Take the plunge and go for the 6600 or stick with the FTDX5000?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I've been debating changing over to FlexRadio for a while now.
After being off the air for a number of years I did trade my trusty 1000MP for a 5000...however , somehow I must have missed the FlexRadio while doing research for a new radio.
I've been playing with the LP-PAN2 and SDRPlay2 as a panadapter in combo with the 5000 and CW skimmer....and so I got hooked on SDR.
With the new 6600 comming to the scene in a few months I wonder whether I should take the plunge?
My main interest is low band DX , weak signal DX in general , digi modes , 6m DX and occasionally taking part in a contest.
Any suggestions , advice...are highly appreciated.
Thanks!

73 - ON7NQ - OP2R - Danny
Photo of ON7NQ - Danny

ON7NQ - Danny

• 23 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1849 Posts
  • 670 Reply Likes
Danny,
I used to have a FTDX9000 and now a 6700 and never looked back. --- Bet you will love the new 6600.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
Win10
Photo of John

John

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I use both the FTdx5000 and a Flex 6500 here. LIke them both but find I use the Yaesu more. I like the sound of the Yaesu & ability to adjust code speed & volume quickly compared to the flex where I fumble using the mouse to make quick changes. I love the big spectrum display, great for DXing. Combo of two would be world's best radio ever.  W3NA
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2311 Posts
  • 950 Reply Likes
You can always get a Maestro which has knobs to adjust volume quickly (and code speed I believe).

Ria
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 847 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
yes code speed is quickly knob adjustable as well as many other favorite adjustable functions .  I like the programmable function keys especially. 
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 755 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
I'm waiting for the new Flex X . . . 6 FPGA's with 32 individual slices at a time 
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1284 Posts
  • 483 Reply Likes
And facial recognition right!?
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 755 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
as long as it is not my face as it will freeze up solid.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.