Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Thinking of buying a Flex 6400M

Answers

• Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Sounds great, I'll definitely be getting the antenna tuner when I buy the 6400M.
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Good Luck on the test. Gene, K1GD
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Gene! I need all the help I can get!
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Tracking says RadioSport Headset /mic
    Be here Tuesday let u know how it sounds Eric on receive on ears and transmit just have play with
    EQ Etc
    Joe
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Flex has no squelch even after 2 paid upgrades, so u know.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Having my flex 6400M for 7 Days I am now that I’m expert-
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I’m getting my first computer and paying for internet in house today -How did I live without a computer in my life for 63 years _My wife likes the Flex 6400M She just little upset she thinks computers are evil
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Joe,
    Congratulations on your first computer!  But beware, your wife is right.  Computers are evil ;-}
    Jim Charlton  AD0AB
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    James, I assume your reference to sending CW requiring a Maestro or “M” series was regarding running remote? The non-“M” series work fine on CW with paddles plugged directly into the rig when running SSDR. But you are correct that you can’t use paddles on a remote laptop in the other room or down the block without an external WinKeyer.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would certainly commend the Flex community for this very long, very civil and very productive thread. 

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2019
    That is where CWX in live mode comes in. How is your typing? Also the CWX macros for when that rare DX pops up while you are on the road. ;-) Dave wo2x
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Good Luck on your test!  Nothing beats good prep.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Agree I have question my friend sending me Acer computer not sure spelling write but it has windows 7 is that ok use with my flex 6400M if not how do I upgrade to Windows 10 ps no computer store within 500 miles from Bethel AK
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Oh Lord! Stick with Windows 7. You’ll have a lot less trouble.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Windows 7 is so much better than Windows 10. It will work great. 

Now how do we get you SSDR without a connection? Or did you get a CD with the radio?

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Ok cool my just said wife has enough window wash at house lol that great on on windows 7 good for 6400M My bet my wife will use the computer to internet shop till she drops lol right now she scared of computers -life in Eskimo village
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    sigh....  Support for windows 7 is going bye bye.  That means Security UPDATES are also going the way of the DoDo.  Win10 Pro x64 is what I have running on my workstation.  Once I shut off Microsoft's personal intrusion via their Personal assistant, and loaded Firefox as my Browser instead of edge, I have ZERO ISSUES, Nor ZERO complaints with anything windows related.

I have had run a full blown installation of WIN10Pro x64 on ONE stick of 2Gb memory with a core II Duo... 3Ghz machine from 2007, it wouldn't scare anybody but operated fine.  There's no way you'd get that sort of performance on Win 7...  and I would Only consider Win 7 Pro and the x64 versions of it in the first place.  Ihave also utilized 8.0 and 8.1 and while 8.1 was OK... The changes in the page where the programs icon sat is what got everybody riled up...  Win 7 looked like XP if you desired.

All the negatives about Win10 are from people who got stuck with win 8....  that was junk.  My 4 Gb Acer mini laptop runs x64 of home...  anyway,. You can update to 10 right on the Microsoft website.  It will seem virtually painless.  Cleaning up the START MENU is highly recommended...  Erika DD
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Now how do we get you SSDR without a connection? Or did you get a CD with the radio? My Flex 6400M had too upgrades on screen I’m using one now starts with 3 cannot remember rest numbers I just put Antenna on Flex 6400M put 35 amp power supply on it and was talking on 14292 ssb in 5 mins What’ is SSDR ????
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Win10 is an absolute disaster unless you can prevent updates. And if you use Win 7 only for your Flex and don’t go surfing, you really don’t have security issues.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    It's great when people have no problems ever, but W10 has been plaguing a huge number of users, not just Flex owners. I had to go to Enterprise to stop Windows 10 updates renaming my audio drivers. 

I've been doing this since mainframe and MS-Dos days, and I find I have to treat Microsoft as as much of a bad vector as I do with other viruses and malware. 

Definitely true about Windows 8. After dealing with it's whack-a-mole administration for a year, I refused to support it. 

Regardless, I find my other setup, W7Pro on a Bootcamp partition to be rock solid. AV, Ad Blocking, and Ghostscript keep it pretty healthy.
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Ken,
    Yes, that's what I meant.  I operate mostly CW and checked this whole thing out before buying a 6600M and a Maestro.  A friend of mine has a 6400 and was very helpful in making my decision.  He uses an Ipad but only operates voice and FT8 and other digital modes.  He explained that a Maestro is necessary to use a key or paddle for CW.  

He showed me that it is possible to plug a paddle into the 6400, but you must be at the 6400 to do that.  To me, the value of the Maestro is to operate CW from my deck or porch on nice evenings, like tonight.

My present setup is my 6600M lives in the basement and the Maestro lives in my home-office.  With the introduction of Multiflex, it is like having two entirely separate Flex radios - how cool is that?  Incidentally, I have a toolbox that the Maestro just fits in.  I throw in a paddle and a couple of batteries and I call it my go-box.

Thanks for saying what I really meant,
    Jim Charlton  AD0AB 
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have 2 PCs, one on win7 and one on win10 which I use for logging etc.  Win7 is definitely better.  But this is why I operate the radio via a Maestro and not a Windows PC.  The PCs may be troublesome, but the radio always works.
    Jim Charlton  AD0AB  
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Excellent setup. I almost traded my 6500 in for a 6600 (non-M) when they were introduced, but had unexpected auto and medical bills that nixed it. It is a very nice rig that is still on my list. My 6500 lived on my main shack desk until we moved two months ago. I am unpacking a lot of the shack this week. I used the iPad or laptop in my living room when I was too lazy to go down the hall to the shack. Lots of fun!
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Joe, SSDR is just the initials of SmartSDR, the Windows version of the radio software.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Ok SSDR I have see what SSDR does with my 6400M I Got rooter just now image
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Got RadioSport Headset today have on 6400M wide range setup on radio to my ear sounds best adjust inch mic gain now not sure is EQ needed image Dam first headset mic works with my behind ear hearing aids these RadioSports going open need world for me sounds great on receive Joe
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I agree, you guys are awesome in helping me make my decision!! Many thanks to everyone who has posted here!
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Thank you! I have to basically start over on the General because I was doing the wrong pre test. Just in case someone else is reading this thread and doing the same thing as I am, don't go by this app, it's the wrong test:image
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited June 2020
    Ok, after doing some thinking between the 6400M and 6400, I have a question for anyone who's done this before. I'm really interested in participating in ARES and RACES, (with Kansas and tornadoes I think this is a really good idea) and let's say I want to take my Flex into the field. With the 6400M, being a single unit, I don't see much of an issue, other than increased power consumption because of the display. With the 6400 and Maestro, having a Wi-Fi router will require more power, and therefore lower battery run time. But, with an Ethernet cable connecting the 6400 and Maestro, this will be avoided. I plan on building my own power supply using a Bioenno 30ah battery and their foldable solar panel and charge controller. I'm thinking that with the 6400 and Maestro, I'll have better run time because of the Maestro's self contained power supply, and it won't be using the Bioenno battery. Connecting them with an Ethernet cable cuts out the Wi-Fi aspect, and I don't see anything that says the Maestro uses power to maintain it's battery through the Ethernet cable when it's connected that way. So, my question is, how well does either radio work on 12vdc compared to 13.8vdc? I would think that the 6400M would consume more power because of the display, compared to the 6400. This alone is making me consider the 6400 over the 6400M. Anyone have any experience with either in the situation that I'm envisioning?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    One datapoint: the Maestro will also need charging eventually, and I believe you will have to do a bit more work charging a Maestro battery - I think it is a USB-style charger. So charging it from the solar panel / battery setup will need a 12 to 5 volt converter (although that’s not the end of the world - they are cheap). In the end, you need to run the GUI interface, whether bolted on or not.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.