Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Thinking of buying a Flex 6400M

Answers

• Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! From everything I've been reading and watching about the 6400M it doesn't seem like that difficult of a radio to operate. And, it's seems far less complicated than navigating the Yaesu menu system on the FT-DX3000 that I was considering for a while.
  • tmcdonough
    tmcdonough Member
    edited August 2019
    I have had my Flex 6400M for nearly a year and it is a fantastic radio. If you are willing to put in the effort and accept that you will have a lot of questions about operating in general in addition to the Flex specific questions there shouldn't be any problem.

What is your situation with regard to antennas? Do you live somewhere where you are able to put up good HF antennas? Having one of the best transceivers made will not overcome the problems you would face if you are forced by circumstances to use a small inefficient indoor antenna, etc.

• Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited June 2020
    Luckily, I'm not in an HOA, so I'm not limited in my antenna selection. I have a 40' tower that came from my mom's old house that I'll be putting up soon, and plenty of room for it. Just gotta figure out the best antennas to stick on it.
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Eric You will have no problem with the Flex with your background. Get the antenna tuner. The Flex panadapter will allow you to visualize the bands, modes and activity. Your enjoyment will be impacted by your antenna effectiveness, especially with 100 watts. My opinion is the most important item for you is to get on the air and start operating. With current propagation and modest antenna size 40 m and 20 m will be useful. Day and night. As an aside for others that want to start slow, there are a lot of used radios available at a low cost. If a person does buy a used get started radio they may have it a long time as a backup radio. 73 Bill W9JJB
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you decide to go with the Flex then I would suggest you consider the Flex 6400 (non-M) and a Maestro.  The total price is similar but you gain much more utility.  You can also buy in two phases.  Flex 6400 first and run it with a computer or iPad and then add the Maestro later.

In fact you might find for your use it would be better to spend the money on a large screen iPad pro and not a Maestro (or a nicer laptop).  That way you can use the iPad pro or Laptop for other things.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I thought about that, but I really like the all in one aspect of the 6400M. However, having the Maestro would be handy if you're in the middle of talking to someone and had to take a **** break. I do see the advantage there. On another note, buying in two phases might actually be a really good idea. I'll consider that as the more I think of it the more I like the idea. Plus, it'll be a lot easier to hide the 6400 from the kids so they don't play around with it while I'm at work, and hiding the Maestro wouldn't be that hard to do as well. (Or I could just take it with me!) You've really got me thinking this is the way to go now, thanks for the input!
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I completely agree with John's comment above!   Have the Maestro separate will give you the option of using it on your deck or in the living room while your radio sits happily downstairs or in your shack.

I also think that from a pure positioning standpoint having the radio and maestro separate makes organization easier.
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    i really enjoy my 6400(not M). had about 7 months and love it, was a knob guy for a long time, i done the research and decided the 6400 was the way i wanted to go, downloaded the software and installed, when i got Flex, unpacked out of box, put ends on power cable, plugged into network, turned on and started SmartSDR. l literally mad my first contact on 20 meters 5 min after i turned on, download manual and browse thru it before you get radio, set your mic profile to the preloaded default FHM-2 profile and take off, then watch some excellent youtube videos on how to fine tune the setup, you wont regret the choice. best of luck!
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Bill, I totally agree with you. The panadapter is one of the "must haves" on my list of radio features. The ability to visually see a signal that you're not tuned into yet makes the radio far more engaging, imho. And I work 3rd shift, so most of not all of my radio work will be at night to early mornings. I usually go to bed around noon or 1pm. The advantage to that is that it means most of the contacts that I'll want to be making (dx) will be up and around at the times I am.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I've already downloaded the manual and have been reading it all morning. And, I've been watching videos and reading on this forum for the past two weeks, before I decided that this is the way I want to go and registered here and made this post today. I really have to admit that this is the most helpful forum that I've ever come across, even with the warnings of it being over my head. I've been messing with computers for a long time, and I still have my first one, a Commodore 64!
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm starting to agree. I'll have my ticket in October (closest testing date here) and I plan on taking all three tests and getting my Extra. After getting my ticket, I'll be buying a radio right after. Given the position of where my tower will be, having a 6400 and a Maestro will allow me to have approximately 25' less cable to run, and be able to sit in the living room with headphones on and not disturb the wife and kids while they're sleeping. I'm liking this idea a LOT.
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I didn't buy the maestro, but I do use my iPhone with the app from the App Store. Works great that way also, and it's cheap, only 59.00.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Eric, Just a thought. If you post what city you are in maybe there is someone close by that owns a Flex and you can test one out live. Dave wo2x
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Not a problem, I live in the Air Capitol of the world, Wichita, Kansas.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2019
    I have a 6600 and Maestro. It definitely makes operating more “Flexible”. I also use an iPhone and iPad but am a Windows guy. In the shack I run SmartSDR for Windows. In the summer I like going to the park for an hour or two and operating with the Maestro from a picnic table. I also use the. Maestro from my family room when the wife is sleeping in since the shack is next to the master bedroom. You can get aftermarket batteries that will fit the Maestro. I have a Mogix and two Polanfo batteries that allow connection wirelessly as long as you have WiFi coverage. Some public WiFi access points limit bandwidth or use a captive portal to sign on the WiFi network. For the latter I use a cheap travel router and my smartphone to sign on. As far as MAC goes, Dogpark Software has a program available for the Flex. Check out their web site. Also check out MAC Logger DX if you want to look into a MAC based logging program to log your contacts you make. People commented how complex the Flex is. Compared to other SDR radio offerings on the market the Flex is least complicated. Also Flex make operating remote EASY. A ham I helped is 89 and loving his 6400. He calls me from time to time if he has a question but the radio is not as complicated as others have made it out to be. Quite a few of the questions that come up on the community are covered in the manual. No one here tells the person to “go read the manual” but rather you can see helpful responses. Enjoy your new hobby. Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2019
    Contact me offline. I have an idea how you can test drive my radio remotely. wo2x AT arrl DOT net
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    If you want a Flex SDR as your first rig the M models are probably your best bet.  Make no mistake, compared to many of the Plug&Play transceivers out there, there is a more extensive learning curve to a Flex rig, and that learning curve is more pronounced when you're dealing with the non-M models due to external interfacing.  The M models are self-contained so they offer the opportunity to basically just plug it in, use either its internal 8 inch monitor and/or plug in a HDMI monitor, and go.  Then as you become more familiar with the software (SmartSDR), you can venture into PC or iPad control and remote operations.  Although as others have recommended, read the manual.  It will become apparent why very quickly. 

As for the Flex ATU, it works fine as long as your antenna is fairly will matched (3:1 VSWR or less).  But for antennas with a higher SWR, or if you're eventually planning on adding an amplifier, I'd recommend an external Antenna Tuner.  It's nice having both.

One other note.  Many hams have noted that two receiver slices are sufficient, although I've found that once you have a Flex that offers more than 2 receiver slices you begin to find interesting ways of using them.  I owned a Flex 6700 for years and have gotten used to using up to 8 receiver slices.  I wouldn't want to got back to 4 or 2.

Not having previous experience with other brands of transceivers, and being new to amateur radio will no doubt extend your Flex learning curve, but if you stick with it, you'll be richly rewarded.

Good luck.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Be careful icom 7610 read reviews lots of screen problems my son sent his back 3 times to icom Read Eham reviews Joe KL4QG 6400M no internet needed it and easy use than Icom 7300 or 7610. 7400M screen so sharp and clear it’s a real joy use Look at RadioSport Headset with boom mic I have one coming Thursday My hand mic sounds good with DX setting I have phone service here with limited internet I am going have GGI wire house for internet in few weeks I’ll be first with internet in Village image
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I may be getting ahead of what you are thinking of, but I did see you mention the fact that the 6400 has more than one antenna connection somewhere above. Think carefully about why you want two antenna connections. If you simply want to be able to switch from one to another, something that can easily be done with an inexpensive antenna switch, it isn’t much of an advantage. Think of that antenna switch in the 6400 being internal instead of external. You STILL have only one receiver to which those antennas go. The 6400 has one SCU (ADC / Spectral Capture Unit), so you can’t use both antennas at the same time. The 6600 and 6700, on the other hand, have the ability to listen to both antennas at once (whether rcv/tx or rcv only). In my case I have an all-band receive antenna usually on one SCU so I can tune around and listen anywhere while operating with tx on one band. Of course you can also just use two independent single band rcv/tx antennas with these 2-SCU radios. Hope that makes sense - just a brief caution on the two antenna situation and the 6400. It’s the reason why I bought a 6600M. Of course it costs more, and the family will surely compete for the money you have :-)
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    The screen issue with the IC-7610 was enough to make me decide against the Icom. The IC-7300 is a nice little radio, and I seriously considered it, but why buy a Porsche when you can buy a Ferrari for a few dollars more? (At least that's the way I'm looking at it)
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    David, I can do that but I don't have my ticket yet and don't want to get you in any trouble.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2019
    I already planned on that. We can also do a TeamViewer session with me driving the radio. Would be nice for you to get a taste of the radio.

Dave wo2x
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    From what I can tell without actual hands on experience it seems like the Flex is really intuitive and pretty easy to operate. That being said, having never touched one nor seeing one in person I could be totally wrong in that regard. Remote operation isn't as nearly as important to me as having a good, dependable radio that will last for years to come and then some. And having to buy software that costs a tenth or less to basically get a new radio every few years is far more appealing than trying to buy completely new hardware every few years.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited June 2020
    I really did like the integrated aspect of the 6400M over the 6400, and if I really want to I can always buy the Maestro down the road, which may be the way I'll go.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Yes John I know I was just letting Eric know my Flex working fine without internet now-
    Burt I’m in remount Village now training. Eskimos how operate and get their water treatment licenses for their new water treatment plant after one year I’ll be back Sitka AK my home -Putting Flex 6400M in my 59 foot sailboat in Sitka Ak
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Too bad you didn't live closer, that way I could get a hands on perspective instead.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    My thinking of having two antenna connectors was mainly for less clutter in the wiring department in the shack. Of course, I'll have a 2m and 70cm radio as well, I'm still working on that one. Upgrading to the 6600 or 6600M right now is our of the question, the wife will collect my life insurance money before the radio even arrives!
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I know John just letting Eric know Flex6400M works fine without internet Burt I’m training village people here how operate new water system and get licensed by ADEC for year than I’ll be back in Sitka Ak on my 64 foot sailboat Barter Island is an island located on the Arctic coast of the U.S. state of Alaska, east of Arey Island in the Beaufort Sea.[1] It is about four miles (6 km) long and about two miles (3 km) wide at its widest point.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    One of the benefits of the “M” model is the ability to just use CAT / DAX to do digital modes remote from the radio, without bothering to use a GUI interface (I’m still using v2.4.9). In my case the necessary GUI is the M front panel with the radio in the basement, and a MacBook Air or Windows laptop runs the digital programs (in fact I run both sometimes) while I’m upstairs with my wife who is watching TV in the same room. Keeps the peace!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.