Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

The question is always asked why would anyone want an sdr with knobs.

2»

Answers

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Just need a little Voice command and some Ai and all set now. :)
  • Michael Wheatley
    Michael Wheatley Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I've got a touchscreen on Windows 10.  It's cool with SmartSDR.
  • Michael Wheatley
    edited May 2018
    I like the Flex control.  I'm proficient with a mouse, but for fine tuning you can't beat the flex control.   Well worth the money and the wait.
  • Michael Wheatley
    edited May 2018
    Buy a 40" Samsung UHF TV for about $350.  The 3840x2160 resolution will **** your mind.  (but you need a decent graphics card to drive that resolution.  I use a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050).
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    My personal preference is knobs for radios in the vehicle. That way I can operate by brail. At home I find a small screen with knobs to restrictive. At that end of the day, it does not have to be one way or the other. Both are good ways to operate a radio. Much better than Cortana or Siri.
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    For me personally, I purchased a 6400M because it has knobs. I wanted, and waited, for a high technology SDR radio to come onto the market that I can use and enjoy without having it tethered to a computer.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    After nearly 3 years with my 6700 it has become second nature to tune via my trackball.  I occasionally use my Maestro or Flex Knob but those are starting to feel a bit cumbersome to me now.  It's nice Flex offers the best of both worlds.
  • K4ELO
    K4ELO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ria - if you have arthritis in your hands knobs are a lot easier to use than a mouse.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    Stephen Hawkins NG0G Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Chasing DX over the years and getting into pileups with the DX station in my left ear, and the pileup in my right ear, with the transmitter following my right ear.   Cells in my brain have grown a powerful biologic assembly language subroutine that allows very fast communication between my right hand on the "VFO" knob and my right ear listening for the person who the DX station is currently working. Over the years there have been additions to the small subroutine.
    -Are they moving every time?
    -If they are moving, how much?
    -Do they move to the top of the pileup then turn around and start back down?
    and other subtle changes.
    This nearly hard wired collection of neurons and synapsis has proven it's value over and over.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  8-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.