Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

testing fan flex6300

Dave
Dave Member
edited November 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Fan stopped working in Flex6300
How do I go about testing if it the Fan or the temp sensing

Answers

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Hi David,
    Here is a link with some information about the fans.  The 6300 has 3 fans, and one if them is the "case fan."  If that is the one you are referring to it should run anytime the radio is powered up.   Either on low or fast depending on the temperature.   

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_

Let us know what you hear on testing and I'll add it to my notes.

You may also be interested in this nice utility by Ray / K9DUR that will display the temperature and voltage.  

http://k9dur.info/smartsdr_utilities.html

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.11.12
    Win10

• Dave
    Dave Member
    edited November 2017
    Many thanks Al,

It is the big Fan, I disconnected teh Fan and tested it with an external supply. The Fan does run so I am not sure how the temp sensing/switching works, as that seems to be the problem. I will look at the links that you have sent. Oh, that utility looks great, I will install that

Many thanks for the info, kind regards, Dave
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited November 2017
    I wonder if it is just the sensing in the Fan that is not working, I hope that is the case, as a replacement Fan will resolve the problem. If not then the problem will clearly be more complex to resolve :)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    There is a temperature sensor on the PA board that is used to drive the fan speed controller.
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited November 2017
    Thanks Tim, all working okay, been testing on and off and radio is not shutting down
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited November 2017
    Hey Al, seems to be all sorted. Been testing the Fan with that software you suggested. The fan speeds-up at 70C and when back in RX slows down at 55C. So not sure what the issue was last Sunday when the radio shutdown
    The Temp Monitor is awesome, thanks for the heads-up on that one

Kind regards, Dave
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Dave, Glad it is working again, sounds like the cause is still unclear. On the 6500 & 6700 when one on the smaller fans has a problem, there is an error displayed on the front panel and then the radio shuts down. On the 6300, since it doesn’t have a front panel the radio shuts down without any error . If you continue to have shutdowns it could be from one of the smaller fans. Keep us posted, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Tom--W4FAS
    Tom--W4FAS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Al, Will the k9dur SWR Monitor Ap. work with SmartSDR iOS? Tom, w4fas
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    Windows apps do not run on iOS
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Hi Tom,
    The SWR monitor app is a windows app.  From the doc:

The computer used must meet the following minimum requirements:  Operating System -- Windows XP (sp3.51), Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8  Minimum Available Disk Space -- 2 Mb SWRPlotter6k is a 32-bit application. Therefore, it will run on systems with either a 32-bit or a 64-bit processor.

Someone here familiar with SmartSDR iOS can probably provide better feedback on the options to run it there.

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.11.12
    Win10

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

No it will not run under iOS

HOWEVER

if your Radio is connected to a PC, then you can run it on the PC and remotely connect with you iOS device to the PC to see what is happening..

I actually monitor temperature on my radio and SPE 2KFA amp via DDUTIL running on a local PC that I can view remotely via Parallels Access on my iPad.

• Dave
    Dave Member
    edited November 2017
    Hi Al,

When I connected the Flex up with the cover off, I checked all the fans, they are running fine. I tested the radio (key down) to checked at what Temp the 80mm fan speeds up, that is at 70C, and when back in RX it slows down at 55C. I tested it a number of times, so all good for now
    I have placed a small fan outside the radio (on the side) and that really keeps the radio much cooler
    Once again, thanks so much for assistance, as mentioned that Temp Monitor is quite comforting, as I can now see exactly what is "cookin" or not "cookin" so to speak :)

Kind regards, Dave ZS6AVM - from darkest Africa :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.