORM software. 
When I use the ThumbDV in any of my PCs, they work fine. NO timing error on any Reflector or Repeater it links to. 
The NWD ThumbDV is a big hit in the DSTAR VHF/UHF/Reflector community. It works great there.
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 310 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I have a commitment, in writing, from Flex this will be done in six months, and that was a month ago.  
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 353 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
I just saw email from NW Digital today (12/04/18) stating they have received a limited quality of AMBE3000 chips and will be doing a last run of ThumbDVs before Christmas.  Limit one per order.

Cal/N3CAL
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1289 Posts
  • 657 Reply Likes
Is that a final 2018 production run or end of the line final run period?

Thanks & 73

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 353 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
I was wondering the same thing so I've emailed NW Digital to clarify this.  I'll let you know once I get a reply. 

Cal/N3CAL
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 353 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
NW Digital responded saying they will continue making the ThumbDV.  Next batch will be in January when chips again become available.

Cal/N3CAL

Photo of Volker Geith

Volker Geith

• 29 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Currently you can order it again.

Volker
Photo of Manuel - W4SSB

Manuel - W4SSB

• 45 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I’d be interested in buying a used ThumbDV if anyone is selling one.