Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Thinking of buying a Flex 6400M

I'm getting my ticket soon, and do not have ANY experience with amateur radio at all, and I'm seriously considering the 6400M as my first transceiver. From the research I've been doing the last few months, this seems like the rig for me. I'm wanting something that I won't grow out of after a few years, and something that will last a long time. Any hints, suggestions, ideas for this first timer?

Answers

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Love my 6400M had week
    It’s best HF radio out there
    I have owned yaesu 3000 ,Icom 7300,7610 7700
    The controls and Digital NR ect just let you tune noise
    Out to hear weak signals .
    AGCT /AF combo is your best friend try 35/50 Combo adjust noise to lowest level with AGCT than adjust AF volume to normal hearing range
    Oh NR when I use it not much I keep at lowest settings
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited June 2020
    I'm also thinking of adding the ATU, since that'll be one less thing on the desk. How well does the factory ATU perform, compared to external ones?
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Works very good tunes well -fast -
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the quick reply! I was wondering about that, still researching all my options.
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Well, if your first airplane was an SR71 , you make the right choice here..

Buy it , put on the shelf and play a year with a simple radio that will just let you talk and learn all about ham radio. The Flex signature radios are TOP NOTCH superduper does all in one machines. You can have a lot of fun flying a super cub but you will never ever even take off with a B2 .

• FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Bad idea. This radio is complex. I am sure others would suggest another option to get the feel of amateur radio. You must learn how to swim before you take the high dive!.
     I am not saying you are not smart enough to grasp it, I am saying you will have issues because it is not for the beginner. Get a Yaesu 1200 or something like that to get your feet wet otherwise, you will probably damage the Flex.  Any other weigh ins? Good luck and enjoy radio. Just my suggestion, Please take no offence.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited June 2020
    Funny you mention that, I build jets for a living, and work on avionics.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    From everything I've read and watched on YouTube it seems like a pretty simple radio to operate. And, I have no problem reading the manual before turning it on.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    My friend I disagree with the complex answer like any
    HF there a learning curve
    Plus if you get stuck ask question here on flex forums
    Took me about 45 mins learn basic things I had **** so I not a fast as before
    Why waste money buying cheap start at top and Flex 6400 M at top
    To many people out there today trying belittle people that they are smarter getting worse everyday
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    **** Put Flex 6400M on Shelf for year **** Damage the Flex **** FISHULA ****
    Eric not sure what’s going on here tonight I think we are getting invaded with Area 51 Grays tonight ****
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Eric,

I'd say buy a Flexradio if you say yes to both of the following questions:

1, I'm familiar with Windows and feel comfortable working with PC's.

2, I can read and I will read a lot about my Flexradio. I will be reading the manual and other info I might find when Googling.

No 1, it's a SDR radio and to get the best out of your investment you will need to use a PC and loads of other software. Being comfortable with computers will make your Flexradio life som much more enjoyable.

No 2, I will stick my nose out on this one .. I say that 50% of all questions asked on this community wouldn't have been asked if more Flex users actually read manuals and on this forum before asking.

But be sure, that whatever problem you might have, asking the community will provide you with answers. This community is uniqe and I say you can't find any other radio brand offering anything like it.

To add to that, if you need even more help, Tim and all the others at Flex support are incredibly helpful. 

Good luck with your decision Eric!

73 and regards
    Johan - SE3X 

Ps. the first thing I did when I bought my 6700 almost two years ago was going back to post one on the community. I read during a few days every post up until the latest. The amount of useful knowledge and information I found made the itroduction of the 6700 into my schack so much easier. It's hard to find something that have never been asked before  ;)  The community is a goldmine of info.
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Eric,

if you feel smart enough..go for it. I had all sorts of radios over 45 years now. This includes TS990, 590 K3´s and other big and small boxes. the 6K4 is more fun, performs nearly as good as a K3 or 990 ...  that is sure. But you will have a steep learning curve to understand how the Flex does things, you don´´t even know about there existence yet.Ham radio is more than Click and Shoot. There is antennas, suncycles, grayline, RFI etc. etc. etc.   all the stuff you have to master and think about in your ham radio life.

I don´t work with planes...just used to fly them, but there is not much of thing to compare with these high tech boxes , rather than a complex plane.

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don own at computer and we don’t have internet here I live in Eskimo village in AK But my 6400M working great
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited June 2020
    To answer those questions is have to say yes and yes to both of them. I have both Windows and Mac computers in the house, although I'd have to be honest and say that I'm far more a Mac fan than a Windows fan, I do great with both. Ever worked with Garmin avionics? There's some really fun stuff there, let me tell you. Reminds me of a bipolar woman that can never make up her mind, then suddenly everything's ok.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    My main thinking is that I don't want to waste money on something that I'll grow out of in 6 months to a year and then be right back to shopping for another radio. I'm a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I'm sure you will be a very happy camper if you buy a Flexradio Eric. I have since my 6700 moved in sold off every other HF radio i had. I pretty much know that the 67 will be my last radio and next time it shows up for sale will be at my SK sale .. 

No personal experience with Mac (I'm a UNIX and Windows guy) and related software. But I know from reading here that there are much out there and many happy Mac users on the community.

I think you have ticked the third box now, "the I know MAC as well" box  ;)

Go for it! but buy it with the antennatuner, even if you wouldn't need it. If you decide to sell one day (to buy a 6600 ofcourse ..) it will enhance second-hand value.

GL with your ticket and hope to see you as a Flexradio family member soon  :)

Johan
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Joe,
    I don't say that you need a computer. But from personal experience with my Flexradio for almost two years, I'd say a computer will enhance a superb experience with a great transceiver even more.

Nice though, that you have the choise to either go with or without the computer on the side. Well done Flexradio!

Johan
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the reply Johan! I'm planning on using my Mac Mini in conjunction with whatever radio that I buy, and seeing how well the Flex radios work with Mac OS, as well as Apple iOS, really made the decision for me. Sitting in the parking lot on my lunch break listening to my radio at home on my iPhone just seems like a lot of fun to me, and is a big plus towards my decision.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I have a Mac Mini that will be dedicated to this radio, as well as a nice 32" flat screen tv.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Get an Icom 7300, after a year the 6400M as it is complex.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    What Eskimo village? I lived in one.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Eric,
    Do yourself a favor. 
    This may be WAY ABOVE YOUR HEAD!
    Although, I would prefer you would obtain the Flex radio above all other; but I can see that you are beyond your abilities, if you have to ask here on this forum "if you should" since you already admitted that you "do not have ANY experience with amateur radio at all."
    Take care my friend and keep us posted on your decision.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Eric,
    I still use my old radios mobile as they are much less distracting than SSDR in a mobile environment.
    I started with a 1500 and then a 6500. I have used a friends IC7300, great radio but like flying blind compared to a Flex. I have added an IC9700 to my collection as it is better than anything else on UHF/VHF for years at the price. But it still feels limited. (A Flex direct sampling VHF/UHF SDR would be irresistible)
    So i say don't limit yourself, go for it.
    Andrew de VK5CV
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Eric

I believe you will love your Flex.  Your knowledge on integrating Garmin Avionics puts you at an advanced level to understand the Flex and integrating it with multiple third-party apps.  I too really like the IOS app and its ability to connect remotely.

I have the internal ATU for my 6600.  I find it very effective at tuning my non-resonate, off-center fed, flag pole antenna.

Speaking about the Amateur Radio and Flex learning curves, my experience has been that those are two separate curves with only little inter-connection.  When I began my return to ham radio six months ago, I would consider myself at the very bottom of each curve.  Six months later, I feel confident navigating around the Flex and various third-party apps.  I cannot say the same about where I am on learning "amateur radio".  There are so many aspects and angles to the hobby and I have barely scratched the surface.   Also, do not forget the learning curve for antennas and feedlines.   That is another, separate curve. 

Alan
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Eric The only upward path would be to a dual SCU radio (6600/6600M/6700). At the level of performance you are considering marketplace alternatives are typical peer level offerings in complexity - just they may offer knobs & menus vs software only menus. Two days ago by telephone while I was on a ferry boat out on Lake Michigan I helped a new FlexRadio owner get SmartSDR up and running in about 20 minutes, and he was starting from scratch and going remote right from the start! You’re in a better place with a M-model as things are ready to go from the start. For much of the external software the straightforward operating system presently is Windows, so anticipate the macOS complications. Hams report here at the community they have the setup licked but my attempts have found it not as straightforward. On the flip side the iPad and iPhone iOS versions are very straightforward. With your avionics background that systematic approach to navigating through. modest levels of complexity will serve you well with a Flex-6000. Actually a great advantage is not being conditioned with the limitations of older generations of radios. All my encouragement should be tempered with a confession that I do keep a tranditional radio setup in my shacks, in each case a nice set of Collins S-Line radios. They serve as a counterpoint in a tangible way to the virtualization of a software based radio. I’ve found that I seldom turn on the old style gear, but it is good fun to have them. GL and 73 Steve K9ZW Blog: http://K9ZW.wordpress.com Edit was I had to correct the Apple OS for platforms
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the reply, I'm used to things not playing nice with Mac OS, so that sure won't come as a sudden surprise to me. The radios that i have been considering have all been SDR's, mainly because from what I've been reading it seems that's where the future of ham radio is heading. (Along with everything else in life!) And the reason why I'm wanting an SDR as my first radio is that I'm already very used to computers and touch screens, and I want to get my kids involved in the hobby, they're 4 and 6 right now, and can pretty much do anything on an iPad that my 43 year old **** can do.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Eric: I think you'll be fine as well with the Flex. Just take your time, read and ask questions when you need too. Most importantly don't get frustrated, If you feel your getting frustrated, turn it off and walk away a few. Look through the community for any topics were you feel uncomfortable or may need assistance, many of us will be glad to help! Enjoy your rig and welcome to amateur radio and welcome to the Flex community.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited June 2020
    Garmin is a fun beast, it always comes down to the "did you cycle power?" question when getting errors, and that usually fixes about 90% of the problems we have when programming and doing rigging. Needless to say, it only took me about 3 months to feel fully capable in doing things like setting up the FDR's, which is pretty complicated to a lot of people. I cannot see a Flex radio being that complicated.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    My question is more of an "is it worth it" question.
  • Eric-K0ELB
    Eric-K0ELB Member
    edited August 2019
    I gave the 7300 serious thought, but it doesn't meet all the requirements that I set for myself, #1 being more than one antenna connector. That's when I started looking at the 7610, and seriously considered that, but for the price, the 6400M seems like a far better radio for a lot less money.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.