Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Thinking of buying a Flex 6400M

Answers

• Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I sure love the auto spell check that messed up my post. Anyway, I chose the 6500 and Maestro so I could go remote with the radio at home and use the Maestro at the remote site. I also like knobs and not need a computer. I now also have the ap for the iPad and it is also really nice. Have fun getting to know your new Flex which ever version you get. Gene, K1GD
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Nothing difficult about it at all, and the you tube videos are a great help as is this group. And if all else fails, Flex Customer Service is great.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    The remote function at this time isn't that important to me, which is why I'm leaning towards the 6400M. I think it suits my wants and needs better right now.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm finding that this forum is a very good "help desk", and the videos on YouTube are very helpful as well.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm finding that this forum is a very good "help desk", and the videos on YouTube are very helpful as well.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Flex 6400M just gets better for me just used Zoom in out on flex screen Water. Fall even reads weak signals
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You do  not need a computer when using the 6400 (non M) and a Maestro.  I am not sure how you got the impression a computer is needed.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    So now that you have seen all the discussion and just to make sure you have not understood something incorrectly.  Go ahead and list what specific needs you think the 6400M meets that the 6400 plus Maestro does not?

Then if you have something wrong we can correct it.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Oh, I know that. I was referring to the "buy in stages" comment, meaning buy the 6400 now, and the Maestro later, in which case a computer would be required initially.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    It pretty much comes down to wants, I would prefer a radio that is a self-contained unit that doesn't require any peripherals, but has the capability of interfacing with a computer if I so desire. I can always buy the Maestro later if I want to, then I'd have the best of both worlds. (Which is the direction I'm currently thinking)
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Thank you for the kind words Steve, they are greatly appreciated! When I first decided to get into this, I visited the local ham radio store in Derby, Kansas. It's about a 15 minute drive from my house, and I took my 6 year old daughter with me. I told her that I wanted to look at radios and get some advice about getting into the hobby, test dates and locations, antenna options, etc. We spent over TWO HOURS at the store, got to look at the store's antenna setup, and I had many questions answered that I didn't even know to ask. On our trip home, while pickling up our customary shakes, I asked my daughter what she thought about all that. She thought it was the coolest thing she'd ever seen and was really interested. I think she was more excited than I was! On the way out, I bought a copy of the July 2019 issue of QST, to look through when we got home. I read through the articles, then started looking up the ads for radios that I'd never heard of before, then I got to page 25. Up until then, I had done a Google search for "most popular amateur radio", and kept coming up with the Icom IC-7300, and they Yaesu FT991A, and between the two I liked the Icom more. My reasoning was, why buy a radio that does two things mediocre when you can buy one that does it's one thing really well. Well, that lasted until I discovered the Icom IC-7610, which to me sounded like the bee's knees. Until that page 25. So, I got onto the Flex website and poked around, then did some more Google searching about Flex radios, and I thought, man, this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a radio, and there's one that's cheaper than the IC-7610, and does more than it as well. Then it was onto reviews, user problems, major issues, etc. Not finding anything that either A, I couldn't fix myself, or B, hasn't been fixed at least a year ago, I decided to register here and ask the question. I knew that I wanted to purchase just one radio for HF, then a VHF/UHF radio later, and limit myself to just those two. Understanding that I don't have unlimited funds to buy the really big boy stuff, I limited myself to about $3000 for just the radio, starting with HF, then moving on to 2m and 70cm later. (Yeah, I know that it's backwards from what most people do, but I'm left handed so I'm used to being backwards) I knew I wanted a standalone unit, with the ability to hook up to a computer if I ever wanted to in the future. So, that's when I decided that I want as future proof a radio that I can possibly get for the money that I want to spend. That's when I noticed that quite a lot of amateur radios are at least two to three years old, and there isn't much updating in the hardware department in this hobby. Knowing my luck, as soon as I bought something, two months later a newer version would come out, and there I'd be stuck with a 2016 model in 2020. Since I plan on only buying one radio for the next 8-10 years, I wanted to make the best decision that I could, and buy the most future-proof radio that I can afford. This is what led me to the 6400M. So, here I am, poking the bee's nest looking for honey!
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Best comment of Thread so far below More as a reminder to my fellows in the community - we collaborate to help each other, rather than manage each other. The only tests we're challenged to in our hobby are first the licensing steps and later being a good operator including respecting the rules.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Eric, what it is, is a different paradigm. There are some folks that buy a Flex Radio after many many years of legacy radios. They might also be an RF only guy or gal. For them, it can be an issue to wrap their head around the concept of a server with an RF front end. You'll see a little bit of that in here where some folks complain about something that "doesn't work". But it does work, it's just a slightly different world. 

The 6400M will work great for an inexperienced person. Now that being said. for my  experience, SSDR has it all over the M models and Maestro. I love my Maestro, but nothing beats my dual monitor with a 42 inch Screen setup. 
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Okay Joe - looks like the 6400M is your leading candidate. 

What are you planning to do for an antenna? How much room do you have?
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Well, I do have a 55" Samsung SUHD curved flat screen tv that will be in close proximity to the radio.... Might be a little bit better than the 8" screen.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I like these dipoles made in Holland Have short 10/80 on my boat and 133 foot with Flex 6400M at house -Boat dipole holding up great in salt water. air -Joe image
  • Brad Steffler
    Brad Steffler Member
    edited December 2019
    I HAVE to reply.

I am 70 years old and a physician who still teaches in a medical school. In a former life, I programeed on an IBM System 360 system with Fortran IV. (C, C# and C++ are much better - no spaghetti code) My BS is  in mathematics, which may prejudice me a bit. I think that SDR is the way to go and that Flex is the best in SDR. I started off with a Flex 5000a, moved to a 6500 and now use a 6700. I was first licensed in 1979 and have seen many analoge rigs. IMHO,  Flex SDR is the pinnacle, even if I didn't have a math/programming background. 

A 6400M is an excellent choice and the front panel will get you on the air more quickly. 
    go for it!!!
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Eric,
    One last thing to consider is that if you want to send CW, you must have either an "M" series radio or a Maestro.  As far as I have been able to discover, there is no way to send CW from a computer because there is no place to plug in a key or paddle.
    Good luck,
    Jim Charlton  AD0AB 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Rumblings are that Tom NJ8D  has a locally working wireless setup that some of the community are using.  Dallas K1DW suggested this solution for CW last fall.

Steve
    K9ZW
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Key, Keyer or paddle plugs into the 6400 and 6600 as well as headset and speakers and microphone. If you operate remote the M models are the same as non M models and don’t provide for sidetone and latency effects.

Maestro will allow remote CW with paddle remote to any of the models.

Remote I run CW with the keyboard, CWX.

Bill
    W9JJB
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you are not comfortable with Windows computers I would not recommend the Flex. You are going to run it remote and once you run a Flex Radio remote you will never go back to knob radios.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I use exclusively Mac and a 6600 and am perfectly happy! Only use SSDR for updates (although the M backend does that as well).
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Joe, I'm itching to ask questions about Ham radio in Alaska. Do you have high noise levels, and what kind of antenna setup are you using?
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I only use these dipoles only one holds up 50 below zero and Alaska winds and snow -rain SWR never changes I use military grade 213 coax
    Made in Holland pricy but no Antenna Tuner needed I also run Dads Ten Tec Titan 425 amplifier 1500 watts plus and Ameritron 80B 900 watts with Flex 6400M that a week old today
    Northern lights affect us greatly now 20 meters almost dead all day only 3 hour window - 80 /75 meters 3933 and 3920 AK night nets 6pm 10 pm -40 meters is
    AK go band I can talk lower 48 from 7pm AK time to 2 am
    If anyone wants talk me go on 7190 lower ssb from
    11pm to AK time 1230am every night it’s called Triple H net I talk to just about everyone from Seattle to AZ with Dipole in picture at 20 feet off ground
    Joe LL4QG Question on noise level 20 meters no noise 40 not bad 80 little noisy but Flex 6400M lets me hear Better than any HF I owned in 30 year
    imagen
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm planning on going with my Mac Mini to use with the 6400M. Although we have a couple Windows laptops, I just like the Mac better.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't plan on doing CW right away, if I tried it'll look like a 3 year old trying to send a text message. "fjfuebxiajan dhrovibnahrjbs botjensivnfn" ;)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Eric, With your computer and avionics background I have no doubt that you would be able to handle the learning curve of a Flex Radio, especially since you haven't learned any "bad" habits operating legacy (analog) gear.  The "M" interface is logically arranged and functions well.  And if you want additional capabilities, you can run it with SSDR on your Windows computer (or Mac with Windows emulator) or with the Mac and the Dogpark Software.

If I read correctly, you don't have your license yet, by that wouldn't stop you from learning the ropes operating it as a SWL.  (I played with my Ham receiver for two years as a 7th & 8th Grader before getting my Novice ticket as a freshman in HS.)

My best advice is read the manual, watch tutorial videos, read the Community forum and knowledge base, and don't be afraid to ask questions.  (But it helps to learn how to do a search on the Community first because your questions may have been addressed before).

Good luck with your decision.  I, and others, are ready to assist you.

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I ran a T-11 Log Periodic at 38 feet for four years in southern Indiana and it was the best antenna I have ever used.  65-70 ft. would have been better, of course, but any steerable antenna at 40 ft would give you a lot of signal on 20 through 6 meters.  

I even ran an inverted L 35 feet up and 85 feet out for 160 Meters and Worked All States.  So it is a very usable height.

As far as antenna tuners go... the Flex internal tuner is good to about 3:1 SWR, give or take depending upon the band and type of mismatch.  There are external tuners that will match a much wider impedance range, but I have found that the internal tuner on my 6500 has usually been quite sufficient for the various antennas I have run lately.

Ken - NM9P
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    There is a test here this Friday that I am seriously thinking of going ahead and taking, just to see how well I'm doing. I've been taking practice tests using the Ham Test Prep app, and was doing really well with the General, then I found out that I was taking the wrong test that expired in June! So I've been cramming every extra minute that I can using the correct test, so far so good. Since this exam is free this Friday, I think I'm gonna try it and see how well I do. I've already downloaded the user manual and the hardware manual, and have been studying them, as well as watching videos and reading here.image

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.