Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Thinking of buying a Flex 6400M

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You STILL have only one receiver to which those antennas go.

Interesting.  Seeing as the 6400(M) models have two independent receivers, I would think SSDR would allow each receiver to be mapped to the two antenna connectors (i.e., Slice 1 to ANT1, Slice 2 to ANT2).  No?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I probably should have said “SCU” rather than receiver. If you consider slice == receiver, then of course multiple receivers are possible on one antenna. Just doesn’t work very well if the antenna is tuned for only one frequency, and you are limited in how far away from each other the two slices can be in the 6400.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Keeping the peace with the Mrs is always a great idea! Mine's still trying to figure out why I want to do all this. My excuse? It'll keep me out of bars and at home! But honestly, as a kid I used to play with radios and fixing them, I used to buy old tube radios at farm auctions with my dad for usually less than $5. I fixed my first radio when I was in kindergarten, all it needed was a new power cord that I replaced with an old extension cord. I'm lucky I didn't electrocute myself! When I was 12, I had more radios than brains but usually got them working again. Those days of cheap, easy to fix as a kid radios are looking gone sadly, and I've been out of the game for the better part of 20 years. So I decided that's it's time to get back into the game, as I've been riding the pine for far too long.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    My 6400, same ATU as the 6400M, works great. I have a 160M/80M, OCF, Fan Dipole. The 6400 tunes all bands with the antenna natural SWR 2.9 and below.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Good to know, I'll definitely be getting the ATU when I buy one.
  • tmcdonough
    tmcdonough Member
    edited August 2019
    I have operated for many years with a tower to help support various types of fairly simple wire antennas. In my case I have a 50ft tower that has a balanced line fed 80 Meter doublet and an end fed wire antenna. Both work well and I choose between them based on which works better -- they are oriented in different directions so there is nearly always one that hears a weak signal better than the other.

The Flex internal tuner works very well but it does not seem to match as wide of an impedance range as some others. I still use it most of the time.

Tim N9PUZ
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    At my place, 40' is the highest I can go and stay at least 10' away from the power lines. Once we get the place out in the country I want to buy then there will be no limitation up to 200', which I don't plan on ever going near that high. But, it'll be at least two years before we're able to do that, so my limitations right now are 40'.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Hello Eric,
    I also would recommend buying a Flexradio as it is state of the art tech. If you are comfortable with a PC you will be just fine. Or you could buy a 6400M and use it stand alone without a computer.

I could not be happier with my Flex and if you are not happy you can always sell your flex and buy another radio.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Your first radio? Here a similar scenario; I am about to get my driver's license for the first time, I'm thinking about buying a top of the line vehicle that I can keep, not trade. replace or upgrade for a very long time. What would you tell that person? I have a friend who bought a 6500 (one year before you could buy a 6600). Two years later, (at Field Day, ?) he asked me what I meant by RST. In this hobby, like many others, trying new gear is part of the journey. It's the journey that's fun. There's always something more to learn and do. Are you buying the matching PGXL? How about an antenna tower with large antennas on top? Buy an Icom 7300 ( a new one is about $1000), it's a popular radio, and you'll be able to resell it for almost full price. Full disclosure; I own the 6600 and Maestro.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    6400M... good plan.  While you won't have the initial capability of operating remotely with a Maestro, if you own an iPad, just buy the iOS SSDR App and you'll be  operating remotely in nothing flat.  Plus as you point out, you can always add the Maestro later and have the best of all worlds.
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Exactly what I was thinking. You don't get a Formula 1 car with a new drivers license.
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Exactly what I was thinking. You don't get a Formula 1 car with a new drivers license.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Not really a fair comparison.

#1. Most people when first getting their license cannot afford a super car.

#2/ Most people when they first get their license do not have the experience to handle a super car when driving at performance levels (accelerating, driving @ high speed, etc). They wind up in accidents. With a Flex you can always reset the radio if you really **** something up and start over. No harm, no foul.

The Flex can be operated by a new (to HF) user just fine along with other traditional radios. The location of the controls is the biggest difference. Advanced features and modes require a learning curve. Setting up and using FT-8 on the Flex is actually easier than doing it with a SignalLink USB and FTdx-5000.

I know people who are in their mid and late 80's who took to the Flex like a duck in water. But like most things in life it is easier if you have someone to help you get started. Those people who help are called Elmers.

There are plenty of helpful videos and set up guides to get people started with a Flex.

Dave wo2x
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
     Eric, after seeing your weigh ins on all the comments I may have misread you. Your going to take all three tests all the same day.?? Perhaps you can do a Flex for your first HF radio. I would not but that is just me.
     As long as  you have the time and  money to toss around and what you do for a living looks like you do.. Go for it. In the beginning  of your post,you seemed like a real beginner, no ticket?  So I put the brakes on... I recant..... Go for it. I recant my first statement and sorry if this forum got flamed.  73
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hey Eric - you answered the question I was going to ask. Familiarity with computers. To me, that is the critical piece of information. If you are familiar, your path to proficiency with a Flex will be a lot easier. 

I came to Ham radio from the computing field, and the experience has been very good.

Any of the Signature Series will be FB for you, The 6400 should be great. You can run that even without a computer, but once you get into digital modes, you'll want a computer to run DAX and CAT with. The connections are incredibly simple. and the audio is really clean. 

I highly recommend either the 6400 or 6600 - the 6400 is a real bargain IMO, and you could move up later if you like. I took a slightly different tack with my 6600 by buying the maestro with it instead of the controls and screen on the radio. 

But with computing background, you can't go wrong.

• Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I also am a relative new to **** gear. I bought my cpo 6500 with a Maestro last December. I am not a digital mode operator ,but have adapted to screen quickly. I have also bought the sdriOs software for my iPad. Love both configurations. It is well worth it getting a Flex rig, love mine, even though I still have my Collins S-Line and Icom 775DSP. Make the plunge, you’ll love it. Gene, K1GD
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I have an iPad and an iPhone, and I downloaded the iOS app to check it out and play with the demo on it. Seems pretty easy.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I figured to use it standalone first, then play with more features as I got more comfortable with it. I think it's a pretty good plan.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited June 2020
    Everyone seems to totally love theirs, and the support seems 2nd to none. I think I can't go wrong.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes, I plan on going for the gold in one sitting. I've been studying for months now and I'm pretty confident that I'll at least pass the technician and general. The extra has me at about 75-80¡ on the practice tests, so I'm still working on that one.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I have a Mac Mini that will be dedicated to this radio, so I'll be playing with that as soon as I get the radio. Since everything's touch screen these days I really wanted to get a radio that wasn't already 5 years old but brand new. It seems like 90% of ham radios out there haven't been updated for three years or more, and knowing my luck, as soon as I bought something, say like an Icom IC-7300, they'll come out with a newer version two months after I buy mine. I want something that is relatively new and has more life cycle left in it than that. That's when I decided to take a big boy step and move up to a higher class of radio. I looked at the Elecraft K3S, the Flex 6400M, Icom IC-7610, Expert MB1, etc, and decided that for the money, the Flex is the best choice from a features vs price standpoint. I think it's the most logical choice from a outsiders standpoint.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't plan on winning Le Mans on my first outing, and I don't plan on opening up the V12 and maxing out the turbo boost on the first day either. Not trying to be rude, but I know how to drive a stick and stay within my lane of traffic. That being said, what exactly makes this radio so complex that it can't be figured out without a double E degree and 20 years tenure at NASA? Maybe it's just me, but it really doesn't look that difficult to operate compared to an older radio with 100 knobs and buttons on the front. I realize that the buttons and knobs compared to the menus do the same things, but to me, a menu system is a lot less intimidating than all those buttons and knobs. That might have to do with me being in front of computers for the last 30 years and not radios with knobs and buttons.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2019
    It is not difficult as some have alluded to. Dave wo2x
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    That's the feeling that I have as well. From everything I've been reading and watching about the 6400M it doesn't seem to be that hard to figure out. I am a quick learner though, so I absorb things pretty quickly.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I completely agree with the other John. The M models occupy a lot of desk space with mostly empty cabinet space. With the 6400, the radio can be placed anywhere, like close to the antenna entrance like the Garmin LRU or in a closet or under the desk. For me, one of the major advantages is the additional software available. I use FRstack every time I use the radio. The Maestro takes up little desk space, or can be used in another room or on the back deck for easy remote in addition to the wind machine If you start with another radio, there is a lot to “unlearn” when switching to a Flex, like the S meter discussion. So, get your antenna up first, then get your Flex on the air. Why antenna first? Because most are so anxious to get the rig on the air they put up **** antenna in a hurry, then struggle to make contacts. So have your best antenna up b4 the radio arrives. Have fun!
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Yes, it's worth it. And with computer experience you'll have operating the radio down quickly. Now all of the other stuff, like antennas, grounding RFI mitigation, and getting the most out of your Flex  - that will be your learning curve. 
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I have 6' x 2&1/2' of space to use for the radio, the Mac Mini, and the monitor. And yeah, the tower and antenna will be up and ready to go before I even buy a radio. Once I totally decide on a radio, I'll move on to antennas next. I want to make the right decisions first, then jump in with both feet and get going.
    I research big purchases for months before buying them, to avoid getting burned. (Something I've learned from getting burned too much in the past)

And yeah, I think starting with a different radio than the one I plan on using 100% of the time is a bad idea, not only from a financial standpoint, but a learning one as well.
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I would buy the Flex.  You will eventually so, why not now?  My only suggestion is buy the "M" type, with knobs.  That way you avoid the need to always have a PC around when you want to play radio.
    The rumors of Flex being very complicated are over-blown.  It is really just a black box that acts like a traditional analog radio.  The Flex radios do everything analog radios do, except they do it better.
    Jim Charlton  AD0AB  
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    With my aircraft electrical background, I can assure you that it'll probably be way over-engineered to the extreme when it comes to grounds and RF shielding. I've learned a lot from the aircraft industry, and I'm a huge fan of triple redundancy.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited June 2020
    I completely agree, I will eventually, so I might as well get it now. And the "M" type is what I'm really leaning towards, for exactly that reason, no computer required, but can use if I want to.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.