Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

The limitations and caveats in SmartSDR v0.12.17

Options
Tim - W4TME
Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
edited June 2020 in
This is a Preview (beta) release of SmartSDR for Windows, which will contain incomplete or unimplemented features. Below is a summery list of the current known issues, caveats and limitations for this version of SmartSDR: 1. Do *not* connect any USB device into the USB ports on the FLEX-6000 2. Any controls on the SmartSDR control panels that are grayed out are currently not implemented 3. Remembering program settings or persistence is limited in scope and all values are returned to their defaults when the radio is rebooted. 4. Transmit is only allowed on ANT-1 5. The antenna switching logic is not complete, so there are a variety of antenna switching actions that may result in anomalous behavior 6. Only transmitting on USB/LSB and CW is supported. Do not transmit on AM 7. Tune Step size is fixed and mode specific. 8. The phone transmit bandwidth is currently fixed from 100-2800 Hz. 9. FM mode has not been implemented. 10. There are confirmed audio distortion products (high frequency aliasing) on the receive audio at frequencies greater than 5 kHz which 11. The audio compressor (COMP) gain is currently fixed and neither the threshold slider or the Compression bar meter are operational 12. DSP signal processing (NR, NB and ANF) have not been optimized 13. DIGU and DIGL have not been fully implemented. Turn off compression and the EQ before using. 14. If using the ACC port for audio, set the audio input to LINE and click the ACC button on. 15. Built-in Iambic CW keying is fixed at the standard 1:3 weighting and Mode B. Straight key mode is available. Memory keyer functions are not yet implemented. 16. CW receive filter bandwidth settings are functional but the filter skirts have not been optimized. 17. SmartSDR will hang if the Ethernet connection to the PC is lost before the client is closed 18. Hardware ALC input for amplifier exciter control is not currently implemented 19. Hardware Remote Power On is not currently implimented 20. TX Relay ports are active, but there is a timing issue if switching quickly, so CW QSK operation with an external power amplifier is not recommended at this time to ensure that you do not hot switch the amplifier. Please set the CW Delay to 300 or greater to mitigate this problem. 21. FLEX-6700 support for 8 spectrum displays/slice receivers and FLEX-6500 support for 4 spectrum displays/slice receivers is not currently implemented. Only 4 and 2 spectrum displays/slice receivers respectively are currently supported 22. The FlexControl only supports the tuning of the Active Slice receiver. None of the multi-function control buttons are currently implemented 23. To use an external 10 MHz clock reference via the back panel input, it must be active when the radio is powered on for the radio to use it. 24. SmartSDR will hang if the Ethernet connection to the PC is lost before the client is closed. 25. If the Ethernet cable is physically removed from the radio after it has rebooted, the network interface will fail to properly reconnect. Reboot the radio with the Ethernet cable connected to resolve this condition.

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    This is a great list and a feature for new users. I know you are going to reference the Satisfaction community in your welcome letter to new recipients bur I would also include some of the individual links to topicsin the FAQ. Great job!
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Great summation and keep us updated.
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Tim, I tried the "Report A Problem" selection but I did not get a confirmation so I'll add it here. Two problems (at least on my 6700 Version 0.12.17 & Win 7) that I did not see on the "Community" need to be added to the list you generated. 1. If you "Double Click" on a Band Button it will freeze the spectrum display, you can still select other functions but the display is dead. It also removes the 6700 from the radio select start screen so you have to reboot to start over. 2. The ATU will not function correctly in CW mode. It cycles quickly and returns with the bypass mode on and "success" in the window but it does not tune the antenna. You will not realize this with a dummy load or perfect antenna (i.e. Step IR). But if you have a none perfect antenna it will give you a high SWR. The work around is to switch to SSB mode, tune the antenna, then go back to CW. These 2 problems will repeat every time on my radio and the double click is a real gotcha to me because I have been double clicking for as long as I remember. Thanks. Al N4AB
  • Steve Haynes
    Steve Haynes Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is MUCH better and will be a GREAT Reference for new users.. Good Job Flex! Steve w4arf
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: Double clicking on the band button crashes the radio
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: I like using the new community
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have noticed while using Line and ACC enabled, if I mute the receiver or drop the volume down to zero from the speaker control located in the upper right hand corner of the SmartSDR I lose output from the line in ACC. I thought this was a fixed output that should not be affected by the volume setting.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That ACC connector IO levels are not fixed.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Out of curiosity, wouldn't it make more sense to be fixed as we see on other radios?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It should be a selectable option... fixed, or synced to speaker level.
This discussion has been closed.