Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Thinking of buying a Flex 6400M

Answers

• Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    The Bioenno BSP-28 has a USB port for charging directly from the panel. I'm thinking that having two or three extra batteries for the Maestro would be ideal, and allow you to charge a dead one while still continuing to operate. (Provided you have a charging adapter for the battery) My goal with this is the least power consumption possible while in the field. Thus, no external computer, display, WiFi router, etc. But yeah, having a GUI of some sort is a requirement, I understand that. At home it's obviously a non-issue.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Depending on the battery pack you buy for the Maestro you may experience issues using the Ethernet connection while on battery. The Ethernet requires slightly more power than using WiFi. I bought the 6600 and Maestro rather than a 6600m. My reason is if I operate remote for extended periods from one location it is easier to use the Maestro. Multiple different mic inputs, PTT and CW key input, controls are easier than navigating SmartSDR for IOS. On the other hand for temp or quick remote operating I use the iPad or iPhone. Dave wo2x
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    That's interesting, I figured it would be the reverse, more power on Wi-Fi than using the Ethernet. Your reasons for the 6600 are great reasons, and having those inputs would be far better than the iOS app. This is the battery I'm considering: https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/lifepo4-batteries-for-communication-equipment-ham-radio/products/copy-of-12v-30ah-lfp-battery-pvc-blf-1230w?variant=19634268613
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Anyone have some good setting RadioSport Headset with wide range Condenser mic - I setup 6400M profile -wide range on 6400M and Mic gain 65-70 and trying with DX setting too I have not talked anyone bad bands tonight
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have no information to provide, Joe, but I do have a suggestion: For better responses to your questions re. microphones and headsets, start a new topic / thread. You will more likely get responses, and those responses will be more useful to folks who later look for answers before asking questions. No disrespect intended, just a suggestion to help you get an answer. Also, do a search on the Community - there are many discussions on this topic.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Just my opinion.  Taking the Flex out to the field to run portable is a poor idea.  Sure it will work but it is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  In addition to the powering/interfacing issues you need to resolve you also need to get the MARS mod for the Flex which costs $400.  A far better solution would be to buy a rig like a Icom 7100.  You can make it Mars capable yourself.  It is smaller.  You do not have powering/interface issues.  You get additional VHF/UHF capability.  And you can pick one up lightly used for $600 +/-.
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I second that.  And at that point we come back to the initial question raised:

Does the 6K4 make sense for him ( or any newcomer) . I still do not recommend it. As i already stated, ham radio life brings in so much things in the first couple of month´s if not years. A simple all purpose radio will not be a wrong investment.

A 6 Series Flex is a gear for the serious DX Hunter or  Contester or Traveller (remotely used ) . Mostly all other purposes can be served by simpler Radios too. 

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I’m a (relatively) new Ham, and a software / firmware / hardware developer - I don’t want a “simple radio” :-) I’ll leave that to the guys (and gals) who dislike computers.
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Eric,
    I, too, live here in Kansas so I'm interested in what sort of setup you actually use.  As far as radio battery power is concerned, you can buy booster/regulators that convert a battery's voltage to 13.8V as the battery runs down.
    But another question is, are you sure a Maestro will connect via its Ethernet port when it is running on internal battery?  I had an issue with this some time ago and found that the Maestro had to be operating on external power in order to use its Ethernet port.  On battery power, only the wifi was useable.
    Jim Charlton  AD0AB 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Speaking of WiFi and Flex radios, if you need a way to do WiFi to Ethernet conversion cheaply and conveniently, consider one of the “travel routers” for that job - use almost zero power and have adequate Ethernet and WiFi bridging capability. Who cares whether your device does Ethernet or WiFi?
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm gonna have to agree with Ted. Generally, when someone tells me that something can't be done, that generally makes me want to prove them wrong. Must be the Scotch/Irish in me...
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    James, I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. As for setup, I'll make something that's as self contained and self sufficient as possible. Wi-Fi would be beneficial in emergency situations, as you could step away from your BoO for whatever reason and still be able to make/maintain a contact. If the Maestro won't work on battery power while connected to the Ethernet, then Ted's travel router sounds like an ace in the hole, depending on what range it has. Worst case scenario I'll have to buy a little larger battery, not that big of a deal, depending on total power requirements. This has got my old grey matter grinding....
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    My favorite travel router is the GL.iNet AR750S - does VPN / USB tethering / Modem tethering / WiFi extender / Nikon camera control - Swiss Army knife!
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    John, why would I need the MARS mod to work ARES? They're two different things, unless we're taking about Greek and Roman mythology, which I'll happily discuss anytime.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Ted, I like that one, can be run off of a USB power supply. Really nice! https://store.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s-ext-gigabit-travel-router
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Eric,
     I have no experience with a travel router, but from others' comments, they sound like a good idea.  I may try one just to see how they work.
    As far as remote operation of a 6400 (non M) is concerned, don't worry, they work fine.  One guy brought his to the last Field Day and operated FT8 right up until the storms kicked us out.  It worked flawlessly even with flakey power and a wire-in-a-tree antenna.

Incidentally, congratulations on starting the most interesting and long thread I've seen here.
    Regards,
    Jim Charlton  AD0AB 
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    James, thanks for the congrats! I like to think outside of the box! I just can't help but think that a Flex radio with it's awesome ability to "see" transmissions with that huge display would be extremely valuable in an emergency situation, as compared to a non-SDR radio. A portable, self-contained radio that outperforms nearly everything out there would be an invaluable tool in a disaster. Coupled with Ted's little travel router and a self contained, solar recharged (or off of a vehicle's charging system if solar isn't available) box containing it all would be extremely handy, especially if you could leave the 6400, battery pack, router, and solar panel in one spot, and essentially walk around a little with the Maestro in hand, you'd have the portability of basically an HT with the power of a base station. I think I'm going to build exactly that.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2019
    I use the GL.iNet AR150 travel router for both the Maestro when there is a network with captive portal and my SharkRF OpenSpot version 1. No issues. Does WiFi to WiFi routing and WiFi to Ethernet. Here’s a link to Amazon https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-Pre-installed-Performance-Compatible-Programmable/dp/B01FJ4S9JK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Ar-150+router&qid=1565184557&s=gateway&sr=8-3 Dave wo2x
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Comparing the two on Amazon, the AR150 has an 80 meter range in an open area, and the AR750S has a 100 meter range. I'm thinking the extra range is worth the cost. Thanks for the link!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2019
    You’re welcome! The 750 has additional features you may or may not use but nice to have them. Dave wo2x
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Eric,
    Go for it!
    But, you should probably get your license first  ;-{
    Jim  AD0AB
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    That's my plan, going this Friday night before I go to work. Going to try and at least get my General, time permitting. All of the replies to this thread kicked my drive into high gear to get this done! Thanks for all the support everyone!
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Still on the travel-router as connection to 6400 from Maestro: Your statement, Eric, of “leave the 6400, battery pack, router, and solar panel in one spot, and essentially walk around a little with the Maestro in hand, you'd have the portability of basically an HT with the power of a base station.” Can be easily replaced by “Use an iPad or iPhone to access the 6400[M]” instead of the Maestro - even more portable, but won’t work for CW :-( Your remote in this case is within range of the WiFi router, but you can extend that to anywhere cell coverage is available also. Look for iPad / iPhone remote on the Community site, and you will find many happy campers. Maybe complicating things a bit more, but it sure is handy to be able to use an iPad.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Good point, lighter and easier to carry around. I knew this radio was a good choice! So many options! TRY THAT WITH AN ICOM IC-7300!
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    One more data point :-) The battery on a Maestro will last maybe 3-4 hours. The iPad or iPhone should last quite a bit longer. Can be used with 6400 or 6400M. Just depends on how much you really want knobs to operate the radio - only the Maestro gives you that remote..
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    The less weight and distraction during an emergency would be better. Using my iPhone would be a better idea. Besides, if it gets damaged it's only $100 to replace with insurance. Not so with the Maestro.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I couldn't find a really good place to comment, so I'll just put it here. I did the same as you, took all three tests at once. I had been licensed before but there was a big gap. I suggest you just go ahead and order your radio now. Get it set up, antenna in place, and start playing with the Flex software. As has been mentioned, there are really two learning curves. By getting your radio now, you can start climbing the Flex curve, listening to on-the-air activity to get familiar with the bands, QSO techniques, Net operating procedures, propagation day and night, and more, basically SWLing. Then when you get your ticket, you'll be pretty ready to start operating.

Also, since you are considering portable operations, check out the "luggable" thread on here. There also is a thread by Peter Kobak. He literally "wrote the book" on portable ops, published by ARRL, and available on their web site.

I will be out of town for a few days, but when I get back, we can set up a remote session from your home to my Flex using Smartlink. Then we could go over some of the basics of the SSDR software.

I know this is just one opinion, which are like belly buttons, everybody has one, but I recommend looking strongly at just getting the radio (non M), use SSDR or Ipad to operate it.Then if you really need knobs, go for the Maestro. I have had, and stil have, some legacy radios with knobs. I also have a pretty strong IT background, and I have had no need for knobs with the Flex.

It's a hobby, do whatever brings you joy. Each of us is different, so be yourself.

• Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    My current plan right now is taking the Technicians and General test this Friday (8/9/2019) and taking the Extra in October. Since I found out that there's a test this week locally that I didn't know about, I decided to get those two out of the way right away. The radio I won't be able to buy until October anyway, as that's when our end of the year bonus comes, and it's slated for Ham use. I've decided to go with the 6400 for two main reasons, #1, it's cheaper #2, it's lighter. Now, given that adding a Maestro to the kit will negate the weight advantage over the 6400M, but if you think about it, it doesn't, if you add a Maestro to the 6400M down the road. (Weight savings of 4+lbs) I'll be buying a Maestro in February anyway, so this will give me a few months of computer/iPad/iPhone use of the 6400 so I can get some familiarity with it. After the Maestro shows up, then it'll be time to buy the battery, solar panel, solar controller, router, and box, as well as the needed odds and ends to make it all play together, as well as a portable antenna system. (Home antenna will already be up and running, obviously) Having the Maestro as well as an iPad in the same box will give me redundancy in case one fails, and I like redundancy. As always during a large purchase, I like to plan things out as far in advance as possible, to avoid costly mistakes.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2019
    Eric, if you pass the tech and general, then give the extra a shot. You might pass it but at least you will get a feel for the type of questions. I also had another friend, a police chief, take all three at once and pass. You are more prepared than most for your first HF radio. Between your background, the questions asked here, and the input from the Comm7nity you will do fine. My best friend took all three in one sitting and got his extra. His background is Navy engineering. I remember the day he told me. I had no idea. He was even thinking about it. He wound up with my Flex 5000a as a first HF radio and had no problem setting it up. The 5000 and PowerSDR is more complicated. Dave wo2x
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I want to, the problem is time that night. I've gotta work after that so I don't know if I'll have the time to do it and be on time to work, since the two locations are on opposite sides of town.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.