thinking of buying 6600M

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
thinking of buying a 6600M, would that allow me to connect to other flex radios via the internet, or would I be better off to buy a 6600 and a Maestro? Is there really a difference? Also, will one 12v supply handle the 6600M in SO2R operation? 
Photo of Jamie WW3S

Jamie WW3S

• 124 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 533 Posts
  • 194 Reply Likes
There is no way I know of to connect the front panel bolted on the front of the 6600M to another Flex radio, although the radio and front panel appear to each have an IP address.. If you want to be able to run multiple radios from the same "M" display, you would need a Maestro and a 6600. Almost the same cost, and a preference for some.

The 6600 has one transmit chain, so one adequate supply will run it.
(Edited)
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 156 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Make sure, for your own sake, that you have a large enough PS. I will change out my current 30A/25A continous PS soon. You don't want power to go low, might give all sort of problems.

Don't be cheap with your choise of PS!

(Edited)
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 533 Posts
  • 194 Reply Likes
There's a good thread on this at https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...

Upshot is, measure the voltage at the radio at full power key down.
(Edited)
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 156 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
I'd forgott to write that I will change my PS's for even bigger ones. 13.1 V goes down to 12.4 at 100 Watt. Don't like that .. would like my 6700 to have minimum 13.5 at full power.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 865 Posts
  • 251 Reply Likes
Johan

Measure your voltage at the back of the power supply and at the back of the radio when transmitting.  Make sure you are not getting any voltage drop across the cable.  It takes less than 1 ohm of resistance to drop that much voltage at a 20A draw.   In fact, a 0.7V drop only takes 0.03 of an ohm to drop that much at 20 amps, if my math is right.  :)  

You can easily see that in the fuses on the cables.

Mike 
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 156 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Hi Mike and Tnx fer advice! I've done that kind of measurement, watching on-line with SDRmonitor as well. Betwen 6700 and PS about 30cm or 15 inches of original Flex DC cabling. No extra fuses, trust fuses inside radio and protective circuits in my PS.

By the way, only radio on one PS, nothing else. Have 3 of the same kind. LIke redundancy and that they are easily interchangabel, if something would happen. The 2 others are connected to DC distribution boxes for all other 13 V DC stuff.

I will change PS when re-building my schack later this year. These are betwen 4-5 years old and have done what they should. Don't trust and like old gear in my station. Especially nothing as critical as my DC power supplies.

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 865 Posts
  • 251 Reply Likes
Hi Jamie

The smallest power supply you can use is one rated to 25 amps such as the Astron SS-25.  We have them in the store.  This is fine for SO2R operations as you only have 1 transmitter active at one time.

No, you are no able to use an M model to connect to other radios, you will need a 6600 and a Maestro if you would like to use SmartLink with a Maestro type interface.

I hope that helps, 

Mike
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 383 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
I prefer anf own the 6600 and Maestro. More versatility.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1321 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
I also like the 6600 + a Maestro separate.  I can move the maestro virtually anywhere.  My 6600 stays put in its nice heated/air conditioned shed.