Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

thinking of buying 6600M

Jamie WW3S
Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
thinking of buying a 6600M, would that allow me to connect to other flex radios via the internet, or would I be better off to buy a 6600 and a Maestro? Is there really a difference? Also, will one 12v supply handle the 6600M in SO2R operation? 

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    There is no way I know of to connect the front panel bolted on the front of the 6600M to another Flex radio, although the radio and front panel appear to each have an IP address.. If you want to be able to run multiple radios from the same "M" display, you would need a Maestro and a 6600. Almost the same cost, and a preference for some. The 6600 has one transmit chain, so one adequate supply will run it.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Make sure, for your own sake, that you have a large enough PS. I will change out my current 30A/25A continous PS soon. You don't want power to go low, might give all sort of problems.

Don't be cheap with your choise of PS!

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    There's a good thread on this at https://community.flexradio.com/flexr... Upshot is, measure the voltage at the radio at full power key down.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Jamie

The smallest power supply you can use is one rated to 25 amps such as the Astron SS-25.  We have them in the store.  This is fine for SO2R operations as you only have 1 transmitter active at one time.

No, you are no able to use an M model to connect to other radios, you will need a 6600 and a Maestro if you would like to use SmartLink with a Maestro type interface.

I hope that helps, 

Mike
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I prefer anf own the 6600 and Maestro. More versatility.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I'd forgott to write that I will change my PS's for even bigger ones. 13.1 V goes down to 12.4 at 100 Watt. Don't like that .. would like my 6700 to have minimum 13.5 at full power.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 2019
    Johan

Measure your voltage at the back of the power supply and at the back of the radio when transmitting.  Make sure you are not getting any voltage drop across the cable.  It takes less than 1 ohm of resistance to drop that much voltage at a 20A draw.   In fact, a 0.7V drop only takes 0.03 of an ohm to drop that much at 20 amps, if my math is right.  :)  

You can easily see that in the fuses on the cables.

Mike 

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Mike and Tnx fer advice! I've done that kind of measurement, watching on-line with SDRmonitor as well. Betwen 6700 and PS about 30cm or 15 inches of original Flex DC cabling. No extra fuses, trust fuses inside radio and protective circuits in my PS.

By the way, only radio on one PS, nothing else. Have 3 of the same kind. LIke redundancy and that they are easily interchangabel, if something would happen. The 2 others are connected to DC distribution boxes for all other 13 V DC stuff.

I will change PS when re-building my schack later this year. These are betwen 4-5 years old and have done what they should. Don't trust and like old gear in my station. Especially nothing as critical as my DC power supplies.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I also like the 6600 + a Maestro separate.  I can move the maestro virtually anywhere.  My 6600 stays put in its nice heated/air conditioned shed.
  • Tom -WA2TP
    Tom -WA2TP Member
    edited February 2020
    Is it not possible to have both a 6600M and use a maestro with it? Seem to have read that you can do that  in the literature - and they offer a "Maestro bundle" with the 6600m today, according to their website. Does that not include a Maestro in addition tot eh already incorporated front panel display? I would think so... I hate answering my own questions ;-)
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited February 2020
    Hi Tom

Yes, you can do that and even do both at the same time on different frequencies.  

The bundle does add the Maestro for an additional $1199.  You can do that now or later if you wish.

Mike

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I have both and they work just fine.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    If you want to connect to other Flex radios over the internet you do not need to buy a Flex radio at all.  You can download SmartSDR from the website, set it up on you PC and get the Smartlink login details from the owners of the other Flex radios (providing they will give it to you).  Login to that Smartlink account and launch SmartSDR and your in business.

If you bought a Maestro you could do the same and not need the PC.

The availability of Flex radios over the internet is at the pleasure of the owner of the radio.  If you have friends that will allow you to connect then your in business once they give you their private Smartlink details.  However, you won't find a website like remotehams.com or websdr.org that has all the Flex radios listed.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Mike I am interested in your statement above(You can do that now or later if you wish.) Would this apply to me with an 6400M purchased new Feb 2018
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited February 2020
    Doug

It would be best if you give us a phone call so we can discuss in more depth.

512-535-4713 option 1

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.