Tennadyne T-11 on the way! any advice on using with the 6500?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I just pulled the trigger and ordered a T-11 this morning. It should arrive in a couple of weeks. Now I am looking for tower, rotor, and all the trimmings.

Any advice from other 6000 owners about interfacing, use, strategy etc.?

I am as excited as can be. I haven't had a beam antenna on HF since 1981, and that was a TA-33Jr.!
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Scott AC8DE

Scott AC8DE

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
No real advice that you don't already probably know. There is nothing specific to a 6500 or any other radio for a log periodic or any beam antenna.

Interesting that you bought the antenna BEFORE the tower. A bit "cart-before-the-horse". Let the spending begin! And since you are Indiana, it's a really tough time of the year to plant a tower. But you know that already.

Scott AC8DE
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3969 Posts
  • 1225 Reply Likes
JFK said that when he was a boy and he and his friends were feeling mischievous and wondered what was on the other side of someone's wall, they would throw one of the boy's hats over the wall so that someone would have to climb over and see what was on the other side.

So I bought my T-11 first in order to motivate me to find the tower and other goodies!

I have a line on some Rohn 45G but the price is a little high. If I can dicker down to what I can afford, then I will be in good shape.

See ya,

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Jim Bryce W5HFS

Jim Bryce W5HFS

• 157 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I'm using a Tennadyne T-6 with a FlexRadio 6700. I feed the antenna with LMR-400 and use the "Collins Choke" Tennadyne supplies. It works beautifully. The ATU in the 6700 quickly matches the antenna on 20 - 10 and even on 6. I turn the T-6 with a Yaesu 800 DXA. The antenna is mounted on a 10 foot mast into the rotator in the middle of an 8 foot quadrabod on the roof of my one story house. The antenna is only about 30 feet above ground level, but it performs very well and is quite directional. I am able to fold it over and work on it while standing on the roof. There is a an extensive Tennadyne interest group discussion of how to feed the antenna with suggestions of various balun/whatever configurations and whether or not to strap the feedline to the bottom boom as Tennadyne recommends. I've tried most of the alternatives. None work as well as following exactly the Tennadyne recommendations. I've just received the Tennadyne folded dipole that is 90 feet long and according to their specifications will load with 2:1 or less SWR from 10 - 160. I'm excited about using this antenna on 160 - 30. I hung the center of the antenna with an offset made out of an old wraparound backpack frame to my quadrapod last night and hope to have it up and running this weekend..
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 594 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
I use the M2 rotor with controller RC2800PX. Built like a battle ship.

Dennis, k0eoo
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1706 Posts
  • 580 Reply Likes
Ken,
If you are looking at a Crankup / Tiltover type tower for easy maintenance, you might be interested in this resource. Over 350 members and a lot of good reference material.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Cr...

Have fun with the tower and antenna project.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Thanks, Al. I just put an offer on 85 feet of Rohn 45G and the guy accepted.
Now I have to arrange transportation (i.e. rent a trailer and go get it) 4 1/2 hours away from my location.

I plan to use about 45-50 feet of it and sell the rest to recoup my costs!
I don't think I want to go up any higher than that without lots of guys.
I will be putting a home built Hazer lift on it. I have a friend who built his own and it is nicer than the real thing! He is going to build me one.

Now all I need is a rotor, control cable and some more coax!
Photo of AE0MW

AE0MW

• 103 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Ken, if you're friend is at all interested in talking with me I'd love to discuss a Rohn 45 hazer with him.

I have several sections of 45 under my back deck that I've been unwilling to put up because it's too hard to find climbers anymore. I don't really want a lightweight crank up/tilt over tower because I live in Iowa and just like you we have some brutal winters.

My callsign at arrl.net will redirect to my email address.

-Mike
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
The Hazer idea was scrapped, and I don't think he wants to build any more. It was going to be too expensive and too much hassle. I will pass you info on to him if he is interested.
Photo of AE0MW

AE0MW

• 103 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Allright, thanks for the followup Ken!

Good luck with the T-11, my friend has a T-10 and absolutely loves it. Once I can find a solution for my HF tower issue it's going to be a tough choice of antenna for me.

-Mike
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
update:
I just started assembling the T-11 this evening. So far I have gotten all of the aluminum out of the box and sorted it. Wow! There is a lot of aluminum in that package!

I have also separated all of the hardware, nuts, bolts, washers, etc, into a fishing tackle divided plastic box. I have read the directions about six times and planned my assembly strategy.

Tomorrow I start putting it all together.
I hope to get the last sections of the tower up and the antenna mounted within the next week or two!

I hope the weather holds...and my back, too!

Ken - NM9P

Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Keep the pics coming, Ken. I'm a junkie for antenna assembly pictures. 
Photo of Dan -- KC4GO

Dan -- KC4GO

• 339 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
So Ken once it's built how do you get it out of the bedroom? :) like a boat in the basement... Good luck and take your time.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
As an old antenna builder make sure you use NALOX anti seize on all AL parts that join together and anti-seize on all threaded bolts. These simple precautions will save you future grief when you inevitably Ned to remove or dissemble the antenna
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
I have a new bottle of Penetrox A ready to go. All fasteners have Nylock nuts. This antenna is engineered well. Going to be fun, if my back holds out. Unfortunately there is rain in the forecast for today. I will build the individual boom segments with first element sections in the garage, then move them outside for boom assembly and element built-out if the weather holds.....but first project is to remeasure element pieces and mark them for proper order of assembly.
Photo of Travis Best

Travis Best

• 27 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Actually I would recommend Jet-Lube SS-30 Pure Copper Anti-Seize the Penetrox will dry out and the Jet-Lube stays good in the joint for forever 
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 891 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
Nice to see what you have got in your bed, Ken ;-)
I'm only jealous! Worked VK3 with my frame antenna on balcony (!) just now, though!
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3969 Posts
  • 1225 Reply Likes
Initial unpack and sort was done on the spare guest bed. I didn't have a workbench large enough in the garage! I will get my exercise carrying everything out to the garage as I build each section of the double boom...
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1273 Posts
  • 655 Reply Likes

Congrats - have had a T8 with a T28 stacked above.  Works excellent at my station, been low maintenance and withstood some serious weather without issues.

Even heavy icing has been withstood:

(Article with more icing pictures:  https://k9zw.wordpress.com/2010/12/12/hello-winter-ice-snow-at-the-k9zw-qth/ )

Been a very good investment!

Steve

K9ZW

BLOG http://k9zw.wordpress.com/ 

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Looks interesting. I thought about a T11/T28 combo, too. I decided to go with the T11 and a crossed 10x10 beam for 2 meters. It was only $200 and will give me ten elements each for Vertical and Horizontal with separate feed lines. It will be nice to have both.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
I don't have a T-11 or even T-7. I bought a ruggedized M2 17-30LP7. I did have some issues with unmachined parts and slightly bent sections. It is up about 57' on a 55' TX-455. The problem with the tower is it won't take anything bigger than a HAM-IV rotor, which didn't last a year, maybe 6-7 months. Since I haven't gotten anybody to take it down (go up and get it) it is still there pointing towards the south pacific. There are worse places it could be stuck pointing. Needless to say, I don't do well into Europe or the Middle East. As the tower is a tilt over I do have Al's most excellent TiltPlate. However, as it is pointing 278 degrees and needs to be pointing  200 degrees for the plate to work I can not retract and tilt the tower over. What I need is for someone to go up there, loosen the mast to rotor U bolts and turn the antenna to 200 degrees so I can lower it. The replacement Ham V (Ham IV rotor and DCU-1) has been ordered but apparently back ordered, perhaps because the POS is subject to burning out the solenoid.

My understanding is M2 bought the rights for the Teledyne antennas and offers then in a ruggedized model as well as std models. It is totally impervious to ice now and is virtually flat on 17,15,12, and 10.

The issue with the tower is if I retract it to 23' the rotor will be inside the two outer sections of tower so it isn't clear if good access to the U-bolts is achievable. I believe, if I retract the tower to the point just as the rotor bell starts to drop inside the middle section of tower the height will be about 30'.  If someone is going to try to torque the antenna 78 degrees it is likely better to be doing it at 30' rather than 55'.  Does anybody know a tower guy in the north east? Don't mean to appear highjacking Ken's thread, so you can respond to me at my call at arrl dot net.

The antenna is great and if the tower would have supported the wind load and weight, I would have tried for T-11 or M2 equiv.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1273 Posts
  • 655 Reply Likes

Was unaware Tennadyne and M2 were working together.  The mechanics of the two products are very different, but perhaps electrically they share heritage?

The only safe way to deal with a dead rotor on a crank-up/tip-over tower is from a lift.  Some folks will climb after very extensive cribbing, but usually you need the lift to crib the upper sections so why even consider an unsafe climb.

I've been near a crank-up when a cable let go, and it is not pretty - https://k9zw.wordpress.com/2007/11/04/crank-up-tower-safety/ - and personally would never ask a climber to scale one of these towers. 

Back to LPDA - they seem particularly well suited to the wide bandwidth sampling of the Flex-6x00 radios and hope you get your rotor back alive soon!

Steve

K9ZW

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Trick on Renting Lifts

Rent it for Friday Afternoon delivery

Call for pickup Saturday after 3 pm

They normally do not pick up to Monday AM

So for the price of one day rental you get Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday

Best deal ever.

Been doing lift rentals that way for years.

Plus a heck of a lot safer than anyone climbing towers

Well worth the money and a lot less expensive than hospital bills or funeral costs.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve, I am not convinced they are working together. I've had a couple of people tell me it was a Teledyne, looks like, sounds like it, except it is ruggedized. It will laugh at ice, and in the NE, we do get ice. One winter my old KT34XA looked like a shiney upside down U from an ice storm.

Just got notification the new rotor shipped.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
I am not going to climb it, I wouldn't pay anyone to 'climb' it. I will, however, pay someone to show up with a scissor lift or tree trimming truck and go up in bucket.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Friday, 6/5/2015 @ 2:00 p.m.
6 of 8 boom sections and 12 of 22 element bases mounted. That is over half the element bases.

Lunch break, now. Then to finish the last boom section with 5 pairs of element bases. Then put the boom sections together and build out the elements.

Glad it isn't too hot in the front yard under the tree!
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 335 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Nice grass
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 403 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
Ken, I am confused. Your initial posting was created 2 years ago! Did it take that long to get it from the manufacturer or do you just procrastinate as intensely as I do? Good luck with your antenna .. can't wait to hear how it performs. -dan W7NGA
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3969 Posts
  • 1225 Reply Likes
Actually got the antenna within a few weeks, but it was in November and the Indiana winter hit hard. Then it was May until I could get the tower base poured (delayed by winter and board of zoning appeals) then I had a stay in the ER with chest pains, and then delays of various sorts, scheduling with my tower helper/builder, another winter, redesign of the plan (eliminating the Hazer and deciding to go with a shorter, self supporting tower) and work snags...

It has been just about a year since pouring the tower base, and now my building schedule allows full speed ahead!

It has been a long and tortuous journey into antenna land!

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 315 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Words can not describe what the band will sound like with the T-11 vs your wire antennas.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
I don't know that the gain will be any different than on the T-7 but you will have 20M. I say that only by way of agreeing with Charles, Ken, it will blow your mind. For an LP, it is an OUTSTANDING antenna. Then there is the whole benefit of, it turns too.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3969 Posts
  • 1225 Reply Likes
Charles, That is what I keep hearing. Even though I will only have the T-11 up at 38 ft. (The original plan was fo 38 ft. But we scrapped the home built Hazer in favor of simplicity.)

Walt, the gain is said to be 5.8 dBd, which is a little bit better than the T-6 or 7, but not earth shattering. But it is consistent across 20-6 meters.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
Buy a rotor that DDUTIL or DXLab can turn for you

Congrats!

73  W9OY
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1272 Posts
  • 655 Reply Likes
Thinking the 4o3a controller will be very Maestro friendly....

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3969 Posts
  • 1225 Reply Likes
I already have a Yaesu G800DXA rotor. I will obtain a computer interface for it later.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Got all the boom sections done and assembled before it got too dark to continue. Need to mate the booms together and build out the elements tomorrow.

Have one snag... One of the spacing brackets does not match the holes in the boom. They are off by about 1/16 inch. Need to re-drill the boom tomorrow to be able to mate the halves together. Shouldn't take long tomorrow to do that and finish build out. Then to finish the tower raising and get the T-11 up in the air. That may be next week, bit I wanted to get the antennas built this weekend.

No pictures, it was too dark when I finished.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
Assuming, for the moment the M2 17-30LP7 is really the Tennadyne T7, one issue I faced when assuming the holes were mis-drilled is I had the piece backwards. One thing the folks at M2 told me is that all the drilling was computer controlled. Consequently, none of the holes were misdrilled. Double check, I found it an incredibly easy mistake to make especially when I started getting tired and all the aluminium started looking identical.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
I found that to be true a few times regarding the boom-to-element mounting holes. On some of them the bolt wouldn't go through until I twisted the element 180 degrees. There was a slight variance in the angle of the screw holes.

In the snag I found, the boom spacer is a pair of plates with four holes drilled in a square - two holes for each of the two booms. I couldn't seem to match the holes up on the boom no matter how I adjusted the plates. The holes in the booms seemed to be just a little too far apart...almost there, but not quite. I couldn't get both screws in the holes at the same time. But it was getting dark and hard to see, so I quit for the night. I will hit it again later this morning when the light is better.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
I looked at it again, and no matter how I arrange the plates the boom holes are about one-half a hole diameter too far apart. I can start the screws, but the hole misalignment makes them go in crooked and the plate cannot move up flush with the boom, and the screws won't come out the other side.

I am sending an email to Roger at Tennadyne, but I may just need to drill the holes in the little plate to the next larger size to give me a little more room for them to match. Seems better and easier than wallowing out the holes in the boom.

On another front, the guys came to cut down the tree in the front yard this morning, so no shade to work under! ( the tree had been hit by lightning a couple of times and showed signs that it was beginning to die. The church trustees decided several months ago to remove it before it became a hazard to the house or people. But the timing was unfortunate!)
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
That is a tad unnerving. Maybe M2 does do their own 7 ele LP and 11 and 12 ele lps.
I just checked on their instructions for the 11 ele one, it has a round boom, yours looks to be square. But if things are not machined correctly that is not good. I am sure you don't want to wait till Monday but before you start drilling, you could check with them.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Yes, it is a parallel, square boom. It is engineered very well, as far as I have seen, except for the spacer plate. Otherwise it seems to be real solid. Only the initial stubs for each element are non standard lengths. After that, each element or element section is either 2, 3, 4 or 6 feet in length. The element build-out won't take long once I get the booms finished. The boom to mast plate seems to be really solid, and the "slip-Nott" looks like it will be very helpful.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
As an old antenna builder I would second Walts comments. Invariably when holes do noyt align we either had them upside down, 180 degrees rotated or were using the WRONG part.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Update 6/7/2015
I got the boom halves mated to one another and the boom to mast plate installed. Everything except the four bolt boom spacer fit perfectly.

I have posted pics of Friday night's work and this afternoon's work. All that is needed is to fix the last boom spacer plate issue, tighten all the spacers, and then build out the elements. The element build-out won't take all that long, they are all standard lengths...Plug & chug! as we used to say in Physics/Calculus classes in college.

Booms ready to invert and assemble.

Aluminum foil plumbing tape sealing the holes in the boom. I hope it doesn't come loose and short the boom sections!

Booms inverted and ready to start attaching the spacers. The double boom serves as a transmission line. The element halves are attached to opposite booms, giving the phase shift for the log periodic feed. No need for cross-crossed feeder wires.

The boom all assembled (except for the one spacer plate issue).

The infamous spacer plate!
You can see the mis-matched holes. No matter how I rotate it or flip it, none of the holes match up. The holes on the two plates are a perfect square and the screws always match each other. But the holes in the boom are half a hole diameter too wide. It is the only spacer with four holes. All the others are singles and had no problem. I am waiting for contact from Tennadyne.

Hopefully I can resolve this and build out the elements on Monday.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1273 Posts
  • 655 Reply Likes
What is the foil tape for?

All things given, if everything else measured correctly I'd adjust the plates (I'd leave the boom as is iff possible, even though they are a softer easier to work metal). 

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
The tape is to seal all of the holes in the boom sections to keep insects out. The element stubs mount through the boom, and have a screw that goes through a large hole in one side of the boom, seats on the element, and goes through the other side of the boom and is tightened with a Nylock nut. Solid construction, but the holes need sealed after the antenna is assembled to prevent insects, and hopefully seal against water buildup.

I will also be plugging the boom side of the elements to prevent "organ piping" whenever the wind blows. The ends of elements will get foam rubber ear plugs to keep out insects and prevent organ piping.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1273 Posts
  • 655 Reply Likes
If an issue, I would have selected a non-conductive UV stable caulk sealant, as not all Aluminum Tape is created equal.

Scotch Brand (typically #3311) usually dies outside, but if you used 3M's 438 or 425 Aluminum Tapes you have a good chance of having it perform for many seasons.

Again I'd gone non-conductive caulk, perhaps something like Sikaflex 291.

I left mine open and no issues here, but then it is Wisconsin.

Steve
K9ZW
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Yeah, I hope this wasn't a mistake. I originally had the idea of using aluminum tape on the element stub ends at the boom. I wanted it to blend in. Then I saw how smooth the inside faces of the boom would be with the aluminum foil tape and decide to use it. I cleaned the surfaces with alcohol sterlizing pads ( I have lots of them for my blood sugar testing) then dried them with paper towel. After applying the tape, I rubbed it down with a socket in order to get all the air pockets out and stick it down well.

The instructions called for "good quality electrical tape." I hope it sticks.

Ken - NM9P
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Update - June 17
On Monday I almost finished the antenna.
Finished built out of elements, except for one 6 ft. tip that would have hit my son's swing set/playhouse. Will put that on after turning the antenna.
Antenna pieces took a little longer because I needed to polish the ends of the elements to remove a little oxidation from sitting around waiting for assembly. BTW..Scotchbrite green pads work wonders!
I coated the ends of all pieces that telescoped into larger pieces with about 3 or 4 inch coating of Penetrox. Covered all the screws, too.

Need to re drill the spacer plates and install them, align spacing and tighten all the spacers, install shorting stub at rear, coax feed/Collins choke, and plug all the element ends. Then I am ready to go up. Unfortunately the weather and my work schedule have not cooperated. I also will be making a trip out of town for a while, so this monstrosity might have to sit on sawhorses for a week or two before it goes up. There is always something!

I have waited this long. A little longer won't kill me!

Sorry for bad pictures. The leather case on my iPad slipped and partially covered the lens.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 335 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Curious what you found out about the hole alignment issue?
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
He was going  to send me new plates, but they haven't arrived, yet.  i will probably just file two of the holes a little longer and use what I have.  Their main function is to keep the two booms at an even spacing.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Update June 18:
Got the A148-20t 2 meter antenna finished today.
10 elements vertical, 10 elements horizontal.
This will go on top of the T11 at about 45 ft.
The T-11 will be at about 38 ft.

Thanks to Jerry, KC9ZAR, for building the top plate for the tower and installing the rotor and thrust bearing.

Couldn't get much finished on the T-11 due to weather and work.
Taking the day off tomorrow to see if I can get it finished.
Slow, but making progress. And I am encouraged.

Hope the weather cooperates.

Ken -NM9P

Can't get a very good picture of it inside the garage.

Photo of Paul Christensen, W9AC

Paul Christensen, W9AC, Elmer

• 318 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Ken,

Joining the discussion a bit late as I've been traveling through EU for the last two weeks...

Before mounting the T-11, make absolutely sure you measure the length of each element from the boom to the tip of each element.  Regardless of how close it looks, confirm the data with Roger at Tennadyne.  Do not assume each element is the correct length just because it looks right. 

On my T-14HD, the total element lengths were missing on the supplied documentation.  Yes, each element segment length is described in great detail but what's needed is a final validation to a fraction of an inch of each element length.  On my T-14HD, some element tubing segments are within a half-inch of each other and can easily be mixed up during construction.  

After construction, you can lift one end of the rear shorting bar.  Measure DC resistance between the two booms.  It's should read open with a DVM or VOM.  Reconnect the shorting bar.  In our T-14 instructions, the step to install the shorting bar was completely missing. 

The T-14HD went together with no re-drilling needed.  I was very much impressed with the mating accuracy between segments.  There was no slop whatsoever.  Noalox was used as an anti-seize compound.

Arguably, the Collins choke should be augmented with a second RF choke at the BMI connection to better isolate common mode current.  See W8JI's assessment; he describes this in detail.  We have not added the second choke but may try it when the WX cools in the fall.

http://www.w8ji.com/baluns_on_log_perodic_antennas.htm

Finally, when mounted at the top of the tower, try and immediately conduct a sweep of the T-11 with a CIA or VNA device -- especially while the tower and ground crew is still there.  Try and avoid simple SWR devices as they do not present the complete story. 

The sweep will show periodic changes in SWR, possibly along with some surprises like the attached image below.  What's shown is a complex Z and SWR sweep of my T-14HD from 30m through 10m.  The shaded gray bars show the amateur bands.  Note the extremely sharp SWR spike just above 17m.  I have several theories based on input from Roger, W8IO and L.B. Cebik's material.  W8IO is a commercial LPDA designer.  In actual practice, it's not a concern and is not affecting gain nor F/B performance. 

(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Update June 18

Finally got everything done on the T-11.
Spacer plates drilled out and installed.
All boom spacers realigned and tightened.
boom to mast plate reinstalled and tightened.
Element ends and stubs plugged or taped.
Collins choke/feed line installed.
Rear shorting stub installed.

Had to run to Fastenall to get another bolt because I twisted one off on the spacer install.
Only broke two small bolts, and lost two nuts and one 1/4 inch socket in the grass. Not too bad for this complex assembly!

Rain threatened all day. Looks like it will finally get here.

Ken - NM9P

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
That is exciting Ken, so remind us, what is it replacing and how high is it going? If it is replacing a dipole at 15', you are in for a treat.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
It is going up at 38 ft. with the two meter antenna 7 ft. above it.

My current antennas are:
1) a 160 Meter offset fed dipole with the feed point at 38 ft. and the ends drooping to various heights...short leg at 18 ft. long leg makes two bends and varies ...8 ft. 24 ft. And 18 ft on the corners.
2) a 33 ft. elevated vertical with four sets of elevated radials at 8 ft.
3) a 6 Meter squalo on top of the hoist at about 25 ft.

Yes, this will be a great improvement. I wish it was going to be higher, but will be very functional.

Ken - NM9P
(Edited)
Photo of Bill N5TU

Bill N5TU

• 49 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
You should see a huge difference!  Now, it's time to get my towers in place and my SteppIR installed!  :-)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
I have a tower! Who Hoo! The T11 is up at 38 ft. It is connected "temporarily" in the shack until I finish routing cables more permanently, etc. on paths to Europe and the Middle East on 17/20 it seems to average about 2 S-units above my dipole and verticals. I haven't had path openings to other directions yet.

But here were several stations in Oman and U.A.E. that were Q5 copy that were unreadable on the other antennas!

This is going to be fun....

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and support!

Ken - NM9P

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
35 ft. of Rohn 45G, self supporting with 5x5x5.5 ft of concrete at the base.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Here is my SWR plot...not bad, except for 12 meters.  The boom resonance SWR spike is too close to the band.  I need to shorten the shorting stub on the rear.  There was not a good way to test this on the ground, (they say it always changes when you get it up in the air.)

Since we used a crane and climber instead of a bucket truck, I couldn't test it in the air and have them adjust it.  Perhaps I can get a man lift cheap and adjust it later.  Right now I am enjoying playing with it...at least I will when the thunderstorms pass through!  ugh!.

Ken - NM9P
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2768 Posts
  • 610 Reply Likes
interesting way to put up a tower ken, on it's side?
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Posted from iPad and didn't know how to rotate it here! Ha.
Photo of Doug Hall

Doug Hall

• 187 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
You're going to enjoy the Tennadyne, Ken. The SWR curve for my T8 (attached) is not too different - they all have that characteristic spike out near 25 MHz. Mine happens to coincide with the CB band so it presents no problem.

Point your antenna down toward NC and let's have a QSO!
Doug K4DSP

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
Ken, what's antscope? How did you create that graph???
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3969 Posts
  • 1225 Reply Likes
Rig Expert AA-54 antenna analyzer. Antscope is the computer software that interfaces with it and let's you control it and display graphs on screen.

I used clipping tool to import the picture.
Photo of Jim Bryce W5HFS

Jim Bryce W5HFS

• 157 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
My T-6 at 30 feet continues to perform wonderfully. See my discussion and photos showing how I mounted it on an 8 foot quadrapod on 2 x 8s bolted through the roof to 2x 8s across roof joists in the attic.It's all on my QRZ.com page. The construction is very solid. I hope this helps others build a simple and serviceable installation. I can tilt it over and work on the antenna on the roof. 
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3971 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
I have been loving the T-11 at 38 Ft. for two years, now.  

I must say that even at only 38 ft. it has put me in an entirely different category for DXing and Contests.

I just wish I had gotten it up a year earlier.  12 Meters died right after I got it in the air, and I am sitting at 86 DXCC countries on that band.

I had barely gotten 100 total on my old antennas before the tower went up.  
Since then, I have passed 125 on every band the T-11 covers, except 12 Meters.
(see my LOTW report from August 3, 2017)

Now I only need to add 14 contacts on 12 Meters, 20 contacts on 30 Meters, and 26 contacts on 80 meters in order to run the table.  I'm not counting 160 or 6.  I'll likely never get DXCC on those bands until I retire and move to a different location.

I'll need about 20-30 more feet on the tower in order to hang a better Inverted 'L' for 160.  

I am just about ready to hang a 35 up / 30 out Inverted 'L' for 80 Meters with a couple of elevated radials.  Perhaps I will be able to snag the last 26 on 80 during the next big DX contest, if I can take the night hours off on a Saturday!  (hard to do with my job...)

Have fun!

Ken - NM9P

Photo of KC8P

KC8P

• 34 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I'm a previous owner of T-8, now I have T-11....at 60 ft. What I can say, best choice antenna for anybody with one tower and limited space, works very well from 20m - 6m. I'm at 310 DXCC at this moment.

Pictures at https://www.qrz.com/db/kc8p