Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

The Correct PowerSDR version for the 5000A?

Mike Golden
Mike Golden Member
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Ready to fire up my "used" 5000A (guy never used it).  Looking for the sofware to run it.  I found "PowerSDR_mRX_PS_v3.3.9.0_setup.msi".  Go with that?  Something else?

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Did you check FRS web PowerSDR section -> Installer ?
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Here's a link for you: http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/powersdr_v2-7-2_installer-exe/ Wow... I can't imagine having a Flex 5000 that you never used. It would be like buying a Picaso and never hanging it on the wall.
  • Mike Golden
    Mike Golden Member
    edited February 2017
    So 2.7.2 is the last compatible version?  ....or at least the one I need to start with

• Mike Golden
    Mike Golden Member
    edited February 2017
    He couldn't find a place to plug in his PC (Firewire) so it sat on a shelf in his shack
  • Mike Golden
    Mike Golden Member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks to all
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Yes, that's the newest one I could see on the site. I am a 6300 user - sold my trusty 5000 years ago. It's probably the easiest radio in the world to upgrade - look over the instructions on when to turn on the radio and follow the prompts.

You're in for a ton of excitement.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    You must install the FlexRadio PowerSDR v2.7.2 in order to get the correct and updated drivers installed.  After you have that installed and working, then you can run any of the other version like the ones by KE9NS
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have a good Firewire card with the TI chipset if you need one.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    FYI I recently found through a friends experiencing with his 5000 that not all computers like the firewire TI chipset card. It would not work in his computer but he was able to get another manufacturer to work just fine. SO I guess it's an example of 1 size doesn't fit all. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2017
    The issue isn't necessarily the chipset.  It is primarily due to the engineering (or the lack thereof) of the card the chipset is installed on.  Some of the connectivity issues are due to improper bus timings too.  Auto overclocked PCs (the norm these days) can effect PCIe bus timings that result in data errors between the PC and the Firewire card.  The card can be recognized by Windows just fine, but when you start streaming isochronous data through it, things fall apart.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Tnx for clarification from a real engineer Tim :) I just knew it didn't work.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Member
    edited February 2017

You need to make sure the firewire card is 400mhz version not 800mhz, should this be relevant to your situation. I think it was called a series 1 but can't check mine as I'm on hols. Go here http://ke9ns.com/flexpage.html for latest software from Darrin as Tim suggests. v2.8.0 is the latest base with regular updates.

73 Geoff.

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The card I used was recommended by Flex with the TI chipset. It worked just fine. Just trying to help.
  • Mike Golden
    Mike Golden Member
    edited February 2017
    Flex support recommended to me the VIA chipset about 2 weeks ago.  No mention of 400 vs 800.  I have a 400 VIA....will report on performance.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2017
    The 5000 is a Firewire400 device.  Either a Firewire400 or a Firewire800 host bus adapter (card) will do.
  • Don K2PMC
    Don K2PMC Member
    edited February 2017
    Lookup Darrin, KE9NS on QRZ. He has a link to his latest release of PowerSDR. It makes SmartSDR look not so smart.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.