Thinking about a 6700 but

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
The notch filter is described as a tracking filter that you manually place on a carrier.  Fine, but, I want one that will just hear the carrier and nuke it as I have had on my radios for decades.  Does the 6700 have this automatic carrier suppression or not?  I read the manual and didn't see it anywhere. 
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 292 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Jim Runge

Jim Runge

• 78 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
yes, it has a ANF which works very well.
Photo of Jim Runge

Jim Runge

• 78 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
yes, it has a ANF which works very well.  It is in the DSP tab.
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 536 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
Two different notch type filters, Auto notch is to follow a carrier like people tuning up on top of you, it is adjustable for your own liking.
The Tunable notch filter is a wonderful filter that you can customise the debth width and lock it to a continuous noise .
Anyway yes it does have what your looking for I think.
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 292 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Thanks
Photo of Justin - KL2D

Justin - KL2D

• 89 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
The thing I like about it best is you can actually SEE the interfering signal and then just draw a filter over it, in addition to the ability to have ANF. Very cool to be able to visualize so much about what the radio is receiving.
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 292 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
OK, the other question I have has to do with the comparison between the 6600M and the 6700.  Can someone explain the difference in the filters?  Its a little confusing when they refer to 3 vs 7 and "contest bands" having 7 and others not.  It LOOKS like the 6600M has better filters????
Thanks
Peter
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 292 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Right, more suppression understand that.  However, it looks like the 6600M has 7th order and the 6700 only 3rd order.  Am I understanding that correctly?
Thanks
Peter
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 507 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
That's correct, and I'm anxiously waiting to see what the actual performance difference is on a youtube video.
Photo of David G4NRT / Z21NRT

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• 229 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
This is a question that has been vexing me ... I have a 6700 + Maestro and I am very happy with them.  Should I be thinking about changing them for a 6600M or a 6600 and keeping the Maestro ... my gut instinct is to stick with what I have ....
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2767 Posts
  • 610 Reply Likes
Your 6700 is still a wow kind of radio, Do you use it for 2 Meters? and the 6600m is meant as a stand alone radio. I don't know were you would benefit from a 6600.
Photo of David G4NRT / Z21NRT

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• 229 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Thanks Bill!  Yes, I do use it for 2m although I wish I could find one of those ThumbDV USB sticks to give me D-Star on 2m as well!  I think that you are right but there is always the temptation to want to get the newest thing!
Photo of WH6HI - Pat

WH6HI - Pat

• 275 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
PowerSDR had a wonderful ANF worked really well. The TNF is wonderful also but is not automatic, requires time to set up, which is the problem if you are working a rare one or in a contest, or just trying to work a station. I like TNF, and you can do wonderful things with it. But I miss the ANF of PowerSDR.
Photo of NX6D Dave

NX6D Dave

• 296 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
I see your point about the documentation of the ANF.  It describes something about how it works, but doesn't actually say what it does.  You could easily miss the point.  I'll fix that up.
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 292 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
How fast do they ship the 6700?
Photo of NX6D Dave

NX6D Dave

• 296 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
I believe they are in stock.
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 292 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I apologize, but I do not see any way to turn on automatic notch filtering.  Can someone show me where that metric is located?  Thanks
Peter
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2767 Posts
  • 610 Reply Likes
If the new style fans are not installed I would still buy one. The fan issue has not effected everyone, and it may never.
Photo of Justin - KL2D

Justin - KL2D

• 89 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
FWIW I had a 6500 for several years and no fan issues, traded it in to Flex for a 6700 and haven’t had any issues with it either.
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 292 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Thanks for the headsup on the fans.  I'll inquire in the morning and then either get that one or a new one and move on.  Thanks for all the help guys and gal I appreciate it.
Peter

Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 292 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Ordered the pre owned 6700 should be here shortly.  
Photo of Jim Runge

Jim Runge

• 78 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Very good. Enjoy.
Photo of NX6D Dave

NX6D Dave

• 296 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
I don't know why no one answered your question about ANF.

In SmartSDR (on the PC), click on the DSP button on the Slice Receiver in question.  You will see a button labeled ANF and a slider to its right.  Click on the button to turn Automatic Notch Filtering on and adjust the slider for the effect you want.

On Maestro, or on the M Series radios, tap on the Slice Receiver frequency to open the Slice Receiver menu.  In the middle of the menu on the right you will see the ANF button and slider.

Automatic Notch Filtering is a "per Slice Receiver" function.  Each SR can have its own setting.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2254 Posts
  • 879 Reply Likes
This is what Dave is talking about