Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Third Party Applications use or avoid

Dan -- KC4GO
Dan -- KC4GO Member
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I would like to understand  why one would prefer FLEX build all their wants and needs into SSDR? 

Even though that need would only be used by a small percentage of the user base.  The use of third party applications allows for the customization of what we see and what we do thru the API and leaves the radio's processor free to process and manage RF and communicate the results. it's job #1 . 

With 3rd party the number of applications running is increased but if SSDR does the job or 3rd party does the job the the work effort by the PC will be about the same.

I use several 3rd party applications one gives me the ability to scan and have a squelch function. While not everyone wants to scan frequencies in HF or have a Squelch it's not something I would ask Flex to do. (Thanks Mark FRStack)

Shouldn't 90% of what Flex is working on improving RX, TX and the communications from the radio to the outside world. From there the API and the GREAT 3rd party guys take on a lot of the lifting  it's WIN/WIN.

Answers

• N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    IMHO of course 3rd party apps cannot be controlled by FR and they may void warranties, BUT trying to keep 3rd party apps from the schoolyard reminds me of Radio Shack's TRS computers which disappeared in part because they refused 3rd party apps.  Even Apple which is a control freak found a way to allow 3rd party apps.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Dan,

Building things into SmartSDR brings portability. This means that I can do the same thing from computer to computer, and even on an iPad, mac or even Maestro.

Also, something like squelch is a core radio function. That belongs in the radio software. 

One of the reasons I like Flex over "the other guys" SDR is that the settings are kept in the radio and everything is in one place. 

Ria
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Completely agree. Plus you have the potential and all that real state inside SmartSDR.... 3rd party apps feels a bit like all the extra devices you need to plug in to some legacy radios to get them to do digital modes, CAT, etc...
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I am OK with Flex keeping control of this but would like to see them open up the panels for 3rd party integration similar to what I have seen for the PGXL.  I would love to be able to turn on a skimmer bridge panel or my LP-100 or LP-500, SteppIR, Array Solutions 8 pack... The list is long.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    That I would not mind keeping in third party software. 

But anything that has to do with radio control or radio functions should be in the radio. Yes, you can have helpers for customization but things like squelch and band persistence should not rely on third party software. 

Simple things like a DVK and CWX should be in the radio. Since SmartLink doesn't support DAX it's hard to do a remote DVK unless you use a VPN. 

WSJT-X shouldn't be in the radio. MAYBE a basic RTTY and PSK function can be in the radio but it's not a make or break. I think that kind of steps over the line of what a radio should do. 
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    well i dont think flex should ever show call signs in the panafall
    cause it is a combo of 3rd party apps and internet needed to make it work

i like that flex has focused on making radio performance the number one priority
    and
    all the other stuff left to other apps...
    which could easily interface with the flex api's
    and
    on any platform too ( for example..ipad , iphone, PC laptop)

a simple thing as adding call signs can easily lead to feature creap
    such as
    can you make font user defined, oh yea make color user defined
    can you make it flash if i need them, for awards such as was, dxcc, vucc.county hunter
    the list goes on and on for something that appears this simple...

so my opinion ( current value of 0.02 USD )..

let the radio be a radio
    and
    let the apps be intelligent hamradio assistants using the radio interface (api's)
    and
    let the the radio be a server to all kinds of intelligent apps
    and
    interfacing with me and the computer ( aka user interface of my choice) and the internet.

Paul K3SF

• Gary L. Robinson
    Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I would think that since Flex provides the API's and provides support for them and encourages their use - that 3rd party apps would not be a warranty issue concern.  At least that is my opinion.
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
         The one thing that hits me is, if you want specific "bits" to be included in SSDR, and half a million users of SSDR do not use them, why go through all that development effort to have all this "bloatware" in a program that is essentially useless to most of the user ship (can you say Windblows?). Keep the "main" software where in belongs, to satisfy the vast majority. If some want more, Like you already have, supply the API so folks with the ability can develop the extra interfaces to do their thing, so that those with "special" needs can indeed access them. Just another "nickel"  Jim  KJ7S
    P.S. My personal use of external software boils down to this: N1MM for basic logging, WSJTx, for ft8, WoodBox SSmeters...and the rest can be left to those who desire it, in "outside" apps, as I have. If there is one thing I'd like to see, it'd be a full on version of SSDR for Linux.  Jim  KJ7S
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Kenwood TS-2000 shack in the box Since 2000 thats 18 years now.

Must be money in the ts-2000 or Kenwood wouldnt be making them for over 18 years.

Good or bad is not the debate here of the kenwood.

SDR radio how much more improvements on a radio can be made on 'RX-TX'?

Ruff comparison but at some point SDR moves onto next level?

Records-tape-CD-digital relm of Mp3 and other types of audio formats.

For Analog radio going digital and back how mouch can we add?

Add more software to a shack in a box.!

External to SmartSDR thats fine too. Add to Smartsdr for me IMO i would like even more baked in.

We have to ask like Hamradio Deluxe how far do we want to go but at least one thing

Flexradio only has a few radios to program to unlike HRD.

Either way bring on the software.

More modes more software. Software defined radio!

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Bear in mind that SmartSDR for iOS does this already. 
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Like the way you think is there an App for that?  ;)-

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    i also like the way you think too...

I have see Don Agro do some of that on the Mac with dogparksdr (dpsdr) which is a client that uses the flex api's and integrates with macloggerdx (mldx)  and macdoppler (satellite operaions). mldx is a logger, award tracker, cluster interface, 2D/3D mapper which also works with dpsdr and directly with the flex api's.

The mac version of wsjtx interfaces with jtbridge which interfaces with mldx to check log for stations worked/confirmed. Fldigi interfaces with mldx via scrypts.

Dpsdr shows on its panafall station callsigns from clusters and uses the filters setup in mldx. Click on the call, radio goes there and info sent to mdx for station lookup.

oh by the way i also can run a Virtual PC on the mac for DAX and CAT and cwSkimmer and use thus skimmer as a local cluster which also get posted into mldx via an app called extra_cluster..
    That way i can see posts from the cluster out there on the inernet as well as my own all at the same time.

NONE of this belongs on the radio

This is why i am looking forward to when flex releases multi-client.

Paul K3SF

• [{"insert":"Myself and a Lot of CW ops would love for them to just add CW side Tone while remote\nto the current SmartSDR Windows software,\nit gets frustrating having to use RKI software and more hardware plugged into the laptop just to work cw remote!!!\nI just saw that with a MacBook this is all solved\nHell if the software author can do it in a Mac\nFlex can surely do it, if they wanted to\nObvisously they want not to, so they can sell more Maestros that have an incredible backlog on shipping\nThat one thing pisses me off !!!\nSteve kG5VK\n"}]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.