Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Take the plunge and go for the 6600 or stick with the FTDX5000?

13»

Answers

• Brenton Meadows
    edited July 2017
    Hi Charles. I'm just away from where the computer is but will return an answer soon. Cheers brenton vk3cm
  • ON7NQ - Danny
    ON7NQ - Danny Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks everyone for all your replies.
    Today I have made my final decision.

IT'S A GO!

Ordered the 6600 ! ( and another toy....grin )

Any tips to keep my patience ? ;)

Regards,

Danny ON7NQ
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Congrats. And welcome to the club.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Danny,
    I used to have a FTDX9000 and now a 6700 and never looked back. --- Bet you will love the new 6600.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
    Win10

• John
    John Member
    edited November 2019
    I use both the FTdx5000 and a Flex 6500 here. LIke them both but find I use the Yaesu more. I like the sound of the Yaesu & ability to adjust code speed & volume quickly compared to the flex where I fumble using the mouse to make quick changes. I love the big spectrum display, great for DXing. Combo of two would be world's best radio ever.  W3NA
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited October 2017
    That's because with the non-"M" models your Monitor(s) connect to your PC, not to the radio.  You can certainly still have as large and as high of resolution monitor as your PC graphics card supports. (and it will be gorgeous)
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    4k is the max resolution as of version 1.11 and 2.0 of SmartSDR. It is indeed gorgeous.

• Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited October 2017
    Well... actually it's 2K not 4K, and no it is not "Ultra" HD (UHD).  The correct term is WUXGA.  But yes, awesomely gorgeous and 6x better resolution than the Japanese competitor.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The actual screen shot of the smartsdr screen is smaller because the screen capture tool will not accept the full 4k. But the picture of the screens was taken with my cellphone and you can see that the resolution is higher as it is full screen. I am not sure if you are referring to my screen or smartsdr but I am petty sure that the max resolution of the application is 4k. Maybe someone from frs can chime in. Now, if you are referring to true 4k vs 16:9 4k in today's monitors you have a point, but you are not correct about the 2k. None of the screens in my shots are 2k,there is an iiyama 40 inch 4k monitor and 2 AOC FullHD monitors in the picture.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    This is what I am referring to Bill :

image Look at the space underneath the EQ vs that same space on the previous post picture.
  • N0AZZ
    N0AZZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    There is another company that has the same thing on their reflector, Elecraft both owners are online daily along with many of the staff. They also update software more often than Flex does, I know as I own both (2) K3's and the pan adapters are very good, my DMU and the FTDX-5000MP are still in the shack and they are all used for SSB mostly.

I do really like my 6500/with Maestro which I use for all digital modes and watch 4 bands at the same time for activity on FT-8. No other radio has anywhere near the Flex 6xxx's ease of using digital modes with no other hardware required.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You can always get a Maestro which has knobs to adjust volume quickly (and code speed I believe).

Ria
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    yes code speed is quickly knob adjustable as well as many other favorite adjustable functions .  I like the programmable function keys especially. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I think Elecraft makes some great radios and accessories. They aren't Flex but that doesn't mean they don't have a good product. I have been contemplating getting a KX3 to fill that portable need. My mainstay will still be the Flex because nobody offers anything comparable, especially when it comes to ease of remote operation.

Ria
  • N0AZZ
    N0AZZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I have used my KX3 now for about 5 yrs. and it by far is the best QRP radio made. I use mine mostly in remote locations with wire antennas on mountain tops and very remote locations not even cell service there my off road Jeep is what I use to get to those locations. A 12v car battery will last me for several days if I choose to camp there. The KX3 has a very good internal tuner that will tune about anything. Wish my Maestro would work under those conditions but no internet.
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Whenever I get impatient, I just pour myself a ****. Sometimes when I get really impatient it takes several beers and then my two monitor display set up becomes a four monitor display!!! My German heritage is showing...

Brad
    KE4XJ
  • K4ELO
    K4ELO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Danny - I used the FTdx5000 for 2 years and it can't compare to the Flex radios.  Go for it!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I'm waiting for the new Flex X . . . 6 FPGA's with 32 individual slices at a time 
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    And facial recognition right!?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2017
    as long as it is not my face as it will freeze up solid.
  • ON7NQ - Danny
    ON7NQ - Danny Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Stay away from the mic....you don't want to end up calling CQ on top of a rare DXPedition ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.