Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Thinking of buying a Flex 6400M

12345679»

Answers

• Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Thank you Johan! Where may I ask is "over here "?
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    What is Binaural Audio setting enabled do ????
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @ Eric-KE0WMX   Sorry, I missed you question until now ..

if you look at qrz.com and my call SE3X you will be taken to a place called Are, a skiresort up in the midwest Swedish mountains.  A bit "offside" in many ways, but after living in Stockholm, Swedish capital" for many years, moving up here and working from home is a blessing. Still travel a bit, but not as when being in the middle of my career.

If you like skiing and/or any kind of outdoor activities .. give me a ring if you are coming this way :)

73  Johan

• Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Sweden! How funny, my mother's side of the family were Swedish, Ahlquist & Carlsson. One of these days I'd like to make a trip there, just to see the homeland.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I love go Sweden see sights and chocolate I hear great
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You are both welcome and give me a ring if ever this way :) 

And Joe, we have a local  chocholate factory here. I hardly dare to go by their shop .. I always walk in and out with to much of their delicious stuff :)

• Bill Carnett
    Bill Carnett Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Bingo...a lot of these comments are right on.  However, spending $$ for an antenna is much  much much more important...well, not spending$$ but having a good antenna. Then worry about the rig.  Without a decent antenna you might think you've made a wrong choice...particularly in this lousy sunspot cycle.  But, the 6xxx/M is an amazing radio
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I ended up buying a used Elecraft KX3 with the ATU, battery charger, and roofing filter for less than the kit KX3 costs by itself. It'll be here this Monday. That gives me more money to spend on antennas at this time. With me wanting to go out into the field, the KX3 makes more sense at this time. I WILL be buying a 6400M for a home base station eventually, but this gets me on the air now, and the KX3 has excellent reviews and stats. I think I made the right choice at this time, and I couldn't turn it down at the price it was.
  • Bill Carnett
    Bill Carnett Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    KX3 has a decent receiver, so good choice.  Once you play radio a bit you'll have a better feel for what features you like...you might end up NEEDING a 6700, hi hi.  But antenna is #1, that is what will do more good than anything else.....with band conditions the way they are now, get something with 3 - 5 elements on 20, or 2 elements on 40....you'll have a blast.  (this might get groans)....learn CW if you don't know it, lots of fun!  Good luck!
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    That's what I like about the KX3, the awesome receiver. That, and the fact that you can add the panadapter and the 100w amp and have a complete full power base station I figured I couldn't go wrong. I'll probably start with a dipole at first, then work up to different antennas. Going this route gives me more money to spare for antennas, which is a good thing with a QRP radio.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Good Luck Eric I’m getting-used K3s for back up for my 6400M Joe
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Elecraft seems to make some good gear, don't they?
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Yes K3 group nice group K3s needed for receiver up grade Etc not sure difference on KX3 QRP rig if that has S upgrade only thing u need is a well rounded external speaker as receiver a little **** ears stock
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I could never listen to either my K3 nor my KX3 without headphones - their speakers are awful. But the receivers are really good :-) The “binaural” capability on the Elecraft receivers also works very well - makes listening for long periods of time much easier. That said, the WNB on the Flex makes listening on 80 and 160 possible here - without that (i.e. on the K3 or KX3), I can’t listen to 80 and 160 - too much local noise.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I have a plan for sound on the KX3 at home, I'll hook it up to my Kenwood surround sound system. (Which I had also planned on using no matter what radio I got)
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Be _very_ liberal with the application of toroids (mix 31 or 43) on the wires going to and from your audio and control systems. That includes power leads. The more complicated the wiring setup, the more you will need that suppression.

Pay special attention to the common mode choking on your antenna feed lines - those can be the source of much grief to your sound system and computer system. Each wire going anywhere is an antenna :-)
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Good to know, I hadn't thought of that.
  • Robert Kearbey
    Robert Kearbey Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have a 6400M. I am at my office right now with laptop running wsjt-x and maestro on so meter sideband. you could save money and just buy 6400 with a maestro and a laptop. With multiflex you can effectively run two radios at same time.way fun  Bob K6DDS
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited December 2019
    Well, after four months a lot of thought I went a completely different direction. I bought a used KX3, didn't like it, sold it and bought a new Yaesu FT-DX3000D. Then I bought a restored Kenwood TS-820S, and found what I like. Currently looking for a restored TS-830S to go with it. I like the Kenwood hybrids so much I'm thinking of selling the Yaesu and buying a couple more. They're really wonderful radios and have a great vintage feel to them, and work well with a panadapter like SDRPlay.
  • N2WQ
    N2WQ Member
    edited December 2019
    The TS-830S is a fantastic radio, especially with the additional crystal filters. RX audio is outstanding, with no distortion, allowing for prolonged use without any fatigue. You won’t regret it.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited December 2019
    I have the hard to find YG-455C filter on its way now, looking for the other CW filter to add to it. (I did find one) I currently have a TS-830S that I'm repairing, receives really well but has no output. Pretty sure it's a band switch issue.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Eric, I really loved my TS-520 back in the late 70's early 80's in fact I tapped the IF and was using an old Heathkit SB-620 scope as a pan adapter. Took a couple of years before I could afford a 500 hz filter, OMG that was rough! I was green, didn't know what I was missing. Ha. I suppose you need to experience those hybrids at least once but eventually you get tired tuning up on every frequency change and all the other things like dial calibration, etc. Makes me truly appreciate the beauty of a Flex SDR's. Flex will be here when you're ready, in the meantime have fun., there is so much to experience in this hobby.image
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for the kind words Clay! I'll be getting a Flex eventually, maybe after the first of the year if the guy who wants to buy my Deuce and a Half comes through. I don't want to limit myself to just one style of radio, which is why I'm keeping what I have and building on it. Plus, I have two little ones that are seemingly more eager than me to get on the air and talk, so I'll have someone to leave them to when the time comes. I do know this, I'm gonna need a bigger house!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.