Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

'thin client sweepstakes...'

W5XZ - dan
W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
OLD ibm T-60...BARELY ran PwrSDR...connected my 6500 up to my router with 70' piece of cat5e, connected the laptop by WiFi...even with crummy graphics, worked very nicely !! it's the 'thinnest' client around here, and i'm IMPRESSED, FWIW...73

Comments

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    when I can remote the rig with my Galaxy S3 android device from anywhere, with audio...THAT will be something else !! seems like it's just around the corner !!
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited June 2019
    Thanks, Dan. Thin client is one of the major goals of the software. We've done a number of things to keep the bandwidth on the network channel very low and there are still more things we can do. We look over every feature with a total-network-load lens to make sure they are done correctly. Android has been an issue for many developers because it is not a "build once, run everywhere" platform. There are differences in every Android target and developers have found that it is "build once, port everywhere" instead. There are companies that have sprung up to do nothing but amass a huge number of Android devices so they can test others' software and report on which platforms are problems. This is not an insurmountable problem, but it makes Android development less accessible for us -- we don't really want to buy 100 cell phones and tablets to do the development/porting. I'm sure we will find a way out of the jungle even if it is supporting just a handful of tablets. Samsung would likely be one of the winners if we went this direction because of their market share. Steve
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    thanks, steve. I learn something new nearly every day, when i'm paying attention... So, will a 'windows phone' be one of the first devices that will play? That might influence my decision making when it's time to upgrade my phone... for now, it looks like there IS, finally, an Android version of Chrome Remote Desktop. I'm starting to wonder about Google, though.....( NSA, etc ) and, of course, latency. I just got burned out on Apple..."jail breaking", etc... Dan

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.