Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Thumb Wheel Emulation?

Jim  KJ3P
Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
When in the home shack, I like to fine-tune SmartSDR with the thumbwheel...very handy.  But when operating remotely using a laptop (with only a mousepad) it's difficult to fine-tune.  How about a feature using the left-right arrow keys to emulate the thumbwheel tuning (change frequency by the increment setting)?  Or am I missing an existing way to do this?

--jim KJ3P

1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2019
    I use the griffin powermate , coupled via Bluetooth - this gives you a proper VFO the same as the radio or Maestro Also used in the SDR app on the IPad - same thing, just like having a Maestro in front of you Phil G4UDU
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    frstack3  can do that
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2020
    How fine do you want it?

If I change the Step to one, the mouse wheel moves the VFO in 1 Hz steps.  But, yes, you are not able to do with the left and right arrow keys.

Mike

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I think Jim was also asking if this could be added as a feature.  I would also like to see this added, as there are many times I'm demonstrating SmartSDR on a laptop without a mouse attached.

/drt
  • Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yes! Let's make this an official request to have the (currently unused?) left/right arrows be used for fine tuning.  Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

--jim
  • Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    UPDATE:  While I still think this function could/should easily be included with SSDR, I note that N3FJP's AC Log software (newest version, 6.6) includes several arrow-based fine tuning functions, which were included specifically for use during contests.

--jim
  • I would love to be able to use the left-right arrow keys for fine tuning. I find it very awkward to use the touch pad on my Lenovo "Yoga" to fine tune my FLEX remotely. I have two FlexControl devices but the arrow key idea would be much better on trips.

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭

try frstack3 , i use it for keyboard co^trolled operation like ptt, tuning , rit

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

This will be a repeat but......

FRSTACK is (for my workflow) the most amazing amazing 3rd party add on SW for the FLEX. It's one of those programs that "Just always works".

I have hotkeys all over the keyboard thx to FRSTACK. Tuning is not one of them (I use the mouse wheel for fine tuning) but it could be.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.